Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not telling parents about an exam

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robinson's_Crusade)
    That sounds too complicated for me to actually keep up with...

Unfortunately, they have goood memories and it won't fly that they both forgot it. However, if I still lived with my grandmother, that is exactly what I'd do - tell her I had already told her.
    Haha but that's the beauty of it- they'll get so confused they wont press you, and if they do you can just say I'm sorry I really have to go revise now!

It usually works for me, but quite often because its true! I get really confused about dates! Also my parents have terrible memories!

What would they say if you just left- just shouted to them saying I'm going out for a few hours, I'll be back in a bit?

Or that your doing a revision session with a few friends?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jami74)
    But supposing they find out you didn't have a revision session? Then you'd have to explain why you lied? Is forgetting worse than lying?

They must be very strict if you can not go to school for a couple of hours without explaining it.

I think I would go with the "Sorry I thought I told you all my exam dates, I've been revising like mad for this one I can't believe you didn't know"
    How will they find that out? :confused: I could even take some of my notes out with me so I could produce them as evidence of what I did.

It's not having to account for my every moment and prove it's revision-related, it's just that they'll notice me leaving the house for a few hours and I need to have something to tell them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy)
    What would they say if you just left- just shouted to them saying I'm going out for a few hours, I'll be back in a bit?

Or that your doing a revision session with a few friends?
    Nothing at the time, but they'd probably ask what I did when I got back so it would just delay saying something.

They wouldn't believe that I have friends to revise with. :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them you have a revision session with your teacher/you need a word with a teacher about something you 'don't quite understand fully'.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't get you...do you have a disorder or something? You said clearly that you could say you were going out shopping or going to the library to read - so why are you making this thread? I don't believe your parents need to know the minute details of your life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i never tell my parents about exams ....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing at the time, but they'd probably ask what I did when I got back so it would just delay saying something.

They wouldn't believe that I have friends to revise with. :rolleyes:
    aww I'm sure that's not true! And if it is, maybe they'll be so happy you've found some friends they'll let you go without even asking who?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    I don't get you...do you have a disorder or something? You said clearly that you could say you were going out shopping or going to the library to read - so why are you making this thread? I don't believe your parents need to know the minute details of your life.
    I'm not the greatest at lying - deceit isn't something I generally do, I just think in this situation it'll do more harm than good to tell them the truth (on account of the fact that they won't believe the truth and the version they interpret will drive them round the bend) - so wanted some advice on how to do it smoothly.

They don't, but they'll need to know something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhogs001)
    Son. You dissapoint me.
    hahahahaahahahahahhaahahahahahah aahahahahahahahahaahah
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Simple solution.. tell the truth. If they ask, just say you forgot to mention it. I don't see why all hell would break loose over that?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11flon)
    Could you not just say you thought you'd already mentioned it, and then if they don't believe you show them the revision you've done? (assuming you wrote out some notes or something). Seems odd to have to make up a load of lies because you accidentally forgot to mention one thing
    This.

I'd just say 'I'm off to my exam', in a non suspicious way. They'll say you don't have one and you can say 'Yes I do... Didn't I tell you?' Act like you only realised you had forgotten to tell them when they mention it. Maybe say 'I'm going to bed early for my exam' if you want to get it out of the way tonight. If they have super memories it will come out at results day anyway.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lie is a lie.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    I knew about this exam; indeed, I have revised for this exam. However, when telling my parents about my exam dates, it slipped my mind - they think that my first exam is next week, when in fact it's tomorrow.

So, they conclusion they'll draw if I announce now that I have an exam tomorrow is I forgot about the exam (when I didn't), which will then extend to I didn't revise for this exam. That will end up with my mother having another nervous breakdown (she recently had one over sending a job acceptance letter) and disappointment all around, along with discussions about me being lazy and disorganised. And they'll never believe me that I knew about it all along, I just forgot to tell them.

Unfortunately, they both have the day off, otherwise I could have gone out and back and they'd be none the wiser. So now I'm going to have to have an whole web of cover story for why I'm going out in the morning. I do have something to hand in tomorrow as well, so I can be partially honest, but that wouldn't take a couple of hours... Is there any way I can either a) stretch handing something in to be an activity that takes a couple of hours or b) have a better cover story (maybe something else to do?) that won't get unravel somewhere down the line?

TL;DR: Forgot to tell parents about an exam I have tomorrow - if I tell them now, they'll conclude I forgot about the exam in general (I didn't, just forgot to tell them) and that will have bad consequences. What's the best way of explaining where I'm disappearing off to?
    Revision session is clearly the best solution. Lots of luck for the exam tomorrow and hope your home difficulties smooth themselves out soon
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    A lie is a lie.
    Yes, and a part of me does feel bad. But I think it will ultimately cause less problems to lie than tell the truth in this situation - something strange is happening, and it's making my mother in particular very highly strung. Even the idea that I might have forgotten an exam will push her a little bit more towards the edge, if not over it. Plus she'll be worrying if I've forgotten another exam...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalliope)
    Revision session is clearly the best solution. Lots of luck for the exam tomorrow and hope your home difficulties smooth themselves out soon
    Thanks, on both counts. I don't really know what's going on, but for the last couple of weeks people have been acting very strangely; my parents are usually laid back, but suddenly they've become a bit neurotic. :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get it out of the way tonight.

At ten o'clock this evening:

*Exaggerated yawn* - Is it already ten? I best hit the hay so I'm fresh for for tommorow.
    -Tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow?
    *Indignant* - My exam! I can't believe you forgot!
    *Panicked* - Your exam is tomorrow! Oh my god! You lying little ****er! You didn't revise did you? You will fail and bring shame on the family. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! !!111!!!11!!!one!!eleven!!!!!shf iftyfive!!!!1!!!!!
    *Meh* - Yeah, well, as I said; I best turn in now so I get some kip.
    *Leave mum to freak out*
    *Sleep like a boss*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Get it out of the way tonight.

At ten o'clock this evening:

*Exaggerated yawn* - Is it already ten? I best hit the hay so I'm fresh for for tommorow.
    -Tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow?
    *Indignant* - My exam! I can't believe you forgot!
    *Panicked* - Your exam is tomorrow! Oh my god! You lying little ****er! You didn't revise did you? You will fail and bring shame on the family. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! !!111!!!11!!!one!!eleven!!!!!shf iftyfive!!!!1!!!!!
    *Meh* - Yeah, well, as I said; I best turn in now so I get some kip.
    *Leave mum to freak out*
    *Sleep like a boss*
    We're not Klingons, but other than that, this is basically how I envisage it going down if I reveal it's an exam.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "im off to hand in some work... oh might stay in the library do a past papers while im there so might be a few hours see ya later"
    is what id go with...
    all the truth pretty much... - you will be doing a future past paper
    as close to the truth as is possible without causing worry is i think definitely the way to go...
    x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I know it has already been suggested but a revision session sounds like your best option...

for english, I had one full day revision class (10-3!) when our whole class came into school, and our teacher went over everything in the higher course, like a complete recap session - so you could try that reason

AND I also went back to see her on two lunchtimes while I was on exam leave, just leading up to the exam, and she went over specific parts of the course that I was still really struggling on, kind of like a tutoring session - so you could try that one too

woo english is now over

good luck and hope this helps xxx

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 18, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.