The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS GeographyUnit 1: Global Challenges

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Sadsnail
Sorry I've been in hospital and therefore couldn't get back to you sooner!!!

I personally probably wouldn't choose that question.. However, if I did answer it I would answer.... ummm just off the top of my head here :biggrin:

The main answer would be is because it's within the megacity that the economic opportunities are e.g. jobs and people can earn a much better living working within the megacity than they can working in rural areas

So you can talking about;

urbanisation - people are moving into the megacity for a better paid job, they are willing to leave their families for this (usually) because of the lack of housing within the megacity and send money back. Sometimes they do bring their family though.

You can also talk about slums and the general information you know about megacities. So the lack of sanitation etc.

rural-urban migration - they are much less job opportunities in rural areas. There is a switch between subsistence farming to the *fairly* recent job opportunities from TNC investment within countries for jobs.

People want a better quality of life. Subsistence farming is very basic and just provides food for the family and not much else. A job within a megacity allows the money to be sent back home for the children to perhaps have an education, for healthcare food etc.

And then bring in some possible megacity case studies e.g.

Mumbai
Tokyo
Mexico City
Etc

As a general guideline, if you have 6 case studies and write 3 sentences on each that is perfect... (if you want it to be perfect...)

Hope I made sense :s

A big part is the recent investments of TNC's and the ability of infrastructure for this to be possible. For example there are lots of call centres in Mumbai, and it's cheaper to divert the call to mumbai from the uk including service that it would be to have a call centre based within the UK. Also the development of internet. And transport routes so imports by plane etc...

Thank you. :smile: I've done a lot of revision. But I don't know about writing that much for the essay questions LOL. I write about 2 and a half sides and THATS IT haha.
Reply 61
Original post by Kardy
Thank you. :smile: I've done a lot of revision. But I don't know about writing that much for the essay questions LOL. I write about 2 and a half sides and THATS IT haha.

I just write incredibly fast, I am a bit of a freak .. .haha :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Sadsnail
I seriously can't remember case studies. What AS books do you have? Go through all the topics and do a revision card on each one :smile:

erm ive got a black one with a fish on the front lol, it says AS Geography for edexcel, and another one which is blue and red, and thats Edexcel AS Geography, and they both have like 1000 case studies in them, so not sure which ones to do...
I have hit a revision wall, I'm revising things that I don't even think are relevant anymore!?
I feel like I haven't learnt as much as you guys? like for the 15 markers I write about 2/3 pages? and that's only if I know the answer!
I'm just hoping that a good Section B comes up, and that i can answer all the 5 markers in Section A - that's where i struggle the most, answering the medium sized questions (weird...I know) :')
Original post by wylk
10 mark questions you write about a page and a half to determine some marks on structure.
15 mark questions - write about 2 pages maybe 2 pages and a bit if you have time

Covering points really depends on the question. If it was a question on "Explain the natural causes of climate change" which would be a 15 mark question you would cover maybe 6-7 points and explain them well with LOTS of examples

Questions like "Explain long term short term etcetc to determine climate change" you would make a point and then explain at length and how reliable it is (paragraph for each point) conclusion has to tie every point together

Regarding facts/stats...Just throw them in whenever you can and as frequently as you can. The more the better, seriously.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 65
I'm resitting this from last year, I managed to get 92/120 I think, but went and got a D in unit 3. I'd never touch unit 3 again so decided to do this one!

Try to do your best for this one guys, unit 3 is a killer!

Anyway, what I've found with this exam is that the mark scheme is extremely wishy-washy, some of the points on there are stupid, I don't see how they expect you to get them.

Just make sure you exemplify your answers, you can pick up 2 or 3 marks from one point that way. Examples also greatly help, just saying "For example Los Angeles" can net you another mark, even if your original point was nothing amazing. For that reason, I'd recommend using an example whenever you can throw one in, a figure as well if you know one.

As for the more essay style questions, I've found that having 30-40 minutes left before reaching them is good going, then you can blitz them after you have found the question you are going to do. Introductions don't have to be much. I usually explain key words in the question and then state the points I'm going to make. As for conclusions, make sure you link back to your original points and then end with something like what could happen in the future.

Good luck guys :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
I am all over the place lol. Going to watch this thread I'm sure there will be a few midnight revisers.. I don't even know what time the exam is! :frown:

Think it's in the afternoon but I can't find my frigging sheet! Argh!!
Would examiners still give a mark if a numerical statistic is wrong?
Reply 68
Original post by lettucesoap
Would examiners still give a mark if a numerical statistic is wrong?

If you are not sure, I'd say the best bet is to round it to something you are sure about. I'm sure if a figure was 289'876 and you said around 290,000 they'd be okay with it :smile:
Original post by The Umpire
I am all over the place lol. Going to watch this thread I'm sure there will be a few midnight revisers.. I don't even know what time the exam is! :frown:

Think it's in the afternoon but I can't find my frigging sheet! Argh!!

Yup, afternoon exam :smile:
I've found some really good quick videos on BBC. Just search earthquakes and I got a couple of videos (about 3-5minutes) about San Aldreas fault and about the Arctic. Good luck to everyone tomorrow :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Mocking_bird
Yup, afternoon exam :smile:

That makes me feel a WHOLE lot better :smile:

What time is yours?
That makes me feel a WHOLE lot better :smile:

What time is yours?

1.30 :smile:
2 exams tomorrow, going to be a long day. :lol:
Reply 73
Original post by jamie_t361
I'm resitting this from last year, I managed to get 92/120 I think, but went and got a D in unit 3. I'd never touch unit 3 again so decided to do this one!

Try to do your best for this one guys, unit 3 is a killer!

Anyway, what I've found with this exam is that the mark scheme is extremely wishy-washy, some of the points on there are stupid, I don't see how they expect you to get them.

Just make sure you exemplify your answers, you can pick up 2 or 3 marks from one point that way. Examples also greatly help, just saying "For example Los Angeles" can net you another mark, even if your original point was nothing amazing. For that reason, I'd recommend using an example whenever you can throw one in, a figure as well if you know one.

As for the more essay style questions, I've found that having 30-40 minutes left before reaching them is good going, then you can blitz them after you have found the question you are going to do. Introductions don't have to be much. I usually explain key words in the question and then state the points I'm going to make. As for conclusions, make sure you link back to your original points and then end with something like what could happen in the future.

Good luck guys :smile:

What sort of thing is good for a conclusion? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 74
1.30 :smile:
2 exams tomorrow, going to be a long day. :lol:

Well, best of luck Madame!
Reply 75
I'm looking forward to this exam, should be really easy as it's common knowledge and putting as many points down, hopefully I'll leave with 90% + or something, fingers cross.
Well, best of luck Madame!

& good luck to you too :smile:

Original post by Kyuu
I'm looking forward to this exam, should be really easy as it's common knowledge and putting as many points down, hopefully I'll leave with 90% + or something, fingers cross.

Exactly how I feel..
Except the neg parade came my way for it :lol:
Reply 77
& good luck to you too :smile:

Exactly how I feel..
Except the neg parade came my way for it :lol:

Lool, it's a really easy exam though, compared to Unit 3 and 4 LOLOL, basically GCSE work where all you need is common knowledge, I don't get why people are remembering figures like I don't know.. 50 cars washed away at sea.. it isn't really relevent.. I'm only doing it because I believe I can get 90% + compared to my low A before in AS.
Original post by Kyuu
Lool, it's a really easy exam though, compared to Unit 3 and 4 LOLOL, basically GCSE work where all you need is common knowledge, I don't get why people are remembering figures like I don't know.. 50 cars washed away at sea.. it isn't really relevent.. I'm only doing it because I believe I can get 90% + compared to my low A before in AS.

Thats what I was wondering too :lol:
I don't really quote that many statistics/figures and still only dropped 3 marks in the mock so I don't really see how its that necessary.

Anyway, i'm off to bed, good luck for tomorrow! :smile:
oh wow - you guys seem to find this all so easy! why am I struggling so much?
it's the short answers ones that I get stuck on, like the 5 markers? it's as if you have to have five points, and the mark scheme is ridiculously vague/wishy-washy with the marking so that I can't get marks?
I don't know, that's just my view - the chances of me passing this are very slim, despite the fact that I've been revising for ages now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending