The Student Room Group

Pretty sure i just failed my economics EC1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roshniroxy
I pretty much feel like dying in a hole after each of my exams this year. I don't know this year isn't good, or my new schools exam hall is pure bad luck but each of my exams has gone terrible :frown:

Aaah same i agree :mad:, none of my exams have been good either can't do anything about it now other than hope for eveyrthing to b ok. Sometimes i feel like committing suicide , A-Levels are truly so difficult. :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by Tanomc
It was harder then previous years. I found the last one hard, my teacher said it as supposed to be an A2 question. I think overall for an A you will need 32/50. Just my guess.

Are you talking about the WJEC exam board?
Reply 22
Original post by jade456
Are you talking about the WJEC exam board?

mhm ... they have usually been around 33/50 ... look at the examiners reports.
Original post by jade456
Oh no :frown: I think today i was destined for failure, couldn't find my watch, spilt over a glass of water; whilst waiting outside the exam room, a kid got beat up by the vending machines which slightly uneased my 'calm pre-exam attitude', sigh...

:frown:
Reply 24
Original post by Tanomc
mhm ... they have usually been around 33/50 ... look at the examiners reports.

Your obviously referring to once the EC1 and EC2 marks are being combined right? 33/50 alone seems devastatingly low 0.e haha But yeah that last question is what got me. I'd have been fine with that question without the mention of 'trade defecit' totally misunderstood the term..
Original post by DeepDarkSecrets
Aaah same i agree :mad:, none of my exams have been good either can't do anything about it now other than hope for eveyrthing to b ok. Sometimes i feel like committing suicide , A-Levels are truly so difficult. :frown:

It's me, or just this month, or year, or week but it all cycles back to me. Could've tried harder, could've wrote faster, could've prepare more. Urgh.

All I've done after each exam is sit there like a depressed freak and watch Grey's Anatomy.

I'm sure you've done fine though :smile:
Original post by jade456
Haha yeah, i was just about to say; it's WJEC. But thankyou, this is all still very encouraging; i think my problem is the terms. I misunderstood the term 'trade defecit' and spoke about a budget defecit all the way through an 8 mark question, which is ridiculously stupid. I also couldn't decide whether an interest rate increase on a mortgage was a good or bath thing, which again.. pretty dull. And in regards to the importance of exams; to me they are more than just exams, I've been in college now for almost 3 years, I'll be turning 19 and in classes full of 16 year old (which isn't bad) but i could be in uni actually progressing with my life rather than being stuck in a time-bubble of failure and futile attempts at academia.. wow sorry.. slight breakdown. But thanks for your reply..

If the interest rate increases, you have to pay more if you take out a loan (mortgage), hence it isn't a good thing. However, if you have money saved in the bank, an increase in the interest rate means you receive more interest from the bank which is a good thing.

Just have to break it down, becomes easier.

The trade deficit is a pretty big error, however every year thousands of students make that mistake. If you think about it, trade involves buying and selling, exports and imports. A budget however, is something completely different. I think if you do things like pay attention more to the news, it will also become easier.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
If you're in AS, then there are always retakes in january but you need to focus on EC2 now :smile: got C first time round in EC1 and 78/80 in January retakes, focus on EC2 next week!
Reply 28
Original post by jade456
Your obviously referring to once the EC1 and EC2 marks are being combined right? 33/50 alone seems devastatingly low 0.e haha But yeah that last question is what got me. I'd have been fine with that question without the mention of 'trade defecit' totally misunderstood the term..

No just EC1 paper. Then you have EC2 paper which is usually 50 or 55/80. Then to join them together you have to weight them ... I think EC2 is worth 70%, actually I don't know the weightings.

I have no idea why they are so low. Either students are not capable or because WJEC is only A-level and not GCSE so they think that you're learning everything for the first time so they put boundaries down. OR they mark really harshly. Time will tell.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/15810.pdf
Reply 29
Original post by gymrat
If you're in AS, then there are always retakes in january but you need to focus on EC2 now :smile: got C first time round in EC1 and 78/80 in January retakes, focus on EC2 next week!

Do they tell you the marks you get or just the percentage and grade?
Reply 30
Original post by Tanomc
Do they tell you the marks you get or just the percentage and grade?

