The Student Room Group

Fron SG to Higher, tips & advice

I understand that Standard Grade to Higher is a big jump(in work load etc.), so I was just wondering whether people could share there tips/ advice / experiences to those of us going in to higher this year, as I think it could be helpful! Many Thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't leave revision until the last minute, make sure you know and have a basic understanding of everything in the course, fear higher english, and answer all the questions. Just my advice :biggrin:
Reply 2
Make sure you start working from day one, don't leave it until Christmas when you suddenly have the prospect of prelims and final exams within the next few months. Start early and it will pay off in the end. Past papers are the key to most subject (except english for that practice essays and read quality newspapers, it's more of a skill you learn rather than a subject).
Most importantly, don't worry! You'll get through it just like we got through it this year and every year before you.
Reply 3
It isn't as big a jump as they make out TBH. As always I've messed about all year then study like hell from March onwards so feeling good for exams:badger:
Try relax though for Higher and don't get stressed, it's not even a year of your life so will be over pretty quickly.
Reply 4
Standard grade to higher isn't that bad, the jump in subjects like English and History is strange as it is quite different in that you need to do 2 essays in an hour and a half, but you get used to that. The jump in subjects like Maths can seem a lot at some points just as everything is more difficult, and sciences are okay going from SG to higher, but overall, going from SG to higher is not that bad, a much greater workload, yes, and a lot less time to learn things in, but surprisingly you become accustomed to the changes quickly and as long as you repeatedly study from the beginning, the jump isn't that bad and you will do well. Trust me, it is less of a jump than people make it out to be, and you should surprise yourself what you are capable of :biggrin:
Reply 5
Repeating what others are saying, really! I am looking back now and thinking about how little I knew just last August, and how in such a short time span we learn so much! 5th year might be hell but it sure is over very quickly, so think about that, haha! There is no need to do hardcore revision throughout the ENTIRE year, but looking back over work you have done in a week can help keep the information in your head.
Original post by scottish19
Make sure you start working from day one, don't leave it until Christmas when you suddenly have the prospect of prelims and final exams within the next few months. Start early and it will pay off in the end. .

This. My biggest mistake the first time I took Highers (2009-2010 session) was thinking I could just blow off studying like I did in Standard Grade. As a result I barely scraped passes and have had to do a further two years of Highers at college.
I found the jump was less about the difficulty of the work and more the amount of work. For example, in Higher German I had homework due in every lesson, in 4th year I maybe had homework due 2 lessons a week.
Basically if you actually do the work in school, do all your homework and go over your notes at home you should be fine.
Please listen to your teachers... Don't sit and talk at all when there explaining things, it'll bite you in the rear end in May :P Also your homework might increase or it could stay the same. And reading over your Class notes every night for 5 minutes per subject cant go amiss either.
Reply 9
I agree with everyone else here, it's really the sheer volume of work that changes, but I actually found the things I learned at Higher to be more interesting than in Standard Grade, especially in subjects like Biology. I also suggest not leaving it all to the last minute, like I did.
For all subjects - I recommend that each evening you write out the notes that you've taken down during the day in class, I did this for all my subjects and it's a great method of memory retention. Make sure to then read over these every so often and it will stick.

For Maths - do every single piece of homework you get, all of it, too many people I know have a tendency to not do the maths homework given because the teacher won't check it, they've only ever got bad grades. The ones who do homework and attempt it all get the good grades they deserve, it is that simple. (this method got me an A at 85% in the Maths prelim after getting a 2 in Standard Grade, it does work).

History - Get outline plans sorted for each topic as soon as you have learnt them and moved onto the next one, this will save much more time in the long term (believe me, I'm sitting here having to get an essay plan sorted with the exam on Friday, not a problem because I've done the rest but I know plenty of others who haven't even looked at doing them, and they take at least 2 or more hours to do properly, too long to get proper revision done). And do plenty of timed essays and get them all marked, by far the best way to retain information.

English - actually learn the quotes early on and read the texts, I discovered the effect of not doing this today (although I luckily had enough to get me through so think I've done okay). And practice some close reading passages occasionally. It is quite a considerable jump between SG and Higher for this subject, don't let it bring you down. Also, the Textual Analysis NAB is an absolute nightmare, so revise for it beforehand and write everything you see down, no matter how insignificant it seems (you'll understand this more when you get to the NAB!)

But yeah, overall, it's almost definitely not as big a jump as the teachers will make it out to be, for most anyway, but if you want to do well then you do need to put some effort in.
On the note of Homework aswell. At my school at least we got alot of homework which is just extracted from past papers. Like in Chemistry we could just copy the question, put quotation marks around it and BOOM answer.

Don't do this. You WILL regret it.
Don't look up SQA answer schemes as well if you get past paper questions as homework, it will not help you in the long term :biggrin:
Reply 13
I wouldn't say go home and revise every night your notes, but do take into account that when you don't understand something take the time out to sit down and look over it until you get the concept of it and if you can't ask a teacher. Don't feel embarrassed as there are loads of other people who probably will be confused as well.

If you're doing SG Modern Studies and then doing Higher it is a completely different way of working, the final exam consists of a DME (which to an extent is Enquire Skills from SG and a hint of Background Knowledge) and four essays which you must write. Higher Modern Studies is definitely in the top three hardest Higher subjects and it requires a lot of constant revision and you need to be good at English otherwise this subject is not for you.
Any advice for Higher Geography maybe? :biggrin: I would be grateful.
Is it really difficult?
Reply 15
Original post by Nessie162
Any advice for Higher Geography maybe? :biggrin: I would be grateful.
Is it really difficult?

It's difficult but manageable :smile: have you done any geography before or would it be a crash?
Reply 16
Original post by nerd434
Do you think it's a good idea to 'self-study' the course whilst being taught it by the teacher? For example moving ahead of the class and trying to finish some courses early while the teacher recaps it in class?

I can tend to forget things I learn earlier in the year so it's easier for me to finish the course quickly and try to have as much time for revision as possible!

I understand I probably couldn't use this method for English or History but I'm thinking more along the lines of Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology? Good idea?

Don't go too far ahead :tongue: In chemistry it's not a good idea - I did higher over two years (causse of the school) and in my first year i did nothing at all and was just passing on the past papers. This year, I did know it all but still did all the class work anyway. Your best bet is to do extra past paper questions on the things you cover. E.g in Section One, you do bonding and recap your Standard Grade/Int 2 knowledge. Find these kind of questions in your papt paper and do them :smile: (normally qns 1-10 Section A and Qns 1/2 in Section B)

Same really applies for Biology, although it is easier to self-teach :smile:
Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by lapples
It's difficult but manageable :smile: have you done any geography before or would it be a crash?

Standard Grade... And I hope to get a 1 for exam :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Nessie162
Standard Grade... And I hope to get a 1 for exam :smile:

the most important question is do you enjoy it?
Original post by nerd434
Do you think it's a good idea to 'self-study' the course whilst being taught it by the teacher? For example moving ahead of the class and trying to finish some courses early while the teacher recaps it in class?

I can tend to forget things I learn earlier in the year so it's easier for me to finish the course quickly and try to have as much time for revision as possible!

I understand I probably couldn't use this method for English or History but I'm thinking more along the lines of Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology? Good idea?

Quite possibly, but I'd say that you might risk misunderstanding something, but I can certainly see the benefits in you working ahead and then having it gone over again in class to re-inforce it.

Although, I'd say that as much as you might stick to it for the first month or so, it may slack a bit :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending