Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sushi - will it survive a train journey??

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically the clue's in the title, I'm trying to make my soy-allergy-suffering boyfriend soy free sushi for his birthday. Only trouble is, we live in different counties so it'd have to travel.
    Everything I've read says that freezing/chilling sushi is a bad idea but I was wondering if there was any way I could take it on 2 trains and a tube without ruining it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like the greatest idea but I'm no expert. Can you not make it at his, and teach him how as well, like a sushi masterclass?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Put it in tupperware, keep it upright and it'll be fine - I've done it myself with no ill effects, even transporting some soy sauce in a water bottle!

And yes - freezing sushi is a spectacularly bad idea (the grandparents did this once - and defrosted it in the microwave afterwards!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends. If it contains raw fish then I wouldn't try. Raw meat and fish spoil extremely quickly especially if it's warm, like in your bag. Food poisoning is NOT fun.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, that very much depends on what would constitute 'survival': if you mean, "Will it spoil?" Then my answer would be, "Yes, quite possibly"; if you mean, "Can I repatriate it to the briny depths?" Then alas, I fear that particular ship may already have sailed.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da CorrupteD KiD)
    Depends. If it contains raw fish then I wouldn't try. Raw meat and fish spoil extremely quickly especially if it's warm, like in your bag. Food poisoning is NOT fun.
    Quite impressed with the start of your blog. I've also put it off for ages but your macarons look awesome and you know what you're talking about.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    it'll be fine, ive taken sushi on a school trip to france for lunch once

if you're really worried about it, freeze some juice boxes and use them to keep the sushi cool in transit, and you'll also have a cold drink when you get there
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to second that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Quite impressed with the start of your blog. I've also put it off for ages but your macarons look awesome and you know what you're talking about.
    That's so nice of you! I had an obsession with making macarons during the peak of my dissertation writeup, for obvious reasons. Having made them so many times, however, I must say those french confectioneries are really temperamental (totally live up to their notorious reputation) even small factors like the weather can change the outcome.

Have you got a baking blog as well that I can pay a visit to?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    I'd like to second that.
    Learned that the hard way. I've got IBS so my bowels are hyper-sensitive to anything and everything.
    • 78 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, how long is the "2 trains and a tube"? That could mean anything! And when are you going? A hot day would be bad. But if you're going to put it in a cool bag with some ice blocks for a short time and be careful not to shake it up it may be ok.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's so nice of you! I had an obsession with making macarons during the peak of my dissertation writeup, for obvious reasons. Having made them so many times, however, I must say those french confectioneries are really temperamental (totally live up to their notorious reputation) even small factors like the weather can change the outcome.

Have you got a baking blog as well that I can pay a visit to?
    No, I'm quite lazy.

I will get one sorted eventually as I have pics lying around from various attempts at things!

I haven't made macarons yet but for you to have mastered them shows real skill.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    No, I'm quite lazy.

I will get one sorted eventually as I have pics lying around from various attempts at things!

I haven't made macarons yet but for you to have mastered them shows real skill.
    It does take a lot of effort to start a blog but it's even more difficult to get people to read it! But then it's always nice to have someone giving kind comments like you. Macarons are so fun to make once you get the hang of it. I suppose the thrill is even greater for female bakers since they are so colourful and...pink.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a bit risky, especially in the summer.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.