On results day, you'll get it in UMS, for 78/80, I got something like 42/50 in the exam.
Reply 31
Original post by gymrat

Thank you so much for this. :smile: Could you give me any pointers for EC2?
Reply 32
Original post by gymrat
On results day, you'll get it in UMS, for 78/80, I got something like 42/50 in the exam.

Hmmm, I don't understand. How do you get UMS? So you got 98% when in reality you only got 84%
Reply 33
Original post by Tanomc
No just EC1 paper. Then you have EC2 paper which is usually 50 or 55/80. Then to join them together you have to weight them ... I think EC2 is worth 70%, actually I don't know the weightings.

I have no idea why they are so low. Either students are not capable or because WJEC is only A-level and not GCSE so they think that you're learning everything for the first time so they put boundaries down. OR they mark really harshly. Time will tell.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/15810.pdf

ooh, very useful! thanks for this!! :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Tanomc
At A-level , your future depends on exams. If you resit... cant get into any good universities, cant 'get anywhere in life'. Same goes with failing the exams.

Original post by jade456
Haha yeah, i was just about to say; it's WJEC. But thankyou, this is all still very encouraging; i think my problem is the terms. I misunderstood the term 'trade defecit' and spoke about a budget defecit all the way through an 8 mark question, which is ridiculously stupid. I also couldn't decide whether an interest rate increase on a mortgage was a good or bath thing, which again.. pretty dull. And in regards to the importance of exams; to me they are more than just exams, I've been in college now for almost 3 years, I'll be turning 19 and in classes full of 16 year old (which isn't bad) but i could be in uni actually progressing with my life rather than being stuck in a time-bubble of failure and futile attempts at academia.. wow sorry.. slight breakdown. But thanks for your reply..

We tie so much importance on getting into university too I reckon.

OP, I don't know what it is you want to do in life, perhaps that economics A-level is very important for what it is you want to do. I just think that people make this assumption that if we do badly in exams, we have no future. Like the only thing we can do is go to university.
Reply 35
Original post by Pride

OP, I don't know what it is you want to do in life, perhaps that economics A-level is very important for what it is you want to do. I just think that people make this assumption that if we do badly in exams, we have no future. Like the only thing we can do is go to university.

True but that's the way society is going and my prediction is that in the future there will be more and more competition for the grades... we are just at the beginning. For example, I don't want to go university, I would rather focus on a business but my parents would totally disprove of me if I told them this. It seams like those who graduate from a respectable university seam to always get the best future. And those that dont go to uni are frowned upon as failures.
Reply 36
Original post by Pride

No i'm not going to be doing economics in university, but i only took 3 A levels, and the requirements i need are AAB, so i need to do well in all my subjects. There are other ways to get a good job in life, but university is a very 'safe' option, it provides you with a guarantee, almost. Or at least, a feeling of security and self-assurance. Other options may depend on luck of the draw, good people skills, technical skills, or talents such as signing, dancing, or art. Of which i have none. Haha. Therefore, I tie an awful lot of importance to university.
Reply 37
Original post by jade456
No i'm not going to be doing economics in university, but i only took 3 A levels, and the requirements i need are AAB, so i need to do well in all my subjects. There are other ways to get a good job in life, but university is a very 'safe' option, it provides you with a guarantee, almost. Or at least, a feeling of security and self-assurance. Other options may depend on luck of the draw, good people skills, technical skills, or talents such as signing, dancing, or art. Of which i have none. Haha. Therefore, I tie an awful lot of importance to university.

if you've received an offer as high as AAB, you must be pretty bright. Why are you panicking and moaning about how you're not good enough then? how you think you've failed, and you want to die in a hole :blah:

stop moaning, pull yourself together and do better next time.
Reply 38
Original post by Tanomc
Hmmm, I don't understand. How do you get UMS? So you got 98% when in reality you only got 84%

UMS is the scaled raw mark. It depends how everybody else did.
Reply 39
Original post by . .
UMS is the scaled raw mark. It depends how everybody else did.

So he got 96% overall for his EC1 and this is just from getting 42/50 on the exam day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending