Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else scared to use the phone?

Announcements Posted on
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same! I never answer the home phone UNLESS i'm 100% sure who it is! Which annoys my parents greatly! But, i'm completely fine talking to people in person! It's just via the phone which I don't like!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah, unless I'm drunk I don't really like using the phone. It's like "hey... how are you?" :confused:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate making phone calls too,would much rather text or send an email to the person involved.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should go and see a therapist on why you are scared of phones. And that I think also will take a considerable amount of courage to phone the therapist to book an appointment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I really don't like it. I'm better than I was (I'm 20 now for goodness sake) but I still rather email or talk to someone face to face. I don't know why, I think it's because I communicate a lot with body language and you can't do that on the phone, you also don't know who you're talking to. Yet I'm fine standing in front of a lecture theatre of 100 talking :/

To whoever said work in a call centre. It might help for a bit. I worked in the breakdown call centre of my current insurance company and it was a great job but I feel when you're at work you have a 'work voice and (kinda fake) confidence' so it's different.

Good luck, just write things down, take deep breaths etc
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to not like answering or making calls, but being forced to ring student finance about 15 times in 2010 drastically reduced my problem. You just have to force yourself because in a job you will have to make calls, and many application processes involve telephone interviews. I still get nervous before making calls but without the Student Finance practise I don't know how I would have handled a telephone interview!

It's all about getting used to it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like that, but once you're finished with the phone call it didn't seem as bad as you had expected it to be. I worked as a telephonist a while ago, so that helped me get over the fear.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really uncomfortable on the phone with anyone except my best friend (also the only person I'm completely comfortable around in real life). For me it was caused by my phonecalls being listened to when I was younger. You learn to deal with it over time, but it never goes away. I try to avoid phoning if possible and make sure anyone I get on with knows I'm incredibly uncomfortable with on the phone, but you'll never be able to avoid phone calls completely.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    So guys i assume you have ordered a Pizza by phone?

How scary is this for you?
    I haven't, if I order a Dominos I use the website.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I'm with you, this is pretty sad. There's a difference between being awkward and just being odd. How are you going to cope with normal, everyday adult life if you can't even cope with using a phone? :lolwut:
    I think thats a bit harsh, people fear small spaces, is that sad too? Or the dark?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I haven't, if I order a Dominos I use the website.
    K, no problem.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be exactly the same and I had a good friend who was worse than me. We had to write a script for her when she had to ring the doctors once, but it actually helped! It might help you to write down all the details and things, just so it's clear in your mind and on paper what you need to say,

Since going to Uni though, I can call anyone & talk to anyone. I'll even talk to people on the bus now (well if they talk first!) It's all about confidence. I'm sure once you've gone through the process of registering at Uni and having to talk to hundreds of people in freshers week, you'll find it gets a lot easier all of a sudden, even if it is quite daunting at first. Well if you aren't already at Uni that is ...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    For some reason I'm terrified of using the phone. I'm pretty shy but I'm usually okay in person but I get so scared when I have to speak to someone I don't know on the phone. It's especially annoying when I have to important things to sort out and they don't have an email address.

I never know what to say and I always think I'll explain something wrong and they won't have any clue what I'm on about and I'll get embarrassed. I'm supposed to call Student Finance today. I've been ordered to by my dad, neither he nor my mum understand why I'm scared of the phone. They just think I'm being awkward but I'm REALLY scared. I sent them a message on the SF facebook page but all they said was to talk to an advisor...yeh, thanks a lot! -_-

What's wrong with me?
    I'm like that! Hate talking to people on the phone, I normally get all tongue tied and then sound really stupid. If I have to talk to someone, I write down what to say like a script. It sounds really weird but it works for me good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    I used to be exactly the same and I had a good friend who was worse than me. We had to write a script for her when she had to ring the doctors once, but it actually helped! It might help you to write down all the details and things, just so it's clear in your mind and on paper what you need to say,

Since going to Uni though, I can call anyone & talk to anyone. I'll even talk to people on the bus now (well if they talk first!) It's all about confidence. I'm sure once you've gone through the process of registering at Uni and having to talk to hundreds of people in freshers week, you'll find it gets a lot easier all of a sudden, even if it is quite daunting at first. Well if you aren't already at Uni that is ...
    Really? :confused:

So weird.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to be terrible at phoning anyone I knew, in case I said something stupid, but owlud be fine calling call centres etc.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    So guys i assume you have ordered a Pizza by phone?

How scary is this for you?
    I am okay with ordering pizza and things like that - it's just having to call a member of authority like a teacher, company, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate buttons)
    I am okay with ordering pizza and things like that - it's just having to call a member of authority like a teacher, company, etc.

OK, i understand that.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get that too. I'm always too scared to phone up the hairdressers when my mum asks me to!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Same. Can only speak to my close family, mum,dad, sister anyone else I'm frightened to talk on the phone to. However at work. if I need to use the phone. I feel like I answer the phone confidently enough. Strange.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.