Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buddhist reads, anyone?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've recently become increasingly interested in Buddhism, but so far all I know is stuff I got from the internet. Could anyone tell me which Buddhist texts I should start with??
    Thank you in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phaethon)
    Hi all,

I've recently become increasingly interested in Buddhism, but so far all I know is stuff I got from the internet. Could anyone tell me which Buddhist texts I should start with??
    Thank you in advance

If you have amazon account, go to audible and download " The Tibetan book of Living and Dying", It is really good book to listen to while doing your things, walking, travelling, etc. for three month member you just need to pay 3.99/ month and you can download three books in 3 months time. I am not promoting amazon or Buddhism, i have listened the whole book and m sure you will love it. This book have touched some part of Bardo, I have been listening to BARDO and other stories of reincarnation from Hinduism believe ever since i was a kid, these are very interesting. I believe in it as well, in Asian countries where people believe in reincarnation, it does happen. I knew reincarnation from my neighbor's little girl who used to talk weird things about her death, it was scary, i was kid as well..
    how about starting with Youtube.
    Check this out in youtube: The Tibetan Book of the Dead - The Great Liberation (Part 1/5)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rs7akm87x4

Also, watch: Unmistaken Child Documentary in youtube

I don't know about other Buddhism but in tibetian buddhism, everyone should get a teacher, Guru.
    You can go and listen to Dalai Lama, i think he is in UK now. But you don't have to make him your teacher.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_limbu)
    If you have amazon account, go to audible and download " The Tibetan book of Living and Dying", It is really good book to listen to while doing your things, walking, travelling, etc. for three month member you just need to pay 3.99/ month and you can download three books in 3 months time. I am not promoting amazon or Buddhism, i have listened the whole book and m sure you will love it. This book have touched some part of Bardo, I have been listening to BARDO and other stories of reincarnation from Hinduism believe ever since i was a kid, these are very interesting. I believe in it as well, in Asian countries where people believe in reincarnation, it does happen. I knew reincarnation from my neighbor's little girl who used to talk weird things about her death, it was scary, i was kid as well..
    how about starting with Youtube.
    Check this out in youtube: The Tibetan Book of the Dead - The Great Liberation (Part 1/5)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rs7akm87x4

Also, watch: Unmistaken Child Documentary in youtube

I don't know about other Buddhism but in tibetian buddhism, everyone should get a teacher, Guru.
    You can go and listen to Dalai Lama, i think he is in UK now. But you don't have to make him your teacher.
    Hi, thanks for your help! Actually, though I will check out what you advised me, I was rather looking for what to start reading in terms of the teachings of the Buddha himself. I've heard the compilation of the latter represent nine times the length of the Bible, so I know I'll never read it all where do I start?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably best to get the story of the Bhuda and a a book of Bhudist Scriptures
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    Probably best to get the story of the Bhuda and a a book of Bhudist Scriptures
    Thanks my question is 'which' of the scriptures to start with^^
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks my question is 'which' of the scriptures to start with^^
    I'm not sure - the ones I have are just called 'Budhist Scriptures' by Penguin Classics. Think it's at least 20 years old (they were my Dad's)
    Also I found a book called 'Budhism' by Christmas Humpreys. Just an introduction to Budhism I think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for your help! Actually, though I will check out what you advised me, I was rather looking for what to start reading in terms of the teachings of the Buddha himself. I've heard the compilation of the latter represent nine times the length of the Bible, so I know I'll never read it all where do I start?
    Oops! sorry i don't know the answer about it. I think those books are written in Pali language which we won't be able to understand it. I got interested in Buddhism after coming in to UK. I was never interested earlier in my life. In Nepal, we follow both hinduism and buddhism, without any difference. we bring in lama to read scripts and prayers, if we have to organise prayer at home and equally we bring a hindu brahamin priest.
    Actually most of us, we end up not learning anything in depth. But now i feel like learning buddhism and follow its path. Though i realized that it is hard to practice compassion in UK environment.
    wish you luck with your search

i just saw this book in audible: The Voice of the Buddha: The Dhammapada and Other Key Buddhist Teachings &
    Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.