The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dangerous Theory
The reason it looked easy is because you forgot to divide your remainder by 2x+1. You therefore had to integrate a quadratic + the remainder over the linear function, giving you a standard C1 integral answer, as well as a natural log

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by Iepnauy
I don't think that's correct.

When you divide by (2x+1)
You're left with
(2x^2 -x +3) - [5/(2x+1)]

Then you integrate that.

Oh crap, just realised I needed to do that! So, would I have lost like 1/2 marks from that then :s-smilie:
Damn i made so many silly mistakes in this exam!
Reply 742
I feel the grade boundaries will be low, I think I'm fairly competent at Maths, borderline A/B. That paper was so tough, final answers didn't come to fruition for about half the questions but I felt I will acquire method marks to get a low B probably. What I'm saying is a lot of people would have done worse and gotten no marks whatsoever on some questions, especially on that paper I felt. I feel the boundaries will be as low as last years boundaries; maybe a tad higher but that's it.
Original post by lollizard123
Damn i made so many silly mistakes in this exam!

Its understandable. You can bet on the report mentioning it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 744
I got 100 UMS, for sure :biggrin:.
Original post by DavidMRoper
what did you get as the final answer?

In fact, I remember all the numerical answers I got, so I'll post those in next post. :smile:
Original post by Oromis263

In fact, I remember all the numerical answers I got, so I'll post those in next post. :smile:

what was the final T value they wanted?

What was the question which 32.4 was the answer to? My mind's gone blank
Reply 748
Does anyone remember the total marks for Q1? Or individual if possible, cheers.

i got 32.4 as my answer!

but i had this before hand:

t= 3/2 (2x-1)^(5/2) + 5/2(2x-1)^(3/2) - 4

reckon i'll get all the marks for that?
Im just hoping everyone does bad so the boundaries are low (that not very nice but has to be done) lol
Would I lose marks if I did try to work out T but then worked out the correct answer by trial and error?
i faileddddd. I did expect integration by parts to come up. Didnt mange to do so lost 8 marks there, 4 marks gone from the stationary points, another 2 from the exponential, 2 from the vectors, so thats 16 lost right there! Most people seem to have got integration by parts question, and the stationry point 1, so expecting an A to be between 57-60
Note: These are just the numbers I got, they may be wrong. :smile:

Question 1.

A = 2, B = 3
p = -1, q = 3, r = -5

Question 2.

R= rt(10)
alpha = 71.6
Angles: 32, 291

Question 3.

x<4|x|<4

Question 4.

V = £1160
24 years
28 years

Question 5.

Gradient of normal = 1/3
p = 9/4

Question 6.

Coords (-1/3,-1) and (1/3,1)

Question 7.

P(6,-2,1) perhaps?
Coords of B (7.33,1.33,3.67) and (4.67,-5.33,-1.67)

Question 8.

you had to take a factor of 1/4 out of the brakcets, so i think its 4 on the bottom :smile:

did you have to use this question to answer another part? I can't remember

instead of taking out the 4 (to get 9/4) i multiplied the 9 by 4 to get 36! GAH. ffs
Reply 755
Original post by mcfc2009
I feel the grade boundaries will be low, I think I'm fairly competent at Maths, borderline A/B. That paper was so tough, final answers didn't come to fruition for about half the questions but I felt I will acquire method marks to get a low B probably. What I'm saying is a lot of people would have done worse and gotten no marks whatsoever on some questions, especially on that paper I felt. I feel the boundaries will be as low as last years boundaries; maybe a tad higher but that's it.

i totally agree with you, i did the last years paper and this years was alot more difficult
i got 32.4 as my answer!

but i had this before hand:

t= 3/2 (2x-1)^(5/2) + 5/2(2x-1)^(3/2) - 4

reckon i'll get all the marks for that?

I got the same as you, its correct just in a different form. I take it you used substituion U=2x-1.
Reply 757
for the last question where you had to solve the differential equation... i tried to integrate the f(x) using parts. Did anyone else do this??? got something like t=15x(2x-1)^3/2 - (2x-1)^5/2 - 44. I got A (the +c bit) as -44
(edited 11 years ago)

i basically forgot to simplify, since they didn't ask for that- reckon they'll let it slide?
Reply 759
Original post by Arthur.Lewis
In the 8 mark implicit differntiation i didnt minus the second part of the differentiation by parts bit (6xy) As a result i got y=-3x.

However i followed my error through and arrived with an answer (a wrong answer) How many method marks if any do you think im likely to get?

I did this too! Then got x=+or- root 1/21or something crazyy like that lol =/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending