Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I turn an egg from the Supermarket into a chicken?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Just read this, don't know how accurate it is.

"Anytime you cook and eat an egg, you may notice a white lump within the albumen. This white lump is the chicken fetus. Years ago, eggs had no such noticeable lumps. Hormones introduced to chickens may be responsible for the fast development of the chicken fetus. Note that it is NOT necessary for a chicken fetus to be fertilized for it to be present within you eggs."

http://www.ehow.com/how_5458210_remo...fetus-egg.html
    Fertilisation is a process which takes place at a single cell level. There simply isn't a foetus if fertilisation hasn't taken place.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Alarmingly enough, I have come across (on the internet, in America, where else), people who have done experiments with keeping fertile eggs in their bra for 21 days . . . some of them have actually had success and ended up with a healthy chick hatching . . . in their bra! :lolwut: :awesome:
    Did the lady breastfeed the chick?

Owh wait, they eat worms lol.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Just read this, don't know how accurate it is.

"Anytime you cook and eat an egg, you may notice a white lump within the albumen. This white lump is the chicken fetus. Years ago, eggs had no such noticeable lumps. Hormones introduced to chickens may be responsible for the fast development of the chicken fetus. Note that it is NOT necessary for a chicken fetus to be fertilized for it to be present within you eggs."

http://www.ehow.com/how_5458210_remo...fetus-egg.html
    Immaculate conception :rofl:

Yes, it's a load of tosh. I think they're referring to the chalaza - they're thicker, stringy bits of albumen that keep the yolk in place within the egg and have nothing to do with fertilisation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalaza

PS the first bits of a chicken foetus to develop is a 'web' of veins, so how they imagine that a spine and eyes are going to develop before that point :dontknow:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now eggs seem utterly revolting.
    And I have egg mayo sandwiches for lunch
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Suppose so. Look what happened to me this morning.

(I assume that this picture is going to be a bit of a neg magnet)
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palatial Veranda)
    Suppose so. Look what happened to me this morning.

(I assume that this picture is going to be a bit of a neg magnet)
    Well you'd have trouble turning that into a chicken, seeing as it's a duck foetus!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha not really, only a tiny minority of supermarket eggs were fertilised in the first place (it can occasionally happen that a rooster is missexed and kept with the laying hens) but even then, by the time you buy them there has been a time that the egg has not been incubated which would stop the development of most foetuses and for the ones remaining alive, you would need to use an incubator to have a fighting chance of hatching anything. Even if you could though, what would you do with the resulting chick?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Well you'd have trouble turning that into a chicken, seeing as it's a duck foetus!
    Yeah, it's Balut.

Fair play. Was kind eschewing taxonomic accuracy in favour of a shock factor.

I'll go and sit on my own up the garden now . . .
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can, just like you can turn bread back into wheat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have to use famers eggs, not supermarket eggs. Then theyll become chickens (been there done that)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you've done at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.