The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kya
Honour killings?
When did an honour killing happen in the UK that WAS related to regular muslims and not terrorists?

Wow, are you really asking this? :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16014368

UK police recorded at least 2,823 so-called honour attacks last year, figures from 39 out of 52 forces show.
Original post by ThumbsUp
Oh okay, the man is a manwhore, whose only tiny iota of wisdom lies in his boxers, happy now :smile:

No he's just a whore. By saying manwhore you are implying you think being a whore is something that is primarily a female trait.

Edit: Just been corrected - carry on!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
No he's just a whore. By saying manwhore you are implying you think being a whore is something that is primarily a female trait.

'Whore' means female prostitute. You can't use a female-specific word to describe a male, hence the word manwhore. Blame the dictionary.
Original post by hamzazulfiqar
well isnt she ? banging in the back seat of a taxi in which the cop and the driver witnessed. stupied hoer needs to be locked up for a looongg time.

no, the driver witnessed and both the man and the woman are denying they had sex. Whos to say driver isnt lying and all they did was kiss, and had alcohol and he didnt like it?

Locked up for a long time for having sex? Grow up.

I'm not saying she should have had sex in this taxi (why again, are you ignoring the man also did this and broke the law?), or was not stupid and behaved idiotically, but honestly, westerners have sex with eachother and get drunk and if Dubai wants their tourism it should accommodate this. I know a few people myself who have passed on going there for a holiday due to their strict rules and people being locked up for kissing their partners.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
So what do you call the man, then?

A lad i guess.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
'Whore' means female prostitute. You can't use a female-specific word to describe a male, hence the word manwhore. Blame the dictionary.

Maybe the appropriate word is 'rentboy'?
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

So it is! My mistake.
Love how she was educated in a Catholic school. Pure irony.
1. Build tourism hotspot
2. Persecute for alcohol consumption

Logic; not even once.
I already stated that if I applied the same criteria the man would also be a 'manwhore' or whatever the male equivalent of a slut is.
Reply 70
Isn't sex in public illegal in most places???? And I would say a taxi counts.

Anyway, its their laws. She shouldn't be ignorant of them.
Reply 71
quite a leniant considering...
Reply 72
I spend quite a lot of time in Dubai and would say that most people are relaxed and tolerant. That said, you can only push that tolerance so far and I would never have sex in public. You need to understand that having sex outside of marriage is against their laws and, to do it in your own home privately is one thing, but to do it in a taxi is making it impossible for them to ignore....

Facing some jail time for having sex in the back of a taxi is not disproportionate and I will add that the man will normally face the same penalty. In light of the woman's nationality, it's likely she would simply be deported if the foreign office decided to weigh in.

You would be an idiot to be snogging in the back of a Dubai taxi, forget anything else. As I said, locals are tolerant but you should also be tolerant to their laws and culture. If you are sensible, keep displays of affection reasonable and respectful and make sure you only have sex in your own home (hardly onerous conditions...) you won't have any problems in Dubai.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
no, the driver witnessed and both the man and the woman are denying they had sex. Whos to say driver isnt lying and all they did was kiss, and had alcohol and he didnt like it?

Locked up for a long time for having sex? Grow up.

I'm not saying she should have had sex in this taxi (why again, are you ignoring the man also did this and broke the law?), or was not stupid and behaved idiotically, but honestly, westerners have sex with eachother and get drunk and if Dubai wants their tourism it should accommodate this. I know a few people myself who have passed on going there for a holiday due to their strict rules and people being locked up for kissing their partners.

Many Muslims have a strong belief that it is utterly wrong behaviour. As all countries do, including the UK, with behaviour they deem utterly unacceptable, it was made illegal.

It's irrelevant what you think is right or wrong, it's not your country.

Dubai wants it's tourism and it gets it's tourism. They couldn't care less if a bunch of British students didn't want to go there because they want to, from their perspective, engage in inappropriate behaviour. Though having been to Dubai, I have no idea why you'd want to go on holiday there anyway. What exactly were you planning to do? You have to spend Summer pretty much indoors if you don't want to collapse from sunstroke, and Dubai basically just revolves around posh hotels and giant malls.
Reply 74
This is a pointless thread.
Reply 75
Original post by philistine
1. Build tourism hotspot
2. Persecute for alcohol consumption

Logic; not even once.

I live in Dubai and I think it's perfectly logical.
Although Dubai runs on tourism, this doesn't mean it must allow people to wander drunkenly on its streets whilst others who aren't used to such behavior should simply be expected to tolerate it.

In Dubai, it is perfectly accepted that expats and tourists drink but this is done in designated areas such as bars, clubs, hotels and the privacy of one's home, and therefore should remain in these areas and not force exposure to the rest of society who do not want to be part of it.

I think that's quite fair and logical.
It's similar to not being allowed to publicly smoke in the UK.
So it's quite justified that this women should be prosecuted due to a law that really isn't that strict, and which allows for her to drink/ have sex as long as she isn't stupid enough to publicly carry it out.

Just because it may not agree with her culture, she should have the decency to respect that of those whose country she is in.
Reply 76
The problem is not the sentence, the problem is that there is this law about sex before marriage. "There is no compulsion in religion" therefore Islam states cannot by their own scripture enforce laws based entirely on religion on their citizens.

Of course, public sex is not acceptable, but I think the main problem was the before marriage part.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you don't like the laws in a country, don't go there. Simple. She should be punished for she has commited a crime of their land, regardless of her nationality.
Original post by sbobat
I live in Dubai and I think it's perfectly logical.
Although Dubai runs on tourism, this doesn't mean it must allow people to wander drunkenly on its streets whilst others who aren't used to such behavior should simply be expected to tolerate it.

In Dubai, it is perfectly accepted that expats and tourists drink but this is done in designated areas such as bars, clubs, hotels and the privacy of one's home, and therefore should remain in these areas and not force exposure to the rest of society who do not want to be part of it.

I think that's quite fair and logical.
It's similar to not being allowed to publicly smoke in the UK.
So it's quite justified that this women should be prosecuted due to a law that really isn't that strict, and which allows for her to drink/ have sex as long as she isn't stupid enough to publicly carry it out.

Just because it may not agree with her culture, she should have the decency to respect that of those whose country she is in.

But you are missing the point, which is that they have steaming deals just asking for trouble like £10 drink buffets (if a bar was doing this in the UK there would be outrage, it has happened before), yet drinking and being drunk is illegal!? what average brit isnt going to take advantage of an offer like £10 all you can drink?

Then you have people who are drunk who need to travel safely from these designated drinking areas, which is illegal and carries a fine as you can not be drunk in public! How contradictory is that?

Whats the point in allowing tourists to drink themselves silly if you are going to arrest them when they are blind drunk and go unavoidably into public in order to get back to their home/hotel?
(edited 11 years ago)
What about the man?

Latest