The Student Room Group

HELPPPP..... Should i mis my statistics exam tomorrow?

So basically since im in the top set for maths, my school entered me fore Core 1, Core 2, Mechanics 1 and Statistics 1.

My Stats exam is tomorow and i havn't revised for it at all, i've been focusing on revising for all my other subjects, bio, chem and physc as well as the other math modules.

I did my mechanics exam yesterday and it went really well so i don't think there is any point in doing this statistics exam.

I am going to carry on doing A Level Maths next year to complete the A-Level, would S1 really be needed?

I'm actually freaking out and i have 3 of the heardest as level exams next week ><
Reply 1
Do the exam. Seriously. Just cram it tonight and hope for the best - it's not the best scenario, but it's better than skipping altogether.
For juat AS maths you need C1, C2 and either S1 or M1 or possibly other units would do.
Reply 3
Hi, we got told that each of them are 33.3% each. So I would sit it :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Seriously dont miss that exam its not worth it
Reply 5
You don't have anything to lose by sitting it. If you do well, it can count towards your full A Level, if you do badly it doesn't have to count or you can resit it. Just go....
Reply 6
I did D1 which counted towards my A level so I think if you did S1 you would only have to do 2 modules next year... and you can always resit. I'd turn up, like you said, if you've done well in your M1 exam then it's no biggie if you don't do as well as you hoped.
Reply 7
I want to sit the exam in january next year so i don't see the point in going in to the exam but would it be better to just go in and attempt the questions then miss it all together?

Also would they then take the best grade out of m1 and s1 for as level? I'm pretty sure i got pretty muh every question right in my m1 so i'm pretty confident already.
Reply 8
Original post by dench_crepz
I want to sit the exam in january next year so i don't see the point in going in to the exam but would it be better to just go in and attempt the questions then miss it all together?

Also would they then take the best grade out of m1 and s1 for as level? I'm pretty sure i got pretty muh every question right in my m1 so i'm pretty confident already.

Yeah your highest modules would count for your AS including the C1 and 2. Your S1 would count for the full A level so it's really worth doing it, even if you fail it, it could help. I only need 14 UMS marks in a maths module to get an A* overall so i think you should go ahead and do the exam, you've got nothing to lose right? Just do as many past papers you can do as the questions are pretty similar and you should be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by JongKey
Yeah your highest modules would count for your AS including the C1 and 2. Your S1 would count for the full A level so it's really worth doing it, even if you fail it, it could help. I only need 14 UMS marks in a maths module to get an A* overall so i think you should go ahead and do the exam, you've got nothing to lose right? Just do as many past papers you can do as the questions are pretty similar and you should be fine.

I'll be able to resit it in january right? because i want to get an A in the exam but i know i'll get no where near that :'(

S1 isn't really that hard, i just had loads of other exams to concentrate on that were much more important than the s1 module
Reply 10
Original post by dench_crepz
I'll be able to resit it in january right? because i want to get an A in the exam but i know i'll get no where near that :'(

S1 isn't really that hard, i just had loads of other exams to concentrate on that were much more important than the s1 module

Yeah you'll be able to resit it but i really think you should go to the exam, do as many past papers you can tonight and get up early in the morning and do some more. If you're quite bright at maths i guarantee that you'll get atleast a B by doing the past papers because like i said before the questions are similar and you'll pick up how to answer different questions. If your exam is tomorrow it might be too late to do effective revision but i suggest getting off TSR and revising as much as you can and see what you get. Have fun! :smile:

I started doing past papers for S1 about 4 days before the exam and i failed my first few but then by the end of it i started getting 100%. I was literally doing past paper after past papers. In the exam i got 95, i'm telling you, past papers are the way to go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Surely it would make more sense to not bother starting to revise s1 as i'm not going to get an A and focus on my other chem uni2 bio unit 2 and c2 exams next week that are much more important.

I'm sure if i retake it in jan i'll get an A
Reply 12
Original post by JongKey
Yeah you'll be able to resit it but i really think you should go to the exam, do as many past papers you can tonight and get up early in the morning and do some more. If you're quite bright at maths i guarantee that you'll get atleast a B by doing the past papers because like i said before the questions are similar and you'll pick up how to answer different questions. If your exam is tomorrow it might be too late to do effective revision but i suggest getting off TSR and revising as much as you can and see what you get. Have fun! :smile:

Yeah i'll def be going to the exam now but i don't see the point of revising for it as i'm going to retake it either way to get an A in January.

Thanks for the advice man much appreciated
Honestly just go for it. If you have the text book then read over the last chapters. For some questions you're just merely working out things like Sxx or Syy and for that you have the formula(s) on the formula sheet.

Quick Reply

Latest