Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not telling parents about an exam

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I knew about this exam; indeed, I have revised for this exam. However, when telling my parents about my exam dates, it slipped my mind - they think that my first exam is next week, when in fact it's tomorrow.

So, they conclusion they'll draw if I announce now that I have an exam tomorrow is I forgot about the exam (when I didn't), which will then extend to I didn't revise for this exam. That will end up with my mother having another nervous breakdown (she recently had one over sending a job acceptance letter) and disappointment all around, along with discussions about me being lazy and disorganised. And they'll never believe me that I knew about it all along, I just forgot to tell them.

Unfortunately, they both have the day off, otherwise I could have gone out and back and they'd be none the wiser. So now I'm going to have to have an whole web of cover story for why I'm going out in the morning. I do have something to hand in tomorrow as well, so I can be partially honest, but that wouldn't take a couple of hours... Is there any way I can either a) stretch handing something in to be an activity that takes a couple of hours or b) have a better cover story (maybe something else to do?) that won't get unravel somewhere down the line?

TL;DR: Forgot to tell parents about an exam I have tomorrow - if I tell them now, they'll conclude I forgot about the exam in general (I didn't, just forgot to tell them) and that will have bad consequences. What's the best way of explaining where I'm disappearing off to?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could you possibly say that there's extra revision on at school/ 6th form tomorrow for something??

:hugs: good luck
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't you say you're revising in the library using reference books (books you aren't allowed to take out of the library so you'll have to stay there for a while)?
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robinson's_Crusade)
    I knew about this exam; indeed, I have revised for this exam. However, when telling my parents about my exam dates, it slipped my mind - they think that my first exam is next week, when in fact it's tomorrow.

So, they conclusion they'll draw if I announce now that I have an exam tomorrow is I forgot about the exam (when I didn't), which will then extend to I didn't revise for this exam. That will end up with my mother having another nervous breakdown (she recently had one over sending a job acceptance letter) and disappointment all around, along with discussions about me being lazy and disorganised. And they'll never believe me that I knew about it all along, I just forgot to tell them.

Unfortunately, they both have the day off, otherwise I could have gone out and back and they'd be none the wiser. So now I'm going to have to have an whole web of cover story for why I'm going out in the morning. I do have something to hand in tomorrow as well, so I can be partially honest, but that wouldn't take a couple of hours... Is there any way I can either a) stretch handing something in to be an activity that takes a couple of hours or b) have a better cover story (maybe something else to do?) that won't get unravel somewhere down the line?

TL;DR: Forgot to tell parents about an exam I have tomorrow - if I tell them now, they'll conclude I forgot about the exam in general (I didn't, just forgot to tell them) and that will have bad consequences. What's the best way of explaining where I'm disappearing off to?
    You're going to school to have a revision session.

Job done.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going to revise at a friend's house or the library?

Or maybe going into school and revising in the library there, you have a meeting with a teacher to go over some stuff you're not sure about?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They'd never believe I'm revising elsewhere, but revision session could work... I've already gone to a couple this year, so my parents know they happen, and it's something that can be organised at the last minute, which explains why I didn't mention it before...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cumpulsory revision session with a mad teacher!:five:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could just say you did tell them and they must have forgotten/ got confused? Or that you just mixed up the dates in your mind- as in you knew it was this week just said it was on a date that is actually next week because you had worked it out in relation to something else- bit long winded but if you just dont explain it very well and be like dont worry I did tell you about the exam, I have revised, Im going to be fine etc etc it shouldn't be too bad?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Son. You dissapoint me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy)
    You could just say you did tell them and they must have forgotten/ got confused? Or that you just mixed up the dates in your mind- as in you knew it was this week just said it was on a date that is actually next week because you had worked it out in relation to something else- bit long winded but if you just dont explain it very well and be like dont worry I did tell you about the exam, I have revised, Im going to be fine etc etc it shouldn't be too bad?
    That sounds too complicated for me to actually keep up with...

Unfortunately, they have goood memories and it won't fly that they both forgot it. However, if I still lived with my grandmother, that is exactly what I'd do - tell her I had already told her.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Revision session

What are you gonna do next week though, on the day they think the exam is happening?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell them a bizarre story like, "I have to go save the world from evil Loci!"
    They'd think you've gone bonkers and will not question you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you could say you got the dates wrong when u were saying them, i.e. a slip of the tounge like saying they're in 3 weeks when they're actually in 2 weeks? if they find out later it'll look even worse for you.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest a study group for the exam but everyone else has the same idea

(I have lied about lots of things like this - I failed an exam once and didn't mention it, passed the repeat though. I do live in another country though, a bit easier...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykee93)
    Revision session

What are you gonna do next week though, on the day they think the exam is happening?
    They don't think it's happening next week (the ones they think are happening next week are happening), they just don't know anything about it. "When are your exams?" always comes out of the blue, so it's not surprising that I don't always remember them on the spot, plus this one has actually changed date a couple of times.

However, what's different this time is it only occured to me today (ie, day before the exam) that I haven't informed them at any stage, whereas in the past it's occured to me later that day or a couple of days later.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you just say you're hanging out with friends. It's kind of unrealistic of them to expect you to be revising literally 24-7, or am i missing something here?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could you not just say you thought you'd already mentioned it, and then if they don't believe you show them the revision you've done? (assuming you wrote out some notes or something). Seems odd to have to make up a load of lies because you accidentally forgot to mention one thing
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robinson's_Crusade)
    They don't think it's happening next week (the ones they think are happening next week are happening), they just don't know anything about it. "When are your exams?" always comes out of the blue, so it's not surprising that I don't always remember them on the spot, plus this one has actually changed date a couple of times.

However, what's different this time is it only occured to me today (ie, day before the exam) that I haven't informed them at any stage, whereas in the past it's occured to me later that day or a couple of days later.
    Wow, that could get confusing!
    I'm so glad that I don't have to lie to my parents anymore
    Good luck with the exam
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    But supposing they find out you didn't have a revision session? Then you'd have to explain why you lied? Is forgetting worse than lying?

They must be very strict if you can not go to school for a couple of hours without explaining it.

I think I would go with the "Sorry I thought I told you all my exam dates, I've been revising like mad for this one I can't believe you didn't know"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popsicles3)
    Why can't you just say you're hanging out with friends. It's kind of unrealistic of them to expect you to be revising literally 24-7, or am i missing something here?
    Oh no, that's not the problem - even if I told them I'm going out shopping for a couple of hours, that'd be fine. But they'd wonder, even if only in passing, where I'm going, so I need something to tell them.

(Original post by 11flon)
    Could you not just say you thought you'd already mentioned it, and then if they don't believe you show them the revision you've done? (assuming you wrote out some notes or something). Seems odd to have to make up a load of lies because you accidentally forgot to mention one thing
    But then, my family is very odd. There are things going on at the moment that I don't fully know about, but it's making everyone (but particularly my mother) very highly strung.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.