The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cath-ay
=/ they started adding 9 mark questions though... those things scare me! Did you do exam papers
from other exam boards by any chance?

Say, I noticed that it's usually the guys who are achieving the super high ums, rarely ever the girls... you seen any girls getting 100 ums in AQA C3/C4 recently? Kinda random I know :tongue:

I'm doing Solomon Press papers for C3 and C4 as well as Aqa past papers. I'm now used to 9 and even 11 markers now! :smile:

Though everyone criticises me for doing them for some reason...
Reply 21
Original post by JulietheCat
I'm doing Solomon Press papers for C3 and C4 as well as Aqa past papers. I'm now used to 9 and even 11 markers now! :smile:

People shouldn't criticise you at all for trying out more practise questions! If anything, doing a few papers from other exam boards can help, as they may have different ways of approaching a question which in turn could be a life saver in the exam! I just love how many Solomon Press papers there are, on top of the AQA past papers too! :biggrin: Almost finish all the M1 Solomon papers, going to work through FP2, Core 4, S2 and M2 as they come, but they're definitely worth it if you can spare the time. :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
People shouldn't criticise you at all for trying out more practise questions! If anything, doing a few papers from other exam boards can help, as they may have different ways of approaching a question which in turn could be a life saver in the exam! I just love how many Solomon Press papers there are, on top of the AQA past papers too! :biggrin: Almost finish all the M1 Solomon papers, going to work through FP2, Core 4, S2 and M2 as they come, but they're definitely worth it if you can spare the time. :smile:

Yeah, I'm enjoying them too! I of course cross out the stuff which are not from AQA like parametric integration in C4. By the way C4 Solomon papers have some very interesting differential equation questions and 9, 10 and 11 markers are in abundance.

And the C3 cosec integral question - that was taken from the Solomon papers! :smile:
Original post by Cath-ay
=/ they started adding 9 mark questions though... those things scare me! Did you do exam papers from other exam boards by any chance?

Say, I noticed that it's usually the guys who are achieving the super high ums, rarely ever the girls... you seen any girls getting 100 ums in AQA C3/C4 recently? Kinda random I know :tongue:

No I'm AQA. People keep mentioning these 9 mark questions in January but I didn't notice them in C3 or 4 this Jan to be honest. Maybe I'm used to longer questions from further maths (where a 14 mark question is nothing out of the ordinary). I don't know any girl who got that but my sixth form's pretty small. One girl got 100 in C1 last year but that's it girls-wise.
Reply 24

Lol cool :smile: AQA better not throw in a 11 mark question, that would just be madness! Is there like a zip folder of all the C4 solomon press papers anywhere on the net? Please excuse my ignorance -.-

Mmm I don't understand why anyone would criticise you for that 'cause they shouldn't. Doubt it could ever do much harm from getting more practice!
Original post by Cath-ay
Lol cool :smile: AQA better not throw in a 11 mark question, that would just be madness! Is there like a zip folder of all the C4 solomon press papers anywhere on the net? Please excuse my ignorance -.-

Mmm I don't understand why anyone would criticise you for that 'cause they shouldn't. Doubt it could ever do much harm from getting more practice!

No problem, here is the link. :smile:

C4 Solomon papers - http://www.freewebs.com/fisfos815/C4.zip

And their mark schemes - http://www.freewebs.com/fisfos815/C4%20markscheme.ZIP
Reply 26

Ah really appreciate that ^_^, thanks so much :biggrin:
Time to use up all my dad's black ink :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Cant wait till this exam comes round. Really prepared for it. Hopefully its not too hard.
Reply 28
Dreading this paper after Core 3 in January. I was really confident for that exam and felt I understood everything. I did well in my mock and all my past papers. And then the actual exam was horrible and I ended up with a D. I fear it's going to be the same situation for Core 4 in June. They just keep making the papers harder.

The positive I have is that I got 89% last year, so to get my A I only need 71% across C3 resit, C4 and MS2. But saying that, I only managed 55% on C3 first time around.

Good luck to everybody/
Reply 29
Original post by pcorbett94
Dreading this paper after Core 3 in January. I was really confident for that exam and felt I understood everything. I did well in my mock and all my past papers. And then the actual exam was horrible and I ended up with a D. I fear it's going to be the same situation for Core 4 in June. They just keep making the papers harder.

The positive I have is that I got 89% last year, so to get my A I only need 71% across C3 resit, C4 and MS2. But saying that, I only managed 55% on C3 first time around.

Good luck to everybody/

Yeah, that C3 paper was a meany. AQA should have given some sort of warning for the 7/9 mark questions they were adding. Thankfully, you get a second shot at it! Part of me wishes I had chosen to retake lol. Personally I've learnt not to walk into an exam being too confident as you never know what's going to happen!

You should take a look at the download links julie posted earlier on in the thread, if you haven't already. The questions from those papers are pretty challenging!
Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 30
What did you get in C3? I'm resitting after getting 73 :/ Almost missed out the whole of the integration 9 marker and a couple of the other questions at the end.
Reply 31
Original post by tom472
What did you get in C3? I'm resitting after getting 73 :/ Almost missed out the whole of the integration 9 marker and a couple of the other questions at the end.

Asking me...?
Got an A... Need 94ums in C4 to get the grade I want.
Have you tried doing that paper since?
Reply 32
Original post by Cath-ay
Yeah, that C3 paper was a meany. AQA should have given some sort of warning for the 7/9 mark questions they were adding. Thankfully, you get a second shot at it! Part of me wishes I had chosen to retake lol. Personally I've learnt not to walk into an exam being too confident as you never know what's going to happen!

You should take a look at the download links julie posted earlier on in the thread, if you haven't already. The questions from those papers are pretty challenging!
Good luck to you too! :smile:

I found this out last year. I got full marks in one of my chemistry mocks, went into the exam way too overconfident, panicked at the first question because it was set out weird and ended up only getting 70% and having to resit again this year.

I don't really know what happened with Core 3. I'm gonna re-do the Jan 12 paper when I restart my revision (having a day off tomorrow) and see if I can actually can it and whether it was just being a bit rubbish on the day.
Reply 33

*Being extremely noobish and lazy here* What are Solomon papers? How do they differ from our past papers for AQA? And are there are any for Core 3?
Original post by pcorbett94
*Being extremely noobish and lazy here* What are Solomon papers? How do they differ from our past papers for AQA? And are there are any for Core 3?

Yep, they are papers for C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, M1, M2 and some further Maths ones (though the Further Pure ones are off the old spec). Solomon Papers are written by a company called Solomon Press and they are based on Edexcel papers.

These papers differ from Aqa past papers is that they ask the questions differently and you really got to think about the question in hand. They combine question parts together so sometimes you are left to do e.g. a differential equation all in one for 8/10/11 marks. They're harder than the real thing and if you can master Solomon papers or at least get Cs in them, you should be fine in the exam. :smile:

They don't cover mid ordinate or Simpsons rule though. And they combine topics on both papers so I suggest to look at both C3 and C4 e.g. compound angles appear on the C3 Solomon papers.
Reply 35
Yep, they are papers for C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, M1, M2 and some further Maths ones (though the Further Pure ones are off the old spec). Solomon Papers are written by a company called Solomon Press and they are based on Edexcel papers.

These papers differ from Aqa past papers is that they ask the questions differently and you really got to think about the question in hand. They combine question parts together so sometimes you are left to do e.g. a differential equation all in one for 8/10/11 marks. They're harder than the real thing and if you can master Solomon papers or at least get Cs in them, you should be fine in the exam. :smile:

They don't cover mid ordinate or Simpsons rule though. And they combine topics on both papers so I suggest to look at both C3 and C4 e.g. compound angles appear on the C3 Solomon papers.

Thankyou so much for this. Hopefully if I work through all of these I won't be as phased in the C3/C4 exams as I was in January. You may well have just ensured I get the grades to study Medicine :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by ebmaj7
Has anybody got the January paper?

Jan 2012? I've posted them on here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1962500
Reply 37

Thanks for sharing those past paper,is good to prepare the AQA C4 exam as the C4 paper is become more difficult,like C2 :s-smilie: I was confident to get high A before the C2 exam,but now may be drop to low A:frown: After my M1/Physics unit 2 exam in this week,I will work through all of those,thanks again:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Cath-ay
Asking me...?
Got an A... Need 94ums in C4 to get the grade I want.
Have you tried doing that paper since?

Cathy are you going to get A* in maths?
Reply 39
Original post by kenau
Cathy are you going to get A* in maths?

Erm I'm trying to get an A*, don't know if I actually will. I underachieved at AS but am now at the point where the ums between getting an A* and an A (overall) is pretty small, so might as well give it everything I've got and go for an A*. I did retake C2 but that didn't go as well as I hoped lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending