Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Tips for interview at PwC

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm kind of new to this TSR thing so bare with me

But i have a telephone interview with PwC next thursday to join one of their school leaver's programme. Any hints and tips? What questions should i ask at the end of the interview? And i need help in finding some interesting news/current affairs that i can discuss with the interviewer... it would be real help!
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misspinx20)
    Hi guys

I'm kind of new to this TSR thing so bare with me

But i have a telephone interview with PwC next thursday to join one of their school leaver's programme. Any hints and tips? What questions should i ask at the end of the interview? And i need help in finding some interesting news/current affairs that i can discuss with the interviewer... it would be real help!
    Hey

The most important thing for anything like this is to research the company and show you really understand them and the role you are applying for. Then secondly to show how much you are excited and motivated by the opportunity to work there.

Think about yourself and what you can bring to the role and the positives about you and your background.

You could ask about people who have been through the program previously and how they have progressed within the company. This lets you understand career paths and also shows motivation to develop.

In terms of topical discussion, there's plenty to discuss around business efficiency which isn't very controversial. How PWC can aid business growth in tough times and to assist in restructuring businesses for survival are a couple of examples that tie back. But really you should talk about things that you are comfortable with.
    Anyway I am sure other people will have a useful input on this too. Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck and would love to hear how you get on?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's also a conversation by akg999 further down that relates to the PWC telephone interview take a look through that one too perhaps

• 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    www.accountancyage.com

Look under practice, you'll find all sorts about PWC.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by According to Pete)
    Hey

The most important thing for anything like this is to research the company and show you really understand them and the role you are applying for. Then secondly to show how much you are excited and motivated by the opportunity to work there.

Think about yourself and what you can bring to the role and the positives about you and your background.

You could ask about people who have been through the program previously and how they have progressed within the company. This lets you understand career paths and also shows motivation to develop.

In terms of topical discussion, there's plenty to discuss around business efficiency which isn't very controversial. How PWC can aid business growth in tough times and to assist in restructuring businesses for survival are a couple of examples that tie back. But really you should talk about things that you are comfortable with.
    Anyway I am sure other people will have a useful input on this too. Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck and would love to hear how you get on?

Thank you so much hopefully i can find out some interesting news...but does it have to be about PwC? can i talk about the current eurozone crisis and the effect that its had...or is that too much to talk about? Gosh this interview is scaring me more than my a-level exams at the moment!
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Reading the other discussions (although not knowing the PWC process) they are talking about examples like Game and how PwC could have helped their situation. So I'd suggest you check the documents you have to see the official line.

Don't worry though, the fact you care and are researching will see you right.

You don't want to lose your focus on a levels though so chin up and it will be awesome.

Let me know how you go

• 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which programme are you applying for? The biggest thing at PwC right now, well in Tax anyway, is the Panorama show that was on last week. They aren't really bothered about the connotations the show tried to raise, but the fact they claimed to have obtained confidential documents. They're concerned about the damage a potential security breach could do to their reputation. On the subject of reputation, no other big 4 was mentioned in that show, it was all PwC. Brand power.

According to Pete has given you good advice so far, just scour the PwC site for as much info as you can. They are actually pretty good at explaining their recruitment process and have lots of information to help you prepare.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank you for that! I never knew there was a programme on panorama about pwc...looks like a good topic to talk about. Is it possible to send me the link where i can access the video? Please

I've actually looked everywhere on the PwC website...but the problem is that there is TOO much information! I don't know what things to pick out, because they're all so interesting =/ Oh well, i hope the interviewer understands that and bares with me in the interview...
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine just take it all in and show that passion

• 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank you for that! I never knew there was a programme on panorama about pwc...looks like a good topic to talk about. Is it possible to send me the link where i can access the video? Please

I've actually looked everywhere on the PwC website...but the problem is that there is TOO much information! I don't know what things to pick out, because they're all so interesting =/ Oh well, i hope the interviewer understands that and bares with me in the interview...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...uth_About_Tax/

Try to ignore the bias against tax planning and remember that it is a completely legal and key part of any business strategy. There is something called a Tax Avoidance Disclosure (TAD) anyway which requires HMRC to be notified of any fancy new tax strategy, the government is already fully aware of any loopholes.

Yeah just try to relax and be yourself. In reality, most businesses want people who are competent, but just as important is your likeability, and ability to communicate with all types of people.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks! It was a very helpful video...some interesting stuff indeed. I'll let you know how the interview goes
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Research into the company is really important. When you're speaking to them, they should really be able to get the impression that you know about the company, the role you are applying for and you most definitely feel you're the right candidate for the position.
    I understand this is slightly more difficult over the phone as opposed to a face-to-face interview, but just have current knowledge (well, not just current but mainly what's occuring right now) and understand what they are trying to portray as a company so they can see you have a real interest in them.

