Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much cash to take to an 18th

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've got an 18th in a pub tonight. It's my mates(Not a close mate, is a card and a bottle of davidoff cool water acceptable?)

Anyway, I dunno how much money I should take.

I'm gonna try and drink a couple of beers beforehand to freshen up and I don't want to get overly hungover as I have work tomorrow afternoon. I'm not really used to binge drinking anymore than a few beers to be honest, but at the same time I do really want to get steaming as I'm incredibly stressed from exams and need a wee release.

Bear in mind that I'm only 17 so might need a bit extra cash to bribe people to order drinks for me.

Advice would be well appreciated, thanks.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just take £20 and a debit card in case that's not enough?

PS genuinely thought you were going to take your friend some bottled water for a moment there :lolwut: It might be best to give the presents to him before he leaves his house / after today. I presume that he's going to a club afterwards, so the chances of him wanting to carry a bunch of presents around a club are somewhat slim.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    £10 should cover the cola you'll be drinking.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Just take £20 and a debit card in case that's not enough?

PS genuinely thought you were going to take your friend some bottled water for a moment there :lolwut: It might be best to give the presents to him before he leaves his house / after today. I presume that he's going to a club afterwards, so the chances of him wanting to carry a bunch of presents around a club are somewhat slim.
    Pfft, I'm not all that bothered.

His family will be there so I assume they'll take presents home, I'm not seeing him beforehand anyway so that's out.

Maybe he'll go up Stirling but that depends when the party ends I guess.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    £10 should cover the cola you'll be drinking.
    I'm not going to be drinking coke at an 18th
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    £20 should be fine, maybe £30 to be safe or if you'll need to take a taxi home. If you're not used to drinking you'll need to drink less to get drunk.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    £20 should be fine, maybe £30 to be safe or if you'll need to take a taxi home. If you're not used to drinking you'll need to drink less to get drunk.
    I'm cool for transport, my mum is giving me a lift and my best mates mum is bringing us home.

Better take 30 incase I start buying all the girls and the birthday lad drinks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No cash.
    Take a gun dude! People always get served when they have a gun!!
    Have you never seen the old western films
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    I'm cool for transport, my mum is giving me a lift and my best mates mum is bringing us home.

The girls will all be swooning over you mate after you offer to buy them some Coke and a ride home in your mum's car.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm sure the girls and the birthday lad will love a lemonade
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I'm sure the girls and the birthday lad will love a lemonade
    Yeah fair point. Least I have a great excuse for not paying for anyone else's drink.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fair point. Least I have a great excuse for not paying for anyone else's drink.
    That's why I love the fact I'm not 18 until July, after almost all my friends
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Orange juice for you pal.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    That's why I love the fact I'm not 18 until July, after almost all my friends
    I'm not 18 till January but the majority of my group will be 18 between kind of July and October.

This guy is one of the oldest, but there's like 60 or so people going and this pub doesn't normally ask for ID.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    Orange juice for you pal.
    Not quite how the world works, but you're a fellow Gooner so life's good.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    This guy is one of the oldest, but there's like 60 or so people going and this pub doesn't normally ask for ID.
    In my experience, a small number is usually fine. 60 or so people might have trouble getting beers in though.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, a small number is usually fine. 60 or so people might have trouble getting beers in though.
    What do you mean? There's a bar.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? There's a bar.
    When a few of us back in the day would go to a pub under age we'd usually get served. If there was a massive group, not so likely. We'd usually stagger our arrivals to get round this...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    When a few of us back in the day would go to a pub under age we'd usually get served. If there was a massive group, not so likely. We'd usually stagger our arrivals to get round this...
    Yeah but with it being a function it will surely be slightly different?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but with it being a function it will surely be slightly different?
    Ah, now you never said that!

Could go either way with that one. Assuming it's just you lot there, so long as there's an adult there, you should be fine really.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.