Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is the use of my name and links to my facebook on a public blog site legal?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a large blog website with threads - a bit like TSR, discusses me, has my full name and a link to facebook in which I could be traced. Its a pretty old thread and i found it recently, but I am not happy with my full name being used without my permission or the link. I contacted the website a few days ago, not requesting the removal of the thread, but of my full name and the link. I have heard nothing back and there have been no changes. I have changed my facebook settings so I can no longer be traced, but I feel that the fact I had to do this is a breech of my rights. I am also not comfortable with my full name being used publicly combined with some details. Particularly as it comes up on the first page if you google my name. Is there any further action I can take? is the use of my name without my permission even legal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brunettegirl92)
    a large blog website with threads - a bit like TSR, discusses me, has my full name and a link to facebook in which I could be traced. Its a pretty old thread and i found it recently, but I am not happy with my full name being used without my permission or the link. I contacted the website a few days ago, not requesting the removal of the thread, but of my full name and the link. I have heard nothing back and there have been no changes. I have changed my facebook settings so I can no longer be traced, but I feel that the fact I had to do this is a breech of my rights. I am also not comfortable with my full name being used publicly combined with some details. Particularly as it comes up on the first page if you google my name. Is there any further action I can take? is the use of my name without my permission even legal?
    Ofcourse it is.

Newpapers talk about people all of the time.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you reported it to the cyber police? They should be able to backtrace it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    Ofcourse it is.

Newpapers talk about people all of the time.
    I see that point, but they also- even inadvertantly- provided a means to contact me.
    The thing is, I need to ensure that my personal details or means or contact are not 'leaked' due to reasons of personal safety- i have an estranged parent and the word violent doesn't even cut it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Have you reported it to the cyber police? They should be able to backtrace it.
    is there much point? I know the source- its a massive blog site, and the threat has the starter's screen name. I just don't want to be traced when I am a private person.

as you can see I know very little about internet laws...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing you can do apart from report it to the site admin team and see what they can do, they don't have to take it down if they don't want. Which site is it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see that point, but they also- even inadvertantly- provided a means to contact me.
    The thing is, I need to ensure that my personal details or means or contact are not 'leaked' due to reasons of personal safety- i have an estranged parent and the word violent doesn't even cut it.
    Again, many times newspapers talk about the twitter account of celebs, this is no different.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's defamation/slander, and even then (just because no one will care ), you're not going to get anywhere if the administrator(s) of the website won't remove it.

If it's an old thread, just let it be, it's not worth getting too stressed about - anyhow, if it's old and you've only just seen it, and no one can contacted you from it, you should be okay?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    that's weird, what website is it called/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ah cool thanks - I've changed my settings on fb so I cannot be traced. I have in the past been domestically abused and so I need to ensure I have as much contol over how acessible my details are and just generally be careful with it. It's got stuff about my a-levels and some personal details, and on the site's rules it actually states that you cannot use full names or such links, so I can just e-mail them again and remind them of this -someone more complient might answer it this time. That or they get a high volume of emails and just haven't got to it yet. But i wont do anymore than that if its pointless. I haven't been contacted so I won't stress, I just don't like personal details to be available to the public. I'm generally a private person.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    ah cool thanks - I've changed my settings on fb so I cannot be traced. I have in the past been domestically abused and so I need to ensure I have as much contol over how acessible my details are and just generally be careful with it. It's got stuff about my a-levels and some personal details, and on the site's rules it actually states that you cannot use full names or such links, so I can just e-mail them again and remind them of this -someone more complient might answer it this time. That or they get a high volume of emails and just haven't got to it yet. But i wont do anymore than that if its pointless. I haven't been contacted so I won't stress, I just don't like personal details to be available to the public. I'm generally a private person.
    They might also never check their emails, or ignore a vast majority of them. I do hope someone replies to you though, I'd hate it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just don't like personal details to be available to the public. I'm generally a private person.
    And for that reason you should have your facebook account set up so that it doesn't matter whether people have a link to it or not. If you upload information in a publicly viewable context, that information is actually, y'know, publicly viewable. People should be more informed when they use social networking sites.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    And for that reason you should have your facebook account set up so that it doesn't matter whether people have a link to it or not. If you upload information in a publicly viewable context, that information is actually, y'know, publicly viewable. People should be more informed when they use social networking sites.
    yeh I really agree with you. when I started facebook, I had all my security settings quite tight, so I wouldn't have these issues, but whenever it makes changes like 'time line' i was shocked to find that most of my settings had been reset to the default 'let everyone know all your buisiness' setting.
    the problem is, facebook is a means of contact, and when someone mentions my name, it could be anyone else with the same name, when they put a link to my profile, it can only be me. I've changed the settings, so my profile can't be found through going on the link, and only friends of friends can message me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.