Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The devil is the good guy?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    In most main stream religions, isn't the devil/hell/diablo/the guy with the red horns and pointy tail the good guy?

God gives people the free will to do what they want and creates the concept of wrong-doing and evil. No matter who you are, the devil will take you after death and accepts those who God simply casts aside.

Whilst it may not be pleasant, the devil isn't judgemental nor picky and takes everybody willing to enter.

Doesn't this make him in some sense quite high in terms or moral standards?

Genuine question.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    In religion, the devil is just a manifestation of the ego. It is not an external power; it shows how smart the ego is because it created the devil so you can blame someone else. There is no such thing as the devil but its just an illusion.

That's how I understand it but I am atheist.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read the title and I thought "you have to be kidding me". Then I read the rest and I can see where you're coming from.

If the devil is non-judgmental and accepts everybody then he does sound to be a better person that God is simply because he accepts people as they are. However, he will not give you peace once you go with him so going with God is what you'd want.

I'm a Christian but I am assuming that you believe in heaven and hell, hence why I replied like that. I understand that not everybody does
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, if God exists, presumably the devil (like all others/everything else) is just an extension of his will (nothing can exist outside of his will). Everything is just part of some grand mind-game he is playing with himself, and maybe the devil adds to the fun. Or perhaps some part of God is trying to undermine himself in the form of the devil (issues with self-esteem?).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In most movies/films, yes. lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The devil knows God is all powerful and even that he created him. But he still chooses to fight him. Such a courageous and brave guy.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    When you say the devil is high in moral standards, which moral standards are you referring to?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the devil himself is not immune to the punishments of Hell.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Devil is the big cheese of hell, so he probably won't be bothered about all the admin and who comes in or not, he'll leave that to his little minions and sit back, carefree with a bottle of absinthe in one hand, some dame in the other. So, I reckon, even if he is perceived as having better morals than God, he'll still let anyone and everyone undergo some kind of torture/fire pit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    that just shows the devil's a hussy, with no standards.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this for real? Sure, he'll take in anyone, but then he'll torture them for all eternity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hades was not necessarily a bad god. Osiris, guardian of the underworld and of human souls in the afterlife, was regarded as the 'good God'. Seth, the Satan prototype helped the god Re slay the serpent.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punk Phloyd)
    Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to post "teaches critical thinking".
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    I read the title and I thought "you have to be kidding me". Then I read the rest and I can see where you're coming from.

If the devil is non-judgmental and accepts everybody then he does sound to be a better person that God is simply because he accepts people as they are. However, he will not give you peace once you go with him so going with God is what you'd want.

I'm a Christian but I am assuming that you believe in heaven and hell, hence why I replied like that. I understand that not everybody does
    I don't really believe in anything, it was just for them who did I was wondering. I understand you get tortured and everything along those lines but it was the concept of him taking you aboard, no matter how bad, when the guy who 'created' you and 'created' everything (including the concepts of doing wrong and evil) casting you aside as he's decided that he doesn't love you anymore.

(Original post by .eXe)
    When you say the devil is high in moral standards, which moral standards are you referring to?
    Well he accepts anybody for who they are, God does not (Including in some religions for being homosexual). He offers a place for those not accepted in main stream society and will turn away nobody. I'd say that sounds fairly decent.

(Original post by willbee)
    Is this for real? Sure, he'll take in anyone, but then he'll torture them for all eternity.
    Yes but it doesn't matter, he is taking you in, giving you refuge somewhere (no matter how horrible) when somebody who is supposedly all loving and powerful has decided you aren't good enough for him anymore.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    Well he accepts anybody for who they are, God does not (Including in some religions for being homosexual). He offers a place for those not accepted in main stream society and will turn away nobody. I'd say that sounds fairly decent.
    Yes but God by definition is perfect and thus he can only accept those who are without sin and the only way to be without sin is to receive forgiveness by believing in Jesus and his resurrection.

If God accepted everyone then he wouldn't be God anymore because he would cease to be perfect.

You're making no damn sense.

E: yeah thanks for the neg coward, mind explaining why?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Yes but God by definition is perfect and thus he can only accept those who are without sin and the only way to be without sin is to receive forgiveness by believing in Jesus and his resurrection.

If God accepted everyone then he wouldn't be God anymore because he would cease to be perfect.

You're making no damn sense.

E: yeah thanks for the neg coward, mind explaining why?

You come here, ramble about me making no sense and say something about being perfect.

By what definition is he perfect? He appears exclusive, unforgiving and unwilling to help those in need.

PS for crying over a neg, I tried negging you myself, but I'm out for today, so I'll come back tomorrow to make it -2.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    You come here, ramble about me making no sense and say something about being perfect.

By what definition is he perfect? He appears exclusive, unforgiving and unwilling to help those in need.

PS for crying over a neg, I tried negging you myself, but I'm out for today, so I'll come back tomorrow to make it -2.
    Oh I have no qualms about the neg. Try reading next time fool, I wanted an explanation for the neg.

Also, I didn't ramble anything. What I said was perfectly logical...God is by definition perfect. If he isn't perfect then he isn't God. What part of that is rambling? If you cannot comprehend English that's okay but don't accuse me of being disingenuous.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If the devil wouldn't be judgemental then he's obviously obey God since he doesn't, he's judgemental. Everybody willing can enter given that they don't follow Gods guidance, just as everybody can enter Gods guidance if you don't follow the devils guidance.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    In Christianity, the devil is meant to be another creature that's being punished in hell along side sinners. Some christians believe he was an angel but then did bad things so got put into hell.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.