The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenLantern1
Na I do love it. It is just I can't be bothered to do the longs coursework we have to do. Plus I wanna focus on my maths and Physics.

That's because Maths and Physics are the way forward! :biggrin: I love them so much. Fantastic subjects. I want to go to a summer school in CERN after my first undergraduate year. It looks so interesting. You can find it on their website :smile:
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Fermats last theorem is a great book!! :O I loved that one. Here are a few good'ns; The music of the primes - Marcus Du Sautoy; any of Marcus du Sautoys books actually!; a brief history of time - Stephen hawking; a mathematicians apology - G.H. hardy.
Theres loads!! I have around 40-50 left on my reading list yet :colondollar:

40-50? ****! Do you buy them or what? And spill the contents of your list!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by PrinceyJ
40-50? ****! Do you buy them or what? And spill the contents of your list!

I buy as many as I can on my kindle, as they're much cheaper on kindle! But not all of them are available on the kindle yet :frown: I spent £70 on books the other week!!

My complete list of books is on a piece of paper, and I also have a list on my phone which I update every so often :p:

Here is the list off my phone, I've read some of these already though:

Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh.
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking.
A Mathematician's Apology - G.H Hardy
QED: Strange Theory of Light and Matter - Richard Feynman.
God Created the Integers - Stephen Hawking
50 Physics ideas you really need to know - Joanna Baker.
Surely you're joking Mr Feynman! - Richard Feynman.
Six Easy Pieces - Richard Feynman.
Nothing: A Very Short Introduction - Frank Close.
Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction - Frank Close.
Antimatter - Frank Close.
Dr.Riemann's Zeros - Karl Sabbagh
A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics - Martin Liebeck
Chaos: Making a New Science - James Gleick
What is Mathematics? - Richard Courant
The Pleasure of Counting - Thomas William Korner
The man who loved only numbers - Paul Hoffman
Finding Moonshine - Marcus du Sautoy
Mathematics: a very short introduction - Timothy gowers
Why E = MC^2 - Brian Cox
Alex's Adventures in numberland - Alex Bellos
Big Bang - Simon Singh
Makers of Mathematics - S.Hollingdale
Alan Turing, the Enigma - A.Hodges
The Man who knew infinity - R.Kanigel
Littlewoods miscellany
Number - J.Mcleish
Penrose Tile to Trapdoor Ciphers - M.Gardner
To infinity and beyond - Eli Maor
A Mathematical mosaic - Ravi Vakil
Solving mathematical problems - Terence Tao
From here to infinity - Ian Stewart
What's happening in the mathematical sciences - B.Cipra
Archimedes revenge - P.Hoffman
The mathematical experience - P.J.Davis
The penguin dictionary of curious and interesting numbers - D.Wells
New applications of mathematics - C.Bondi
Reaching for infinity - S.Gibilisco
The new scientist guide to chaos - N.Hall
Hidden unity in natures laws - John.C.Taylor
The cosmic onion - Frank Close
The quantum universe -T.Hey
Was Einstein right? -C.M.Will
The accidental universe - P.C.W Davies
I buy as many as I can on my kindle, as they're much cheaper on kindle! But not all of them are available on the kindle yet :frown: I spent £70 on books the other week!!

My complete list of books is on a piece of paper, and I also have a list on my phone which I update every so often :p:

Here is the list off my phone, I've read some of these already though:

Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh.
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking.
A Mathematician's Apology - G.H Hardy
QED: Strange Theory of Light and Matter - Richard Feynman.
God Created the Integers - Stephen Hawking
50 Physics ideas you really need to know - Joanna Baker.
Surely you're joking Mr Feynman! - Richard Feynman.
Six Easy Pieces - Richard Feynman.
Nothing: A Very Short Introduction - Frank Close.
Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction - Frank Close.
Antimatter - Frank Close.
Dr.Riemann's Zeros - Karl Sabbagh
A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics - Martin Liebeck
Chaos: Making a New Science - James Gleick
What is Mathematics? - Richard Courant
The Pleasure of Counting - Thomas William Korner
The man who loved only numbers - Paul Hoffman
Finding Moonshine - Marcus du Sautoy
Mathematics: a very short introduction - Timothy gowers
Why E = MC^2 - Brian Cox
Alex's Adventures in numberland - Alex Bellos
Big Bang - Simon Singh
Makers of Mathematics - S.Hollingdale
Alan Turing, the Enigma - A.Hodges
The Man who knew infinity - R.Kanigel
Littlewoods miscellany
Number - J.Mcleish
Penrose Tile to Trapdoor Ciphers - M.Gardner
To infinity and beyond - Eli Maor
A Mathematical mosaic - Ravi Vakil
Solving mathematical problems - Terence Tao
From here to infinity - Ian Stewart
What's happening in the mathematical sciences - B.Cipra
Archimedes revenge - P.Hoffman
The mathematical experience - P.J.Davis
The penguin dictionary of curious and interesting numbers - D.Wells
New applications of mathematics - C.Bondi
Reaching for infinity - S.Gibilisco
The new scientist guide to chaos - N.Hall
Hidden unity in natures laws - John.C.Taylor
The cosmic onion - Frank Close
The quantum universe -T.Hey
Was Einstein right? -C.M.Will
The accidental universe - P.C.W Davies

That's mint. Imma see if I can get some of them and nail through them this summer. I just prefer to buy used copies as I like reading a physical book and also they are generally good quality from amazon.

That's mint. Imma see if I can get some of them and nail through them this summer. I just prefer to buy used copies as I like reading a physical book and also they are generally good quality from amazon.

