Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does Scandium only exist in the 3+ ion

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why does Scandium ion only exist in the 3+ state?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can see that Scandium is in group 3 of the periodic table. This means that it has 3 valance electrons and will have an electronic configuration of [Ar] 3s2 3p1. In order to achieve a stable octet, you can see that removing 3 electrons will give it the electronic configuration of Ar, thus making Sc3+

Scandium will probably exist in the +2 and +1 state, they are just not very stable (If anyone definitively knows, I will be very interested). In the +1 state, it will have a stable filled 3s2 sub-shell and in the +2 state, it will have a stable(ish) half-filled 3s1 sub-shell. Scandium can also exist in higher oxidation states, but this cannot be achieved chemically as the energy needed to remove electrons from the stable octet would be too high.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qiaoyu.he)
    You can see that Scandium is in group 3 of the periodic table. This means that it has 3 valance electrons and will have an electronic configuration of [Ar] 3s2 3p1. In order to achieve a stable octet, you can see that removing 3 electrons will give it the electronic configuration of Ar, thus making Sc3+

Scandium will probably exist in the +2 and +1 state, they are just not very stable (If anyone definitively knows, I will be very interested). In the +1 state, it will have a stable filled 3s2 sub-shell and in the +2 state, it will have a stable(ish) half-filled 3s1 sub-shell. Scandium can also exist in higher oxidation states, but this cannot be achieved chemically as the energy needed to remove electrons from the stable octet would be too high.
    scandium is in d-block NOT s/p block
    your rule only really applies to s/p ions/elements
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid it's not as simple as 'existing' as the 3+ ion. What is true is that in aqueous solution at most (possibly all - I'm not sure) pH values Sc (III) is the most stable oxidation state.

However there probably exist complexes with certain ligands for which other oxidation states of scandium are more stable. Unfortunately I can't explain the sort of factors which might stabilise other oxidation states cause you won't have covered it at A level.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    I'm afraid it's not as simple as 'existing' as the 3+ ion. What is true is that in aqueous solution at most (possibly all - I'm not sure) pH values Sc (III) is the most stable oxidation state.

However there probably exist complexes with certain ligands for which other oxidation states of scandium are more stable. Unfortunately I can't explain the sort of factors which might stabilise other oxidation states cause you won't have covered it at A level.
    ok
    thanks anyway
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a point of interest.... I don't believe any Sc +1 or +2 are known. Possible that a +2 exists, but it would be horrendously unstable.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.