You also want your personality to shine through. Let them see how friendly you are and how determined and self-motivated you can be. You'd want to let them know you've really thought about the position and considered all the attributes you hold that make you right for the part. Giving examples of this would be pretty helpful too instead of just listing things.

I would have suggested the Panorama episode too so it's good you've taken a look at that.

You seem very passionate about this so I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Don't stress too much over it, and don't take focus away from your A levels either! Keep revising.

Good luck with the interview, let us know how it goes!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleGirl)
    Research into the company is really important. When you're speaking to them, they should really be able to get the impression that you know about the company, the role you are applying for and you most definitely feel you're the right candidate for the position.
    I understand this is slightly more difficult over the phone as opposed to a face-to-face interview, but just have current knowledge (well, not just current but mainly what's occuring right now) and understand what they are trying to portray as a company so they can see you have a real interest in them.

You also want your personality to shine through. Let them see how friendly you are and how determined and self-motivated you can be. You'd want to let them know you've really thought about the position and considered all the attributes you hold that make you right for the part. Giving examples of this would be pretty helpful too instead of just listing things.

I would have suggested the Panorama episode too so it's good you've taken a look at that.

You seem very passionate about this so I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Don't stress too much over it, and don't take focus away from your A levels either! Keep revising.

Good luck with the interview, let us know how it goes!
    Thank you very much! My interview is the day after tomorrow, so i'm trying to gather as much information about PwC as i can. I've also picked a lot of points from the Panorama episode, so if they ask me to talk about it further i can comment on how their reputation might get affected as a result. I also have a queation ready for them about this issue....so hopefully it goes well And i'll definitely let you know how it goes
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! My interview is the day after tomorrow, so i'm trying to gather as much information about PwC as i can. I've also picked a lot of points from the Panorama episode, so if they ask me to talk about it further i can comment on how their reputation might get affected as a result. I also have a queation ready for them about this issue....so hopefully it goes well And i'll definitely let you know how it goes
    Ah good, I'm glad the Panorama episode was helpful! It's good that you've really thought about it too, and will be able to comment and also question it further.

So you're planning on not going to university then? Are there other programmes you've looked at/considered applying to?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah good, I'm glad the Panorama episode was helpful! It's good that you've really thought about it too, and will be able to comment and also question it further.

So you're planning on not going to university then? Are there other programmes you've looked at/considered applying to?
    Well, i've accepted offers from two unis, but if i do get this job then i won't go. Although, it really depends on my exam results! For university i need AAB, but for this i only need CCC. I haven't really looked at other programmes, because i wasn't aware that so many firms/businesses have a student leaver programme, until now when i started preparing for this interview. Let's just see how the PwC process goes...fingers crossed!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, i've accepted offers from two unis, but if i do get this job then i won't go. Although, it really depends on my exam results! For university i need AAB, but for this i only need CCC. I haven't really looked at other programmes, because i wasn't aware that so many firms/businesses have a student leaver programme, until now when i started preparing for this interview. Let's just see how the PwC process goes...fingers crossed!
    AAB? Which university is that for? And what have you applied for?

Ah okay, cool. How did you find out about PwC, anyway?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    For everyone with interviews at PwC, they assess you based on these criteria:

http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/webadmi...et-2011-12.pdf

They even give examples and a little check-list for you! Keep up to date with business news and make sure you have all competencies in that pdf.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    For everyone with interviews at PwC, they assess you based on these criteria:

http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/webadmi...et-2011-12.pdf

They even give examples and a little check-list for you! Keep up to date with business news and make sure you have all competencies in that pdf.
    Oh thanks I've looked at this before and noted down all the possible questions they could ask me, along with examples. I'm trying to keep up to date with the news...though there are some examples i've got jotted down that i think might engage the interviewer....let's see!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks I've looked at this before and noted down all the possible questions they could ask me, along with examples. I'm trying to keep up to date with the news...though there are some examples i've got jotted down that i think might engage the interviewer....let's see!
    Sounds like you are preparing well, just keep at it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    AAB? Which university is that for? And what have you applied for?

Ah okay, cool. How did you find out about PwC, anyway?
    Hey!!! Oh my god! That interview was so daunting! The lady literally grilled me! She kept asking me to talk about what I did....everything about me, me and nothing but me! I had to be really specific about my examples. Surely never going to forget this interview! But, one thing she didn't ask me was for me to ask questions! i had so many prepared as well! But i really don't know how this interview went =/ I tried my level best! FINGERSSSS CROSSSED!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.