The Student Room Group

Will Eminem be remembered as a Music great?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hylean
Not really. Rap does not have to include music of any sort and is dependent solely on the voice of the rapper, who chants or speaks in time to a beat, which doesn't necessarily require an audible beat. It is essentially poetry. Adding music to rap came quite later and rap does not require music. Thus, Eminem is a good rapper, in my opinion, when he's not being "Slim Shady", but in regards to music, I don't really think he's done much.

I don't think you know the definition of music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_music
Original post by iSMark
Everyone has heard of Eminem. Only a few have heard of Rakim.

That's only because his currently been relevant the last 10 years. Rakim's peak was late 80s/early 90s. Eniemem is old, his going to retire within the next 5-10 years and forgotten within the next 20.
Reply 22
Original post by T-Toe
The white Tupac.

Lol no, he's not. That's an insult to Tupac.
Original post by ak137

How you figure?
Reply 24
Original post by ak137

and eminem
See that's a similarity right there. Both of you fanboys scream that you're respective artists are the best rappers as do other fans of the respective artist.
Reply 26
Lyrically, Eminem is the best there ever has been. His mind is so much more complex than Tupac/Biggie's, he spits with real venom and aggression but most importantly, incredible passion to his cause.
Reply 27
Original post by Hylean
Music? No, as he doesn't make great music.

Rap? Quite possibly. When he isn't taking the piss, he writes some amazing lyrics.

When he is taking the piss he writes some amazing lyrics too.

The Warning is brilliant imo, not published but is one of my favourite songs/raps of his.

I think he will be remember as a great rapper amongst rap fans but maybe not with everybody else
Reply 28
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
How you figure?

Dont get me wrong, Eminem is a good rapper and all that, probably one of best white rappers after Vanilla Ice.

Tupac is much more revered in the rap scene because of his lyrics. Putting Eminem on the level of Tupac is simply an insult.

Out of the two, I like Eminem, so Im hardly biased.
Original post by Rybee
Lyrically, Eminem is the best there ever has been. His mind is so much more complex than Tupac/Biggie's, he spits with real venom and aggression but most importantly, incredible passion to his cause.

What the **** does this even mean? You're just saying a bunch of words. How is it different than me saying "Lyrically, Tupac is the best there ever has been. His mind is so much more complex than Eminem, he spits with real venom and aggression (see hit em up) but most importantly, incredible passion to his cause (see ghetto gospel, changes etc)."
Original post by ak137
Dont get me wrong, Eminem is a good rapper and all that, probably one of best white rappers after Vanilla Ice.

Tupac is much more revered in the rap scene because of his lyrics. Putting Eminem on the level of Tupac is simply an insult.

Out of the two, I like Eminem, so Im hardly biased.

Hahahahahaha. Saying Em is the best white rapper after Vanilla Ice is like saying Tupac is the best black rapper after MC Hammer. Still making me laugh reading that. Hahaha

No, he isn't. It's because his dead and by it's a mysterious death. I don't see much difference between the two. Both rap about "real ****" and both rap about "fake ****" and both rap about funny non-serious ****.
Reply 31
lol its funny cos most of the people talking on here dont actually have a working knowledge of what hip hop is.

to answer op, i think that it is unlikely eminem, or any other rapper/emcee for that matter, will ever get his just credit in terms of the mainstream/non-hip hop community and that is mostly due to the anti hip hop bias of major music publications and the media in general.
Reply 32
I'm not sure.. i think many people are not sure what to make of Eminem.. like sometimes he has heartfelt songs about his daughter or whatever, but then sometimes he releases the most stupid novelty forgettable songs
Reply 33
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Hahahahahaha. Saying Em is the best white rapper after Vanilla Ice is like saying Tupac is the best black rapper after MC Hammer. Still making me laugh reading that. Hahaha

No, he isn't. It's because his dead and by it's a mysterious death. I don't see much difference between the two. Both rap about "real ****" and both rap about "fake ****" and both rap about funny non-serious ****.

Dont be so childish with you "hahahha", how old are you?

Are you stupid or trolling? :facepalm: Vanilla Ice set the benchmark for white rappers, and I said emimem is probably the best white rapper after VI.

I dont think you know much about the rap scene.
Reply 34
Original post by ak137

Are you stupid or trolling? :facepalm: Vanilla Ice set the benchmark for white rappers, and I said emimem is probably the best white rapper after VI.

vanilla ice was not the first white rapper. check out beastie boys and 3rd bass
Reply 35
Original post by ugk4life
vanilla ice was not the first white rapper. check out beastie boys and 3rd bass

Partially correct. Beastie boys started off earlier than VI but 3rd bass did not. VI set the benchmark for white solo rappers, so you hardly can compare Eminem with a hip hop band.
Whatever I'll remember him. :h:
Reply 37
Original post by iSMark
Rap is a form of music...I'm confused.

debateable..
Original post by ak137

It's funny, why I can't I show I find it funny? No, he didn't. There were famous white hip-hop artists before him.

I've read the wikipedia page bro, I know about rap.
Reply 39
Original post by ak137
Partially correct. Beastie boys started off earlier than VI but 3rd bass did not. VI set the benchmark for white solo rappers, so you hardly can compare Eminem with a hip hop band.

but to be fair, vanilla ice was not really a rapper in the traditional sense unlike 3rd bass and mc serch in particular he was more of a pop act in the same vein as flo rida. eminem is more of an emcee so the two cannot really be compared.

Quick Reply

Latest