Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bournelli, equation for variance? (with picture!)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I was watching khan academy videos on Stats, and I noticed this:

why he does not calculate the variance of the sample he has first, and then approximate the variance of the normal distribution using the result?

Rest of the question is on picture in white text, any help much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu5ff.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	148943  
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please help, exam tomorrow :/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is M_1 (or mu_1) at the very start? And what is he trying to show, the normal distribution approximation for the sum of 1000 choices of 0 or 1 where the probability of choosing 1 is 0.642? In any case, that's a freaking tiny variance that can't be right for whatever
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    What is M_1 (or mu_1) at the very start? And what is he trying to show, the normal distribution approximation for the sum of 1000 choices of 0 or 1 where the probability of choosing 1 is 0.642? In any case, that's a freaking tiny variance that can't be right for whatever
    mu_1 is mean of sample number 1

He tries to show how many people have voted for a candidate (choice 1) and how many didn't (choice 0), by using this sample he then creates a normal distribution of all the sample means.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moa)
    mu_1 is mean of sample number 1

He tries to show how many people have voted for a candidate (choice 1) and how many didn't (choice 0), by using this sample he then creates a normal distribution of all the sample means.
    I'm still not sure what he's trying to show, that final super tiny variance makes no sense to me, sorry. Was there anything prior to this question he built upon?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure what he's trying to show, that final super tiny variance makes no sense to me, sorry. Was there anything prior to this question he built upon?
    Maybe the video can help you, if you have time to skim through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ye5...28115D3D8A2566
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moa)
    Maybe the video can help you, if you have time to skim through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ye5...28115D3D8A2566
    Ah, I see. It builds on earlier videos (or so he says), but he's working out how the sample mean varies. He has worked out the variance of the first sample, but by a 'stock' formula (Bin(n,p) has variance np(1-p)), which gives the same answer as your more general formula. I'm assuming you're okay with the rest, just the calculation of the variance was different to what you expected?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. It builds on earlier videos (or so he says), but he's working out how the sample mean varies. He has worked out the variance of the first sample, but by a 'stock' formula (Bin(n,p) has variance np(1-p)), which gives the same answer as your more general formula. I'm assuming you're okay with the rest, just the calculation of the variance was different to what you expected?
    Yes that is it, its all clear now, I can see that the results of "mine" and his formulas are very close.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.