Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

How do they get away with it?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, so whever we we hear about "hate speach" in the west (to generalise) its all over the media, national outcry, massive condemnation etc etc.

Now head over to youtube, type in any Arabic nation, followed by "cleric", and then any word from

Jews
    Homosexuals
    Women
    Apostates
    Athiests
    Christians
    Westeners

And watch the hate flow, particulary for the first group. Essentially, various clerics on arabic dish channels basically call for genocide every hour or so.

I take the no holds bar approach to free speach, there should be no restrictions. However we generally don't have that system, different continents view free speach differently, and censor one area, where the other does no, and vice versa, and there are laws.

Yet theses Sheiks and clerics and not scrutinised, there isn't a peep from the media, and there is no recogntion.

I mean FFS, the BBC actively avoid trying to give a balanced view of who the people are in the arab spring, its a mish mash of yong liberal secularists, and older philosophical types, and then the islamists, muslim brotherhood, and insurgents from N/N.W African nations.

Western media will only report that the arab spring and the continuing conflict in syria is a peacefull protests vs the authoritarian state.

I beg to differ

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeToFightBack1
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you type Islam into youtube you get loads of hate videos. It's not a one way thing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    If you type Islam into youtube you get loads of hate videos. It's not a one way thing.
    Aaahhh yes, the "immediately compare the original argument to something else" tactic, is not a debating method.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Aaahhh yes, the "immediately compare the original argument to something else" tactic, is not a debating method.
    I wasn't comparing anything, I was simply saying things go both ways.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's because the media and the general population know that Arabs (both nations and citizens)aren't a beacon of tolerance and liberalism whereas we are supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong, young liberal secularist annoy but so do your type. Your type just like to sympathize with the opposite viewpoint. If someone brings up Saadam, you bring up anything that Kurds or opposing groups did. If someone brings up Gaddafi, you bring up rebels and their injustices. If someone brings up Khamenei, you do some digging and try to find anything bad that the opposition did in order to discredit their movement and try to legitimize Khamenei.

Lets look at the youtube channel you provided. One video is protesters holding up the Al-Qadea flag. The Al-Qadea flag contains the inscription Shahada and the Shahada is of very importance to Muslims. I don't doubt that the person holding up knows and supports Al-Qadea but there's no evidence to suggest the others do and to them it merely looks like a flag with the Shahada. And you're forgetting that these people are just a fraction of the opposition and don't really represent them. Next video, a video of a bombing that proclaims it's the opposition. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18015935 This article by the BBC is very unbiased unlike your video. It doesn't blame either side and acknowledges that both sides have blamed each other. Then, there's a bunch of videos about the evils a couple of the supposed opposition did. However, this video are just baseless claims and don't provide evidence or context. This is why mainstream media won't report it. It would be biased to.

By the way, I extend this skepticism to videos showing unverified evil of Assad's army.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)

Don't get me wrong, young liberal secularist annoy but so do your type. Your type

I suggest you stop right there, I support the side that will bring the most social liberalism, you seem to have mistaken me for some high-ranking neo-con who supports "foreign stabilisation", so will support whoever poses the least threat to militarist intervention and corporate interests.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    I suggest you stop right there, I support the side that will bring the most social liberalism, you seem to have mistaken me for some high-ranking neo-con who supports "foreign stabilisation", so will support whoever poses the least threat to militarist intervention and corporate interests.
    Fair enough, it's hard to sometimes to know. Still a valid criticism of the yotuube channel you posted though and a explanation of why these clerics don't get media face time.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Fair enough, it's hard to sometimes to know. Still a valid criticism of the yotuube channel you posted though and a explanation of why these clerics don't get media face time.
    Agreed, but the various uprising in arabic N.Africa have not been the rosey picture (of the protestors/rebels) that we are fed.

In all honesty, Chrisitians are well and truly ****** and any hope of achieving secularism/enlightenment will be quahsed by the Muslim Brotherhood and various Islamists.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.