The Student Room Group

Higher History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scrabble96
What are the reasons on why the labour reforms were introduced?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That's not one of the issues. If you mean liberal reforms, then I have:
1) Investigations into poverty (Booth and Rowntree, 30% poverty level, showed it was a nationwide concern and required government intervention)
2) Changes in the Liberal Party (Old Liberals - laissez faire ideology, New Liberals - government intervention was required in some cases)
3) Rise of the Labour Party - Lib/Lab seen as trying to outdo each other to gain working class votes.
4) Concerns about National Security (example of the Boer War showing malnutrition amongst soldiers, worries that Britain would not win in war against a stronger enemy)
5) National Efficiency - the UK were falling behind countries such as Germany and the US as we relied heavily on old industries (coal, shipbuilding)
6) Reform in other countries - Germany already had a system of welfare benefits and pensions.
Original post by Herzschmerz
That's not one of the issues. If you mean liberal reforms, then I have:
1) Investigations into poverty (Booth and Rowntree, 30% poverty level, showed it was a nationwide concern and required government intervention)
2) Changes in the Liberal Party (Old Liberals - laissez faire ideology, New Liberals - government intervention was required in some cases)
3) Rise of the Labour Party - Lib/Lab seen as trying to outdo each other to gain working class votes.
4) Concerns about National Security (example of the Boer War showing malnutrition amongst soldiers, worries that Britain would not win in war against a stronger enemy)
5) National Efficiency - the UK were falling behind countries such as Germany and the US as we relied heavily on old industries (coal, shipbuilding)
6) Reform in other countries - Germany already had a system of welfare benefits and pensions.

Oh yeah...doh! Thanks! Do you think this will come up tomorrow?

I really don't know, but I hope either one of the Liberal questions do come up, since I haven't revised democracy, and though I can do the womens' and Labour questions not too bad, I'm much better at the Liberals. I think there will probably be a question on democracy, a question on Liberals and a question on either womens' suffrage or Labour, but that's just a guess, really.
Reply 123
Hi! I was just wondering, I am trying to memorise both the Liberals essays and the Labour essays, do you think that at least one of them will come up tomorrow?? So scared :frown: And both Nazi essays for the Germany unit. We haven't ever been taught anything else for the Germany unit so I don't know what i'll do if the Nazi's don't come up! :frown:

Good luck for everyone tomorrow!
Reply 124
Could someone please explain to me how an issue corresponds to a number? I’ve been reading that issues 1, 3 and 5 came up last year. So that meant the more democratic, women's votes and civil rights questions came up. How does this all work?!
If the Labour reforms come up, im doing democracy >.< I don't remember ever doing them, and they aren't in my jotter :O :P Aww well.

Anyway, my plan over the last few weeks is just to cement 6 points of Ku into my head for each section i wanna do, then learn structure. Afterall, the exam is marked,

Idk if that's the proper name for them all, but shh
6 - ku
4 - structure
10 - evaluation and analysis

so basically, you can bull your way to victory ^..^ :biggrin:

And if anyone is doing Russia, im studying the hell out of the incompitence of Nicholas II and the pilars of autocracy to keep controll :P
Reply 126
Original post by Jamieboy113
If the Labour reforms come up, im doing democracy >.< I don't remember ever doing them, and they aren't in my jotter :O :P Aww well.

Anyway, my plan over the last few weeks is just to cement 6 points of Ku into my head for each section i wanna do, then learn structure. Afterall, the exam is marked,

Idk if that's the proper name for them all, but shh
6 - ku
4 - structure
10 - evaluation and analysis

so basically, you can bull your way to victory ^..^ :biggrin:

And if anyone is doing Russia, im studying the hell out of the incompitence of Nicholas II and the pilars of autocracy to keep controll :P

Incompetence.
Pillars.
Ah. I saw it was your first post. I feel like a terrible person now.
Original post by Norton1
Incompetence.
Pillars.
Ah. I saw it was your first post. I feel like a terrible person now.

You should also realize the time of day in which i posted, take into account that i was writing notes down at the same time, as well as looking for useful quotes.
One more thing, this is a thread, of course I'm not going to be completely grammatically correct, as this... Isn't an exam.

:colone: :tongue: :colondollar: :angry:
Reply 128
Good luck everyone!
Good luck guys :-)

Reply 130
Actually pretty easy!
Reply 131
Well, I totally derped on the time for paper 1 and couldn't finish my conclusion for either of the essays. Does anyone know how that will affect the mark? I can always appeal if it's disastrous.
Did not like paper 2 at all and was thrown by the questions for paper 1, did not expect issue 5 to come up. Managed to write an essay on Liberal Reforms and managed to ramble on for the fascist powers one for appeasement, how did everyone else find it?
I loved the paper 1 question- got the 2 I wanted- effectiveness of Liberal Reforms and Nazi maintenance of power!
Paper 2... didn't like as much- maybe it was because I had revised for it less or maybe it was difficult? What did everyone think of it?
Paper one was a dreeeeeeam :smile: all my questions came up but I chose liberals and nazi rise to power. Paper two was alright so I'm happppy!!

Reply 135
Thank God, I was worried over nothing! ><
Paper 1, Liberal Reforms & Czechoslovakia and Paper 2 wasn't bad, just a ton of recall!
Hope they don't penalize my awful handwriting though
for the last two questions on paper 2 i put like 1 statistic down - mainly talked crap like 'jute went into decline because of fallign demand'

do you need statistics to get marks?
Paper 2 was quite bad I thought, difficultly worded, especially the last question as I'm worried some of the things I've put down are not really "political developments", suppose we shall wait and see.

Quite liked Paper 1, shame about no Bismarck and Lib Motives though, can almost guarantee that will come up next year now.
Reply 138
2 essays i was happy to do but i haaate how little time there is, rushed both of them so i could get conclusions in,

paper 2 was alright i thought but the last question was a weeee bit funny.
The Britain essays were amazing, I did Labour and German nationalism :smile: really pleased, thought they'd put a horrible twist on it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending