The Student Room Group

AQA Economics 25th May 2012 Unit 2 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by undertaker1
I think its A. it cant be B because the price of imports would decrease. it also cannot be D, so its either A or C and i think A is more suitable

It can't be C because exports decrease and imports increase so the BoP position becomes worse.
Just realised that this is in the morning not afternoon.
Reply 142
Original post by theseeker
Just realised that this is in the morning not afternoon.

I know I hate morning exams. :frown:
anyone else not understand this question:

15344.jpg
Reply 144

15344.jpg

I'd Have said the answer is D?

The formula for AD = c+i+g+(x-m) , which is what the componants down the side are, and 524 is approximately 2/3 of AD, as it is approximately 2/3 if you add them all up.

Sorry if i explained that badly, (or if i got the answer wrong!)
Original post by megan.cl
I'd Have said the answer is D?

The formula for AD = c+i+g+(x-m) , which is what the componants down the side are, and 524 is approximately 2/3 of AD, as it is approximately 2/3 if you add them all up.

Sorry if i explained that badly, (or if i got the answer wrong!)

your answer is correct but i dont understand the labels £bn at 2005 prices, %change on 2008, components of AD 2009

15344.jpg

Hi, the answer to that one is definitely D
Reply 147

15344.jpg

To find the 2009 value you divide the 2005 value by 100 then times by the percentage and add the answer on to the 2005 value.

This gives the figures

545 = C
151 = G
161 = I
254.5 = X
305 = M

AD = 545+151+161+(254.5-305) = 806.5

806.5/3 = 268.833333

268.833333 *2 = 537.666666

Which is approximately 524.

C is wrong because there is a current account deficit M > X
B is wrong because we cannot tell that from the data.
A is wrong well because it isn't.
Original post by . .
To find the 2009 value you divide the 2005 value by 100 then times by the percentage and add the answer on to the 2005 value.

This gives the figures

545 = C
151 = G
161 = I
254.5 = X
305 = M

AD = 545+151+161+(254.5-305) = 806.5

806.5/3 = 268.833333

268.833333 *2 = 537.666666

Which is approximately 524.

C is wrong because there is a current account deficit M > X
B is wrong because we cannot tell that from the data.
A is wrong well because it isn't.

thank you very much, i understand it now
Reply 149
Original post by Matt_payne

Because recently the government has been constantly running a deficit, much like other eurozone countries, so it seems quite relavent that they would ask about whether the deficit matters, or something to do with deficits. As far as I know, they haven't asked about them before either.

Hmmm yes, I've looked over my notes though and i have hardly anything on the significance of a budget deficit, all i've got is that the interest payments can be high, and that there is a growth of national debt... Any other ideas?
when answering questions on uk's macroeconomic performance and we are discussing economic growth. what sort of things should we be discussing???

also when answering questions on macroeconomic performance, do we need to discuss all four components such as inflation, employment, balance of payments on current account and economic growth???
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 151
Hmmm yes, I've looked over my notes though and i have hardly anything on the significance of a budget deficit, all i've got is that the interest payments can be high, and that there is a growth of national debt... Any other ideas?

Fiscal policy is closely related to budget deficits and surpluses.

Think of how changes in spending taxing and borrowing affects the four main macroeconomic indicators.

You could also link it to the current economics like the recent budget report.

Think of what the government spends money on and how spending on different things affect the economy in different ways.
So for example how increased expenditure on education and training is different from expenditure on welfare payments.
Are there any particular topics I can get away with not knowing fully?
Reply 153
Original post by The Doggfather
Are there any particular topics I can get away with not knowing fully?

You may be able to pull off not knowing exchange rate policy and the balance of payments fully. This is of course a very strict strategy and you must know the rest of the subjects really well.
I have friends who did this although it was A2 micro exam he managed to just about pull off an A grade.
Panicking a bit now - think it is exam nerves.
what is the affect of increased imports on AD and inflation ?

I have a few ideas;
You could say that theoretically a deficit would act to stimulate demand, because G is a component of AD, therefore may be able to revive us from the recession.
But having deficits now, means tax rises in the future, unless the expansionary policy is significant enough to pay off the debt, in terms of increased employment, increased gov revenue. But we've so much debt from previous deficits that the multiplier probably wouldn't pay it off.
You could also argue that the deficit doesn't matter if the spending is allocated correctly. For example, supply-side policies is what the UK needs at the moment to enhance our productivity in areas where we have comparative advantage like financial services. But the government may decide to spend on things like increasing the incomes of public sector workers, which wouldn't benefit the economy, what the public sector really needs is efficiency. Alternatively they may spend on improving our manufacturing industries, which would also be a waste as countries like China can easily out-compete us to the extent that it's inevitable our manufacturing industries will go bust, no matter how much is spent on them. Therefore whether the deficit matters depends on what the money is spent on.
There the kind of point i would make, i hope this helped
Original post by hannahjones13

Increased imports lower AD and also generally lower inflation as it's likely that the goods we import from abroad would be cheaper alternatives to domestically produced goods, along with the high value of the pound having further deflationary effects
Original post by hannahjones13

Increased imports means AD falls as imports are taken away, left-shift means fall in inflation :smile:
when answering questions on uk's macroeconomic performance and we are discussing economic growth. what sort of things should we be discussing???

also when answering questions on macroeconomic performance, do we need to discuss all four components such as inflation, employment, balance of payments on current account and economic growth???

anyone???
Reply 159
what is the monetarist view of inflation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending