The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2012 <strong><font

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hi Mr M, the core 2 Paper i had (3+2x)^5 - (3-2x)^5, but the paper uploaded by someone else has had (3+2x)^5 +(3-2x)^5. there has also been several people who have had the "-" instead of the "+", and im sure there must be a typo error in some of the papers, because i defiantly saw a "-" sign, so did my friends. Could this be a typo error?
Original post by Tripzy
Mr M I Had the right answers for number 7 but i put them into decimals not as you stated would i still get the marks?

You won't get all the marks and you won't get ANY marks if you found these values using the trig functions on your calculator.
Original post by pilotjack
Wow that's lucky. I completely forgot the equation to work this out so I just guessed 10. Then I decided 10 was too low and put 20.

I went back later in the paper and decided that 20 was too high, and settled with 15!

Will I still get 2 marks since I got the right answer? Even though there is no working out?

yes
Reply 183
Original post by tahseen1995
Mr M, for Question 7(a), for part (i) I just did Inverse Tan of 2/5 and then found the cosine of that, and put it down in decimal (correct but not the exact value). Did the same thing for part (ii) but found the obtuse angle of course. So both my answers were in decimal and not exact form. How many marks will I drop for that??? Thanks

mr. m, can you answer this question?

also, how many marks would i lose for just saying y < 2, derived from just n < 1 for sum to infinity limit
Original post by cantthinkofone
for questio 7 if you got the right answer but didnt use the method which will probably be on the markscheme ( the traingle one) would you still get the marks? i ended up using sin^2 +cos ^2 =1 and then devided by cos^2 and did a whole bunch of other stuff :/

sounds fine
Original post by samjj8
Mr M, on question 7ai) I left it as 5/root29. Would I loose a mark for not writing it in standard form?

that is ok
Original post by ninuzu
For question 7 I put the answer in decimal form, correct to three significant figures. Would that mean that I get no marks?

You won't get ALL the marks, you might get some marks if the method was right (by this I mean you used your knowledge of trig rather than the buttons on your calc).
Original post by Richyp22
What about reoccuring sequence of o.5 and 4, thats what I put would I get "reoccuring"

also for 0.5<x<2 would I have got any marks for x>2 because i calculated that it needed 2 correctly but did put it the right way around

'Reoccuring' isn't a word so I don't think you will get a mark here.

You won't get a mark for x>2 - sorry!
Original post by joemkcarr
What was the technique for doing question 7 part A?

Many ways but drawing a right-angled triangle and labelling the sides Opposite and Adjacent and then calculating the Hypotenuse is probably quickest.
Original post by 8xNinjax8
Hi Mr M,

For the question that asked us to find the values of y for which the GP was valid, I put the modulus of y is less than something...I can't remember exactly what the number was but is there a correct version of the answer involving a modulus sign?

Thanks!

No, not after it has been manipulated.
Original post by 777edr777
Mr M did qu 6iii) have to be an exact value? I wrote 208/3 BUT then wrote the decimal version next to it and underlined it :frown: do you think I'd get the mark??

It has to be an exact value but if that is written somewhere on the page you will be fine.
[QUOTE="Chocoholic1994Asks;37616348"]
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2012

7. (a) (i) 52929\frac{5 \sqrt{29}}{29} (2 marks)

(ii) 2107\frac{-2\sqrt{10}}{7} (3 marks)

Hi Mr M

Thank again for the mark scheme!
I got
7ai) 5 divided by root 29
ii) 2 root 10 divided by 7 (no minus)

So so you know if these will be marked correct?

Thanks again :smile:

7ai) is fine

drop one mark for part ii)
Original post by h2shin
For the ratio one, will 0<y<2 get 1 mark?

also what do you think the marks for 100ums would be?

1 mark and no idea
Original post by max25
MR M PLEASE HELP. for question three i STUPIDLY did not read the pie after 45, but all the rest of my working was correct. So how many marks will i lose for question three? Also for question 7 I left my answers unsimplified but they were correct, so do i loose marks? THANKS

Drop 1 mark for the misread. Unsimplified is fine for 7.
The question paper (not mine)

C2 Jun12 (1).jpegC2 Jun12 (2).jpeg
Original post by Fresh_Prince_TS
damn i did the exact same.
For q3 i didn't read the pi part which means i got 3ii wrong too.
q7 also, I did all of my answers in decimal form instead of surd form.
I think mr m has stopped responding, so i guess we'll all have to wait till august

I was working!

If a question says give "exact answers" decimals are not sufficient.
Original post by kenann
Q4) solve 4cos^2+7sinx-7=0, between 0 and 360

4(1 - (sinx)^2 ) + 7sinx - 7

= - 4sinx^2 + 7sinx - 3 = 0

4sinx^2 - 7sinx + 3 = 0

(4sinx - 3) (sinx - 1) = 0

therefore sinx = 3/4 and 1

sin^-1(3/4) = 48.6 and (180 - 48.6)

sin^-1(1) = 90

therefore, x = 48.6, 90 and 131.4

How many marks would I get if I only did this much? Just 1 1? Totally blanked out afterwards, seems so easy in hindsight :frown:
Original post by cameron95
for question 4, i got to; -4sin²(x) + 7sin(x) - 3 =0, but I stupidly missed out a negative sign using the quadratic formula, so i got sin(x) = -1,-3/4 , not 1 and 3/4. Obviously I got the wrong answers, but how many marks would i have lost as i had the correct method?

Other than that it was quite a good paper. the only thing that caught me out was Q7.

probably drop 2 marks
Original post by Helloworld_95
For all of question 7a), if you do inverse trig functions then cos x to get a decimal and for 7b) if you do sin60/8 x 6 to get a decimal, where in all of these circumstances the decimal is equal to your answers, will you still get the marks?

no marks for that - sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending