Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chocolate - no sugar on label!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to find out which out of the major chocolate bar brands offers chocolate with the least amount of sugar per 100g (Cadburys, Galaxy, Thorntons, Divine, etc).
    It seems that most brands do not even include the sugar content on the bars' nutritional information or even on their website, making it extremely hard for me to find out!

Can anyone help me out here? Is there somewhere I can look that compares different chocolate's nutritional information?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It should tell you on the individual bar in question. There's no set amount of each brand as they'll each have different recipes. Look at the back of packs in the supermarket and it should give you the amounts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyliesel)
    It should tell you on the individual bar in question. There's no set amount of each brand as they'll each have different recipes. Look at the back of packs in the supermarket and it should give you the amounts.
    Yes but many chocolate bar companies leave out the sugar content which I think is so misleading!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like many companies that leave out the saturated fat levels.

I've always seen them on there for things like Cadbury :/. Try looking for the little writing. It should say how much there is per 100g. You'll have to work it out. I remember seeing it on a Thornton's vanilla fudge bar so I know it is there if you check.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    All brands tell you the sugar content/carbohydrates, most of them do it in the small print at the back though, to disguise the truth. You can get diabetic chocolate though, which has negligible levels of sugar.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digital_Love)
    Yes but many chocolate bar companies leave out the sugar content which I think is so misleading!!
    No they don't - it's on the packaging
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digital_Love)
    Every chocolate bar i've ever had has the amount of sugar on it, you're probably just not looking properly or in the right place.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JongKey)
    Every chocolate bar i've ever had has the amount of sugar on it, you're probably just not looking properly or in the right place.
    It seemed odd that it wouldn't be on the bar of all places. Maybe not on their website but I'm sure it's the law for nutritional values to be there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to find "healthy chocolate" Just eat less chocolate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyliesel)
    It seemed odd that it wouldn't be on the bar of all places. Maybe not on their website but I'm sure it's the law for nutritional values to be there.
    Yeah it's right on the front of every chocolate bar i've ever had, alongside all the RDA etc.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talking about chocs; I had a Kit-Kat just now and it was incredibly sweet! :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Carbohydrates, of which sugars...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every chocolate bar I've looked at the nutritional information includes the sat fat content and sugars. Sometimes I've seen things only list carbohydrates, but there's a pretty good chance that the vast majority of carbohydrates in a chocolate bar are sugars. I have an empty Galaxy wrapper here which says 54.7g/100g carbohydrates of which 51.9g is sugar.

Based on that it would be fair to say that ~50% of chocolate will be sugar, though I think American style 'chocolate' will be much higher and dark chocolate perhaps lower.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Every chocolate bar I've looked at the nutritional information includes the sat fat content and sugars. Sometimes I've seen things only list carbohydrates, but there's a pretty good chance that the vast majority of carbohydrates in a chocolate bar are sugars. I have an empty Galaxy wrapper here which says 54.7g/100g carbohydrates of which 51.9g is sugar.
    THANK YOU, when I buy a bar of Galaxy, it isn't on the back or anywhere... but maybe it tells you on the big bars.

I just have to find out for Thorntons, Divine and Lindt now

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.