Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Do you think Facebook will still be around in 20 years?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be i can't see how a social network site that is so popular and has nearly 1 billion users will lose them all and what site out there can compete with it. Unless people stop investing in Facebook or people lose interest on social networking in general- Facebook will still be around. Facebook is like the 2nd invention of the internet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no it wont remember myspace which was really popular a few years back, and bebo and all them sort of social networking sites?

facebook is doing whats important now though, making as much mney as they can while there still reevant.
    i can most definately see it being replaced in the next 5 years or so. my guess is that tsr will last longer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it's peaking. All it takes is one flaw in the security, then people will lose trust and move or just give up. I don't know who has the storage capacity for the skimmed data though.

I'm starting to get a tad fed up with it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think Facebook is now in cement like AMazon/youtube.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have increasingly seen speculation that Facebook could be at the center of a new bubble akin to the dot com bubble, and that Zuckerberg is selling off at just the right time. People will get bored in the end, and there is no other reliable area that Facebook can easily expand into - they don't have the diversity or flexibility of Google.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would be inclined to say no, but TSR has survived 10 I suppose. Not that this little site is anywhere near on the same scale.

Then again, Facebook is pretty dull much of the time, whereas little forums like this tend not to be. I think variety is what keeps a website alive, which is why I believe that Tumblr will last pretty much forever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    no it wont remember myspace which was really popular a few years back, and bebo and all them sort of social networking sites?

facebook is doing whats important now though, making as much mney as they can while there still reevant.
    i can most definately see it being replaced in the next 5 years or so. my guess is that tsr will last longer.
    But look how popular it is- Myspace was never that popular.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najinaji)
    which is why I believe that Tumblr will last pretty much forever.
    Yes, people will never tire of posting pictures of cats and ****ing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najinaji)
    I would be inclined to say no, but TSR has survived 10 I suppose. Not that this little site is anywhere near on the same scale.

Then again, Facebook is pretty dull much of the time, whereas little forums like this tend not to be. I think variety is what keeps a website alive, which is why I believe that Tumblr will last pretty much forever.
    you right it needs to change aspects of it to keep people interest and not do the same boring things all the time. However, is Facebook not introducing some new stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatebrownbread)
    But look how popular it is- Myspace was never that popular.
    there are much much much more people on the internet now, for the time it peaked myspace did pretty well
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hope not, scourge of our generation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, I hope not. I'm already bored of looking at pictures of people's babies or what they had for their tea. I rarely go on it and a lot of people I know have said the same, I think it's losing its popularity slowly but surely.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose_uni08)
    Bloody hell, I hope not. I'm already bored of looking at pictures of people's babies or what they had for their tea. I rarely go on it and a lot of people I know have said the same, I think it's losing its popularity slowly but surely.
    Totally agree, couldn't agree more. I agree with you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there are much much much more people on the internet now, for the time it peaked myspace did pretty well
    I suppose. But can you really see another social network winning over that many people. The more popular something is the harder it will be to get people away from that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Neither Myscape nor Bebo was a big as Facebook is. Zuckerberg is one of the richest people in the world and Facebook has ~800 million users.

People will stop using Facebook, moving on to something that's virtually the same but importantly it will be new. Facebook will stagnate but Zuckerberg is intelligent, incredibly rich, and has one of the best business friends it's possible to have: Bill Gates. My guess is that he'll do something new with computers or he'll invest. Either way it's possible that he'll partner up with Gates, although he has already promised to give away at least a half of his wealth to charity after being persuaded to by Gates.

Only time will tell, OP.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose_uni08)
    And just think in 40 years time those babies will be posting pictures of their babies and so on and so on. And when you dead people will look at your Facebook to see what you done with your life. Either that or Facebook will fall flat in it's face and people won't know what it is in 40 years.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many sites will be still around in 20 years

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManchesterUnited7_)
    I doubt many sites will be still around in 20 years

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    that gets me thinking i wonder if the internet will be around in like 50 years
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I now see Twitter stealing the lime-light. Facebook is slowly dying away. No-one really bothers with it any more; everyone is busy with bbm, twitter or something like Youtube. I'm not saying that Facebook is unused; simply that it's not as popular. People do status updates (but it's usually the same updates by the random people: "Awkward moment when..."), and the chat isn't as popular as, say, bbm (which is obviously restricted to Blackberry) and nobody really looks at photo albums as much. It's all a bit just for show: posting a picture to prove that you've done something or are doing something (how popular!-NOT. Going to the toilets during a night out is NOT cool :argh:).

Sorry, rant over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Yes, people will never tire of posting pictures of cats and ****ing
    Indeed. :yy:

(Original post by ihatebrownbread)
    you right it needs to change aspects of it to keep people interest and not do the same boring things all the time. However, is Facebook not introducing some new stuff.
    Facebook has made little tweaks and twiddles here and there from what I've seen, but nothing that makes it more interesting. It's definitely a convenient tool if you need to talk to someone quickly or organise a project, but other than that it's pretty much useless.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.