The Student Room Group

AQA Economics 25th May 2012 Unit 2 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohTS
I can't really remember Q3 but for Q4 my main points were loss of jobs in the public sector, labour being a derived demand so as AD falls so does AD for labour and a lot of my evaluation centred on how it depends on what the gov spending cuts concentrated on. Then I also talked about tax rises but I can't really remember what I wrote, sorry!

What about you?

For Q3 I talked about the economy not being productively efficient or something, not sure really :dontknow:
For Q4 I mentioned two ways in which they can decrease their deficit. The first one I mentioned was an increase in direct taxes such as income tax which means the govt has more tax revenue and then evaluated by saying that people will feel less wealthy and spend less which can lead to a fall in AD and therefore a loss of jobs which means that the govt might have to spend even more on benefits, etc. I then evaluated the whole point again by saying that the extent to which that would happen depends on the size of the tax.

I think my other point was that a cut in government spending on schools, infrastructures, etc will lead to save them money but it affects the LRAS curve in the long-term or something like that. :confused:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Original post by sundeep525
Im sorry to give you bad news my friend, but I just checked the exam paper and we are right, it is D and not A. BTW the exam paper is june 09 not jan 09.

Oh sorry i meant 24 about the euro against the dollar and you put a which was right :smile:http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-EC0N2-W-QP-JAN09.PDF question 16.
Reply 722
Can somebody put in the paperr pleaseee..Thank you! :smile:
The A grade is usually around 55/75

How many marks do you reckon 90 UMS is?
Hello there,
I am going to sit for my Unit 2 exam soon. And I would like to do as many past papers as possible.
Is it possible if I could have the May/June 2012 Unit 2 Exam paper for Economics please?

Thanks.
Original post by tehforum
I think I got 23/25 on the mcq
and 20+

6 months later, I can tell you guys I got 93 UMS.
Reply 726
100 UMS for Moi
Original post by Ecomax
100 UMS for Moi

And me :biggrin:
6 months later, I can tell you guys I got 93 UMS.

Original post by Ecomax
100 UMS for Moi

Original post by hrbrox
And me :biggrin:

The maximum I've gotten so far is 75% (in unit 2). I know the content, so i must have been loosing marks on the essay structure
Can you please summaries a typical essay structure for me :redface:
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
The maximum I've gotten so far is 75% (in unit 2). I know the content, so i must have been loosing marks on the essay structure

it's your evaluation rather than your structure.

Elaborate :drool:
Original post by CoolStoryBroo

For the 25 marker? This is my unit 2 structure roughly

I usually start with the relevant diagram then refer back to it
A paragraph about economic stuff in the question, eg what is the govt trying to achieve, what is the policy mentioned, what does it involve
Paragraph on each macroeconomic objective, how would (question) effect each objective, is it desirable? Refer back to diagram with points eg increase from p1 to p2 shows inflation. How desirable in current economy?
Sum up the points from the previous 4 paragraphs, add personal opinion
Is it the best option for the economy? Refer back to question, don't forget evaluation.

Also in the exam at my school we get a little slip of paper with all the codes etc on, before I started my essay I turned it over and wrote

Diagram
How/why
Inflation
Unemployement
Economic growth
Current Account
Evaluation
Conclusion

then ticked them off as I wrote them to make sure I didn't forget to use the structure
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 732

In a nutshell yes, i was the same .. knew all the content and more, its just constantly evaluating everything you write, if you say controlling interest rates are the best way of controlling inflation you need to evaluate that to death then give alternatives and evaluate again ..

Where are you losing marks? if its on the 25 mark question AQA say they give high marks to pupils that give excellent final concluding judgements and are able to apply subject knowledge effectively with strong evaluation.

If you know all the content, the 12 mark question should be a doddle
in each area i got
(OTQ) 22
(5 MARK) 5
(8 MARK) 8
(12 MARK) 12
(25 MARK) 23
Reply 733
Original post by hrbrox
For the 25 marker? This is my unit 2 structure roughly

Diagram
How/why
Inflation
Unemployement
Economic growth
Current Account
Evaluation
Conclusion

Not sure about this ? diagrams aren't actually necessary, but its best to use them as you explain different policies and effects .. i.e increase in AD (C+I+G+(X-M)), show shift in AD curve and link with explanation of increased RNY but increase in inflation

Given the question say "Using the data and your economic knowledge, assess the importance of an increase in exports for achieving an improvement in the performance of the UK economy."

an ideal structure would be:

Intro: Explain main macro eco targets/indicators, and define any key terms

1st Section: Explain effect of increase in exports on economic performance and evaluate (MULTIPLIER!!!), talk about other factors in AD and explain that as government spending, investment and consumption is currently low in the uk recession (MEC, MPC, MPS can all be used) aggregate demand is decreasing and therefore certain macro targets are not achieved

2nd Section: State how an increase in exports is not the most important factor in achieving an improvement in the performance of the UK economy then state a second factor, i.e supply side policies and evaluate again .. is this more suitable ?

Final concluding Judgement: Return to the question, repeat strongest points in your arguments (briefly)(Dont bring new points in here) .. Possibly bring in own view but only briefly, if you do this talk mainly about a specific theory and evidence (neo classical/keynesian etc) .. real world examples ..

Make sure in the essay, you give short run/long run effects, constantly return to macro eco targets .. and evaluate in each paragraph dont leave it until the end, its worth the most marks ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending