Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

From B to A* ?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically, im resitting my january CHEM4 exam next month, along with doing the CHEM5 exam. I'm currently on a grade B where the only way i can get an A is to get a total of 220/240 UMS over the 2 papers, that would get my total UMS to 460 overall and therefore constituting an A grade.

However, wouldnt getting an average of 110/120 UMS on both A2 units also mean that i would get an A* because that would mean that my overall Chemistry GCE was above the A grade, and i got 110/120 UMS on both A2 ?

or am i thinking about this the wrong way
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, and I welcome anybody to correct me if I am wrong, you need simply an average of 90 UMS in each paper at AS(*) and atleast 90 UMS in both of your A2 papers for an A*.

You scenario kind of confuses me and I'm too tired to re-read it, but hopefully that should make it clearer for you?

*By average in AS I mean a combination, so maybe 91 and 89, 95 and 85, etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To get an A*, I think you also need 90% of the total 600 so therefore 540/600. What did you get at AS? I'm not too sure actually, because, although I don't do Chemistry, this also applies to me with my Maths A2 modules C3, M1 and C4, because apparently the only way to get an A* in Maths is to get above 90% on all A2 modules and the total of all modules is also out of 600. You're maybe best asking your Chemistry teacher about how grade boundaries fair up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what confused me, i got a B average in chemistry, board is AQA. But in maths you need to average A for the whole A Level course, but 90/100 UMS average on C3 and C4 (i need 82UMS on C4 for an A*) M1 classifies as an AS exam, only C3/4 count towards the A*.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuroudo93)
    Basically, im resitting my january CHEM4 exam next month, along with doing the CHEM5 exam. I'm currently on a grade B where the only way i can get an A is to get a total of 220/240 UMS over the 2 papers, that would get my total UMS to 460 overall and therefore constituting an A grade.

However, wouldnt getting an average of 110/120 UMS on both A2 units also mean that i would get an A* because that would mean that my overall Chemistry GCE was above the A grade, and i got 110/120 UMS on both A2 ?

or am i thinking about this the wrong way
    This is possible, to get an A* you need an overall A for both AS and A2 and 90% A2, it works even if your AS is a B as long as your overall UMS is equivalent to an A. Well that is what I read somewhere. Hope it helps

Edit: when I said overall A for both AS and A2 I mean on average, not individually.
    To be awarded an A*, candidates will need to
    achieve a grade A on the full A Level qualification and
    an A* on the aggregate of the A2 units.
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2420-W-SP.PDF -page 51
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pd...BOUNDARIES.PDF -page 11

Basically you need a total UMS of 480 out of 600 for the A and an average of 90 in A2 for A*
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustAbi)
    This is possible, to get an A* you need an overall A for both AS and A2 and 90% A2, it works even if your AS is a B as long as your overall UMS is equivalent to an A. Well that is what I read somewhere. Hope it helps

Edit: when I said overall A for both AS and A2 I mean on average, not individually.

Basically you need a total UMS of 480 out of 600 for the A and an average of 90 in A2 for A*
    I agree with what you're saying.

(Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    As far as I'm aware, and I welcome anybody to correct me if I am wrong, you need simply an average of 90 UMS in each paper at AS(*) and atleast 90 UMS in both of your A2 papers for an A*.

You scenario kind of confuses me and I'm too tired to re-read it, but hopefully that should make it clearer for you?

No, you must have heard wrong information somewhere.

(Original post by alt31)
    what exam board are you?
    you can only get an A* if your overall AS grade is an A,
    then your unit 4,5,6 have to be 90% overall
    It's not the AS grade that needs to be an A, it's the average across all the modules.

(Original post by As_Dust_Dances_)
    To get an A*, I think you also need 90% of the total 600 so therefore 540/600. What did you get at AS? I'm not too sure actually, because, although I don't do Chemistry, this also applies to me with my Maths A2 modules C3, M1 and C4, because apparently the only way to get an A* in Maths is to get above 90% on all A2 modules and the total of all modules is also out of 600. You're maybe best asking your Chemistry teacher about how grade boundaries fair up.
    No, that's not the criteria, see above
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustAbi)

So basically, if i've got this right, im on a B, thats a possible grade. I need 110/120 in both A2 modules for an A, but if i get those marks i would get an A* instead so an A is not possible? its either B or A* ?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So basically, if i've got this right, im on a B, thats a possible grade. I need 110/120 in both A2 modules for an A, but if i get those marks i would get an A* instead so an A is not possible? its either B or A* ?
    Basically yeah, based on everything I've read. It's a common scenario with this new A* grade surprisingly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For domestic A levels (i.e. anything but CIE) you only need an average of 80% across the whole A level and 90% across the A2, i.e. 480/600 and 270/300 on the A2.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, except that there are 3 units for the A2 (don't forget the ISA), and you need to get at least 270/300 across the 3 of them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I thought is was 80 UMS average for both years AND 90 UMS in each A2 paper?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For an A* you need 80% over the whole A level, including 90% overall in the A2 modules.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bong)
    No -what if the unit is only out of 80?

It is (and A overall and) 180/200 for 2 unit A2s and 270/300 for 3 unit A2s. It does NOT matter how those 180 or 270 UMS are split between the units.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Data;37619589][QUOTE=Agenda Suicide;37608141]As far as I'm aware, and I welcome anybody to correct me if I am wrong, you need simply an average of 90 UMS in each paper at AS(*) and atleast 90 UMS in both of your A2 papers for an A*.

For domestic A levels (i.e. anything but CIE) you only need an average of 80% across the whole A level and 90% across the A2, i.e. 480/600 and 270/300 on the A2.

(Original post by bong)

Are you guys kidding? I could be on line for an A* in 2 subjects and not one teacher mentioned it to me?

Didn't know that, thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Data)
    No -what if the unit is only out of 80?

It is (and A overall and) 180/200 for 2 unit A2s and 270/300 for 3 unit A2s. It does NOT matter how those 180 or 270 UMS are split between the units.
    By UMS i meant the scaled mark - think of it as a percentage. As far as I know, for every single subject you need 80 UMS (80%) overall and 90 UMS (90%) for the A2 units.

The only exception i'm aware of is maths - the A2 units only require 90 UMS for C3 and C4 and 80 UMS for the applied A2 unit (M2/S2/D2/etc.)
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    100/120 ums good? for chem
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bong)
    By UMS i meant the scaled mark - think of it as a percentage. As far as I know, for every single subject you need 80 UMS (80%) overall and 90 UMS (90%) for the A2 units.
    I think you misunderstand the meaning of UMS (uniform mark scheme). Each unit has a max UMS which can be anything from 40 to 200. It should not be confused with a %.

(Original post by bong)
    The only exception i'm aware of is maths - the A2 units only require 90 UMS for C3 and C4 and 80 UMS for the applied A2 unit (M2/S2/D2/etc.)
    Not quite; you need 180/200 from C3 and C4 and 480/600 overall. You do not have to get 80 in the 'A2 Applied unit' - in fact, there doesn't even need to be one. C1-4, M1 and S1 is a valid combination for A level Maths.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    People! It doesn't matter what you got at AS!

You could get C's at AS and an A* at A2!

80% overall, 90% over A2 units. No more. No less.

[You'd need to get 100ums in your A2 units though so probably wanna im for more then a C ]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I could in theory go from A*BB to A*A*A* if i do phenominally, that is incredible
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Data)
    I think you misunderstand the meaning of UMS
    :facepalm2:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.