Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very confused about my beliefs, opinions please?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been maintaining an agnostic approach to religion for years now because I came to the conclusion that if there is something, a God of some sort, then I wouldn't have the capacity to understand it. However I find this very frustrating. I'd love to believe in something that I could rely on and pray or meditate to for help and thanks but I honestly don't know which religion best suits me or if I could even comprehend 'something'. I've reached breaking point now to the point where I took a test last night to be told I am:
    100% agnostic
    90% satanic
    55% pagan
    40% christian
    All of the other major world religions were on there (but I noticed Sikhism wasn't?) but those were the percentages that stuck in my head. My mum was pagan and is soon to be baptized as a born again christian after 'finding God' and my dad is a devout roman catholic, I've gone to catholic schools my whole life and attended both catholic churches and pagan festivals. Now I don't actively worship or practice either but I have practiced in both religions growing up and was shocked to be so highly suited to satanism! and so unsuited to Christianity and paganism.
    I'm just so very confused. I take philosophy and ethics of religion as an A level (which has only confused me further) and I plan to take a theology degree out of interest, not faith.
    To be fair, I do over think a lot because I'm a natural thinker. I want to be a novelist so I contemplate a lot of issues when I write shorter stories and it can almost drive me to not sleep for a whole night.
    Do you think I should talk to someone? Maybe my mum's pastor or my dad's priest?
    Sorry for how long this is I just really need some help :')
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I don't think an (online?) test should define your faith. It's most likely all cow excrement.

Secondly I think confusion over what to believe is very commonplace in modern, atheist tolerant society. I'd imagine a theology degree to be rather frustrating if you had a set group of beliefs.

Nonetheless, questioning all and everything is very intellectually healthy.

If it frustrates you too much you can always read Schopenhauer...
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to believe in something that I could rely on and pray or meditate to for help and thanks but I honestly don't know which religion best suits me or if I could even comprehend 'something'
    You can't really decide to base your beliefs on what you find most appealing or "suits you" best, your beliefs are what you actually believe. I don't know about you but I would find being unsure but honest with myself a hell of a lot more preferable to trying to delude myself into a religion on the basis that it sounds nice. Explore other religions by all means, and if you find one that you find genuinely convincing that's great, but simply picking out of a hat and hoping it becomes real to you eventually is a pretty terrible idea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    You can't really decide to base your beliefs on what you find most appealing or "suits you" best, your beliefs are what you actually believe. I don't know about you but I would find being unsure but honest with myself a hell of a lot more preferable to trying to delude myself into a religion on the basis that it sounds nice. Explore other religions by all means, and if you find one that you find genuinely convincing that's great, but simply picking out of a hat and hoping it becomes real to you eventually is a pretty terrible idea.
    When I said 'suits me' I meant more like accepts the things I already believe (e.g acceptance of all people regardless of their beliefs/orientation/gender/race etc.) rather than finding a religion that looks appealing, however that is what it sounded like, sorry I should have made myself more clear It's not a case of deluding myself either (but again that is what it sounds like I meant, apologies) I just feel like there is something more and I need to find it. I could really do with a little bit of hope and faith in something.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Accept Christ as your Saviour today, and you'll never look back.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeJaneR)
    When I said 'suits me' I meant more like accepts the things I already believe (e.g acceptance of all people regardless of their beliefs/orientation/gender/race etc.) rather than finding a religion that looks appealing, however that is what it sounded like, sorry I should have made myself more clear It's not a case of deluding myself either (but again that is what it sounds like I meant, apologies) I just feel like there is something more and I need to find it. I could really do with a little bit of hope and faith in something.
    I'm not sure you'll find any religion that truly does that. Though my experience of satanism or paganism is limited, all the major religions discriminate in some way against personal choices or beliefs, and all quite heavily.

I've been maintaining an agnostic approach to religion for years now because I came to the conclusion that if there is something, a God of some sort, then I wouldn't have the capacity to understand it. However I find this very frustrating. I'd love to believe in something that I could rely on and pray or meditate to for help and thanks but I honestly don't know which religion best suits me or if I could even comprehend 'something'.
    Having come from a background like yours and given your obvious scepticism towards blind faith, I don't think you'll find any religion you can "rely on" because I think you will always have doubt and therefore wont be able to properly suspend your disbelief and accept the religion.

In other words, all religions fail when looked at critically and without the ability to suspend your criticisms of its faults you will never get any benefit from it.

It's fine to remain an agnostic, many people do, just don't think about the issue too much. Or research into non-religious philosophies, and see if you can find the answers there.

You don't need something to pray to, that's really what's causing you problems - feeling a need to follow a religion in order to devote yourself to a deity you don't really believe in or believe you can comprehend.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there really a need to find a belief? And surely if you just pick a religion that you will follow because you think it suits you, it wouldn't actually be a "belief" anyway? It would just be something you say you believe because it makes you happy, and that doesn't really seem right to me. Don't be fooled into thinking that you "need" to talk to anyone about this stuff, all other people will do is try to make you believe what they believe. Ultimately, I think it's most sensible to consider the evidence and arguments put forwards by each religion to establish which, if any, makes sense. Come to your own conclusions, and be your own woman - and remember that religion is not something necessary for that.

By which, of course, I mean you should believe what I believe :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHayden)
    Is there really a need to find a belief? And surely if you just pick a religion that you will follow because you think it suits you, it wouldn't actually be a "belief" anyway? It would just be something you say you believe because it makes you happy, and that doesn't really seem right to me. Don't be fooled into thinking that you "need" to talk to anyone about this stuff, all other people will do is try to make you believe what they believe. Ultimately, I think it's most sensible to consider the evidence and arguments put forwards by each religion to establish which, if any, makes sense. Come to your own conclusions, and be your own woman - and remember that religion is not something necessary for that.

haha! Very clever
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHayden)

good post, that point in particular.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ Is Lord)
    Accept Christ as your Saviour today, and you'll never look back.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html
    Unlike Lot's wife amiright?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been maintaining an agnostic approach to religion for years now because I came to the conclusion that if there is something, a God of some sort, then I wouldn't have the capacity to understand it. However I find this very frustrating. I'd love to believe in something that I could rely on and pray or meditate to for help and thanks but I honestly don't know which religion best suits me or if I could even comprehend 'something'. I've reached breaking point now to the point where I took a test last night to be told I am:
    100% agnostic
    90% satanic
    55% pagan
    40% christian
    All of the other major world religions were on there (but I noticed Sikhism wasn't?) but those were the percentages that stuck in my head. My mum was pagan and is soon to be baptized as a born again christian after 'finding God' and my dad is a devout roman catholic, I've gone to catholic schools my whole life and attended both catholic churches and pagan festivals. Now I don't actively worship or practice either but I have practiced in both religions growing up and was shocked to be so highly suited to satanism! and so unsuited to Christianity and paganism.
    I'm just so very confused. I take philosophy and ethics of religion as an A level (which has only confused me further) and I plan to take a theology degree out of interest, not faith.
    To be fair, I do over think a lot because I'm a natural thinker. I want to be a novelist so I contemplate a lot of issues when I write shorter stories and it can almost drive me to not sleep for a whole night.
    Do you think I should talk to someone? Maybe my mum's pastor or my dad's priest?
    All religions are bogus, what's there to be confused about?
    • 1 follower

Have a look at this: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php, more specifically the links under 'Starting points'.

If you still feel like you 'want to be a theist' then may I suggest you obtain a roulette wheel and a labelmaker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't trust any test that told me I could be 285% percent something
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    100% agnostic
    90% satanic
    55% pagan
    40% christian
    What test did you take?
    I wanna take it tooo
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittythecat)
    What test did you take?
    I wanna take it tooo
    I have no idea sorry :') I tried looking for it again for you and couldn't find it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by norton1)
    unlike lot's wife amiright?
    hahahahahahahahaa!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luminique)
    i recommend watching these, since Islam wasn't on your list
    It was on the list, I just don't remember the percentage it gave me I'll watch them, thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Going to talk to priest= ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't need religion.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to label yourself. Continue searching if you want to do that. There's no rush to define your belief(s) to anyone. It's ok not knowing

It might take you a while but it'll mean more when you decide for yourself

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 29, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.