Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Awesome Lasers.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who else thinks lasers are awesome?
    I tried to buy a 250mW laser (your average powerpoint laser is <1mW) from some UK store but they said only legitimate non consumers could buy it which annoyed me. UK is really a crappy nanny state, you can't buy guns and stuff and that's fine but you can't even buy powerful lasers? Shame on the UK nanny state.

Anyhow I'll be going to France where the law is more lax, hopefully I'll buy lasers powerful enough to melt through skin :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OmeletteAuFromage)
    I tried to buy a 250mW laser (your average powerpoint laser is >1mW) from some UK store but they said only legitimate non consumers could buy it which annoyed me. UK is really a crappy nanny state, you can't buy guns and stuff and that's fine but you can't even buy powerful lasers? Shame on the UK nanny state.

Anyhow I'll be going to France where the law is more lax, hopefully I'll buy lasers powerful enough to melt through skin :cool:
    I have to agree with you, most fun stuff is either unavailable to the public or illegal

I have always wanted some smoke grenades (The real thing, not the crap used for paintball/airsoft) but they are classed as explosive devices so they are illegal. I powerful laser would be fun too, as long as it could burn things from a few metres away.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott1541)
    I have to agree with you, most fun stuff is either unavailable to the public or illegal

I have always wanted some smoke grenades (The real thing, not the crap used for paintball/airsoft) but they are classed as explosive devices so they are illegal. I powerful laser would be fun too, as long as it could burn things from a few metres away.
    Smoke grenades sound sweet, only a retard would class that as an explosive.
    I'm gonna buy a laser with maybe 500mW? Something that can at least pop balloons from a good distance in a few seconds.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tried to buy a 250mW laser (your average powerpoint laser is <1mW) from some UK store but they said only legitimate non consumers could buy it which annoyed me. UK is really a crappy nanny state, you can't buy guns and stuff and that's fine but you can't even buy powerful lasers? Shame on the UK nanny state.

And therein lies the problem with lasers being freely available.

Also, blinding pilots is ****ing stupid.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:

What do you need a 250mW laser for? There's restrictions on the sale of this sort of kit for a very good reason - their misuse has the capability to cause severe injury. Restricting their sale to fit and proper people/organisations is sensible.

What qualifies you as a fit and proper person?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    lasers are awesome pieces of technology but the ones you can buy in shops are fun for about 30 seconds.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    After reading your posts I personally believe you should stick to the Poundland ones people buy for their pets.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Smoke grenades sound sweet, only a retard would class that as an explosive.
    I'm gonna buy a laser with maybe 500mW? Something that can at least pop balloons from a good distance in a few seconds.
    What are you going to use a 500mW laser for in fact what are you going to use a 250mW laser for? Burning through skin like you said in your OP?

Are you an idiot?

Smoke grenades can result in death if used incorrectly.

I'm glad there is restrictions on these sorts of items so that idiots like you can't get a hold of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Yeah, there are restrictions on anything above 1mW. I have a 300 or 500 mW green laser which I imported a year or two years ago. Used it once in a dark field, it was amazing, and then kept it in my cupboard since. I know the dangers of laser pointers in the wrong hands. It's more a novelty item than anything anyway.
    Can you tell me which online store you bought that laser from? I'm thinking of importing one as well but many of the online stores that sell lasers look dodgy to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . . .)
    What are you going to use a 500mW laser for in fact what are you going to use a 250mW laser for? Burning through skin like you said in your OP?

Are you an idiot?

Smoke grenades can result in death if used incorrectly.

I'm glad there is restrictions on these sorts of items so that idiots like you can't get a hold of them.
    I was just kidding about burning through skin. I'm a physicist so I have experiments I want to conduct but I need a powerful laser.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just kidding about burning through skin. I'm a physicist so I have experiments I want to conduct but I need a powerful laser.
    So if you're a physicist then speak to the relevant authorities and get permission to purchase one.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.