The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Just all of it! :frown: I find it incredibly difficult to even concentrate properly in lessons, as I find the subject so boring! I don't find the books interesting. I hate writing for long periods of time. I don't know how to set out my answer properly. I don't know what to do to each point that I make (how to thoroughly make it). I just don't like it :frown:
Ok - for starters, don't worry yourself too much about it. You don't even need that many quotes to get the high marks. A brilliant essay with only one very well developed quote is capable of getting an A*, so focus on picking a quote that you can extract as much information as possible from when you're faced with your question. :smile:

I assume you're familiar with the PEED structure? (Point, Evidence, Explanation, Development) I've always found that it helps to put myself in the shoes of the character the quote is about and draw on my feeling and experiences. When I'm answering a question about, say, power in The Crucible, I basically use my own feelings and experiences to talk about that the characters could be feeling. For example, I could say that the girls who accuse the 'witches' only do it because they have had their first taste of power and don't want to lose it. (and believe me, whenever I get put as team leader in class I go power crazy. :teeth:
Original post by justanotherindigo
You have every right to be worried if you're doing AQA!
They are incredibly harsh!:mad:
I've always liked AQA... are my dreams about to be crushed? :eek::biggrin:
Original post by g.k.galloway
I know you weren't aiming this at me but for the AQA poetry questions where you compare (36 marks) how many points should you make? or do you just write as much as you can..?
Try and get at least one point that assesses the similarity of the poems and another two that talk about differences in the poems. So for example (I'm not sure which cluster you're doing):

Paragraph 1: Poem A presents a positive view of relationships....
Paragraph 2: On the other hand, Poem B presents a largely negative idea of love...
Paragraph 3: However, both poems contain reference to the powerful nature of love...

Of course, you can do it however you wish, this is just how my teacher taught it. :smile:
Reply 342
Original post by Pandora.
Try and get at least one point that assesses the similarity of the poems and another two that talk about differences in the poems. So for example (I'm not sure which cluster you're doing):

Paragraph 1: Poem A presents a positive view of relationships....
Paragraph 2: On the other hand, Poem B presents a largely negative idea of love...
Paragraph 3: However, both poems contain reference to the powerful nature of love...

Of course, you can do it however you wish, this is just how my teacher taught it. :smile:

Cool thanks..i've just never been sure how many points to make (i'm doing character and voice)
i've been trying to develop my writing a lot about a little as I know that can gain a lot of marks...
I'm also hoping my good CA grades will create a good base...

thanks again :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey, does anybody knows what the SMILE analysis for poetry actually stands for??
Well

Can you help? Thanks! :biggrin: Please post on there! Cheers!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2005235&p=37620138#post37620138
telling me that has not helped the situation lol!!!!

AQA lit (character and voice poetry and the woman in black and of mice and men)
and AQA lang

got igcse eng. as a backup...

I am practically dead for poetry!
Good Luck you'll get through it!:biggrin:
Ok - for starters, don't worry yourself too much about it. You don't even need that many quotes to get the high marks. A brilliant essay with only one very well developed quote is capable of getting an A*, so focus on picking a quote that you can extract as much information as possible from when you're faced with your question. :smile:

I assume you're familiar with the PEED structure? (Point, Evidence, Explanation, Development) I've always found that it helps to put myself in the shoes of the character the quote is about and draw on my feeling and experiences. When I'm answering a question about, say, power in The Crucible, I basically use my own feelings and experiences to talk about that the characters could be feeling. For example, I could say that the girls who accuse the 'witches' only do it because they have had their first taste of power and don't want to lose it. (and believe me, whenever I get put as team leader in class I go power crazy. :teeth:I've always liked AQA... are my dreams about to be crushed? :eek::biggrin:

What exams have you done with them?
I am doing english and Textiles:biggrin:

I assume you're familiar with the PEED structure? (Point, Evidence, Explanation, Development) I've always found that it helps to put myself in the shoes of the character the quote is about and draw on my feeling and experiences. When I'm answering a question about, say, power in The Crucible, I basically use my own feelings and experiences to talk about that the characters could be feeling. For example, I could say that the girls who accuse the 'witches' only do it because they have had their first taste of power and don't want to lose it. (and believe me, whenever I get put as team leader in class I go power crazy. :teeth:I've always liked AQA... are my dreams about to be crushed? :eek::biggrin:

Thank you! I will have to do some essay writing over the weekend for practice :frown: oh my god, we have a power hungry mod on the loose! :wink:

Anyway, I'm off to a party for the night! Speak to you tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 348
I studied it for one of my CA's but not the exams... so sorry can't help out too much there
I'm in the same situation for the woman in black though...so frustrating

oh and welcome back btw :smile:

Sod's law i suppose! Ahh, never mind, thanks anyway though. :smile:
What exams have you done with them?
I am doing english and Textiles:biggrin:
I'm doing both of my English GCSEs with AQA, and I did French with them in Year 9. :smile:
Thank you! I will have to do some essay writing over the weekend for practice :frown: oh my god, we have a power hungry mod on the loose! :wink:

Anyway, I'm off to a party for the night! Speak to you tomorrow :biggrin:
:ninja:

I hope it helps! :smile: Have fun! :biggrin:
Posting to add it to Watched
Wooo!! i'm back :biggrin: missed me? hahaha!!
Original post by sophiekutie
Wooo!! i'm back :biggrin: missed me? hahaha!!

haha:biggrin:-- it you laptop fully charged??
Cool thanks..i've just never been sure how many points to make (i'm doing character and voice)
i've been trying to develop my writing a lot about a little as I know that can gain a lot of marks...
I'm also hoping my good CA grades will create a good base...

thanks again :smile:

what cluster are you doing?
i'm doing clashes and collisions :s-smilie:
haha:biggrin:-- it you laptop fully charged??

haha yes finally!
my brother had the charger at his friends :rolleyes: :tongue:
haha yes finally!
my brother had the charger at his friends :rolleyes: :tongue:

Good!
It seems to be relatively quite tonight...:tongue:
Original post by shyamshah
Yeah A* will feel very good indeed :smile:. Ah fair enough then with science. I'm retaking my module 1 so I got extra to learn, but hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.

So do you do like 3 less modules for additional science or something? What a-levels are you taking?
Btw are you the same person from the ipl thread?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Good!
It seems to be relatively quite tonight...:tongue:

yes definately!

perhaps people are going out tonight? :wink:
yes definately!

perhaps people are going out tonight? :wink:

It definitely looks like it!
And I guess that I'm just staying at home... revising:bored:
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
Ok thank you so much, you're a life saver!
Having done this, i'm going to sound really stupid but how do you apply this knowledge to the question? :colondollar:
They are really harsh, so i'm worried i'm not going to get the grade i want :frown:

Please reply justanotherindigo :')

Latest