There are some pretty good books on that list! I really want to try and read all of them, and more! I've not read in a couple of weeks, with there being exams and everything. But once they are over, I will be getting through them pretty quickly! :biggrin: I also prefer to hold a physical book - it just feels more comfy :biggrin: but books are incredibly cheap on the kindle, donut cuts down my costs in the long haul :smile:
There are some pretty good books on that list! I really want to try and read all of them, and more! I've not read in a couple of weeks, with there being exams and everything. But once they are over, I will be getting through them pretty quickly! :biggrin: I also prefer to hold a physical book - it just feels more comfy :biggrin: but books are incredibly cheap on the kindle, donut cuts down my costs in the long haul :smile:

Yeah same here. The books are easier to read too because you can easily get through 2 a day because they are so short. Anyways, I'm off to bed. Goodnight guys and girls!

Yeah same here. The books are easier to read too because you can easily get through 2 a day because they are so short. Anyways, I'm off to bed. Goodnight guys and girls!

Not all of them are that short! I find they take longer to read than novels do, as you have to take in more information about mathematical and physical concepts, rather than just reading a conversation or a description of a setting. You also learn a lot :smile:

Na'night :biggrin:
I guess not only do you guys like Maths and Physics, you're probably really good at them too!

I do well in Physics exams (probably something to do with having a Dad with a Physics degree) but I'm really bad at Maths. It's my most revised subject, and I do heavy revision every single day up to 4 weeks before an exam, but I still managed two B's for the first halves of my double GCSE. I resat them both, and managed to get a lower score in one and only a few marks higher in the other.

But I'm taking Maths and Physics for A-Level. ;__;
Original post by AboveTheLine
I guess not only do you guys like Maths and Physics, you're probably really good at them too!

I do well in Physics exams (probably something to do with having a Dad with a Physics degree) but I'm really bad at Maths. It's my most revised subject, and I do heavy revision every single day up to 4 weeks before an exam, but I still managed two B's for the first halves of my double GCSE. I resat them both, and managed to get a lower score in one and only a few marks higher in the other.

Yes, I love them both, and they're both my strongest subjects :smile: not everybody picks Maths up easily. Some people mature mathematically very young, wheras some don't until college. It varies a lot from person to person :smile: It's great to see that you're putting the effort in! A dad with a Physics degree ey? :wink: I wish my dad had a physics degree :tongue: Yes, of you're taking Physicd at college, you should definitely take Maths too, as physics requires Maths beyond GCSE level :smile: Good luck with your exams!
Reply 169
Morning :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Morning :smile:

hey! :biggrin:
Reply 171
This is a fantastic resource for anyone doing AQA character and voice for english literature ----

its quite detailed so is quite long but is really good!

http://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/aqa_gcse_english_literature_poetry_character_and_voice/Char_Voice%2520Poetry_Rev_Resource.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shyamshah
I'm on AQA you? Yeah i struggle with poetry too and am just hoping the questions which come up are nice questions. English is definitely gonna be like one of the hardest exams. I'm doing double science so I need to get like all A's in the 3 sciences to get an A in one of my GCSEs. Woah you have loads left, when is your last exam?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Orange Monte Carlo

Yeah AQA :smile: same what cluster are you doing? I'm doing Conflict (i hate it!) and agreed, te english exams are so long and painful :frown: Oh cool are you Edexcel for science? I finish on the 27th of June, the joy of German! When do you finish?
Original post by AboveTheLine

Good luck with the physics but if you are struggling that much with Maths at A-Level I would vehemently oppose you taking it as it is a huge step up and there will be enough maths in physics A-Level that you need to learn!!
So what exams does everyone have today? I have economics :smile:
Original post by usycool1
So what exams does everyone have today? I have economics :smile:

Good ol' none!!!!! Woooooo :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

I only had 2 this week which were RE, both on tuesday. Then I have 2 next week; english lit (one on tuesday and one on thursday). Then the week after that I only have 2 (AS ICT on tuesday and Addmaths on wednesday). Then the week after that is half term. Then the week after that I will tell you about later. Then the week after that I have 3 (German listening and geog human on monday and physics on wednesday). Then the week after that I have just 1 which is german reading on wednesday.

So all pretty good!!!

Except for that week I was going to tell you about where I have 7. That the week you will never see me on here agian as that is the week in which I kill myself!!
Reply 176
Yes, I love them both, and they're both my strongest subjects :smile: not everybody picks Maths up easily. Some people mature mathematically very young, wheras some don't until college. It varies a lot from person to person :smile: It's great to see that you're putting the effort in! A dad with a Physics degree ey? :wink: I wish my dad had a physics degree :tongue: Yes, of you're taking Physicd at college, you should definitely take Maths too, as physics requires Maths beyond GCSE level :smile: Good luck with your exams!

It's all lies, as physics is like 90 percent words and 10 percent maths.:rolleyes:
Original post by tamil4
Yeah AQA :smile: same what cluster are you doing? I'm doing Conflict (i hate it!) and agreed, te english exams are so long and painful :frown: Oh cool are you Edexcel for science? I finish on the 27th of June, the joy of German! When do you finish?

I'm doing Conflict aswell. Nah AQA for the sciences. Yeah same I got German on the 27th June also. How have ypu done in the controlled assessments for German?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Orange Monte Carlo
Looool I just now saw that other thread of Mark III created by Sheel 1 ahahaha jookeeeesssss.....

We must have had like 40 odd pages to go.
Original post by LegendX
It's all lies, as physics is like 90 percent words and 10 percent maths.:rolleyes:

Not at A-Level it isn't mate!

GCSE Physics: the focus is on language (I mean writing and concepts and explainign)
A-Level Physics: the focus is on Maths, loads of Higher Level Maths ****.

Trut me I know. I am doing Physics A-Level atm. Have done G491 for OCR B spec. So 30% of it.

Latest