The Student Room Group

Aqa info 3 - 12/06/2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jaketoon93
Hey, I was really nervous for this exam but my revision really paid off in the end.

I read the entire booklet of questions and then did the pre released material first.

Once that was out the way I got the 20 marker out of the way then worked my way backwards and ended up with 10 minutes to spare and check through the paper.

Looking back though I think I will have missed marks in the 20 marker because do you know how it said we had to mention the effect on organisations? Well I did but I think I mentioned the wrong things. I think the other points I put down were suitable though (Luckily topic one was the last topic I had revised)

I’m hoping I did well in this as I need to get a B in it to get into uni.

How did everyone else’s course work go anyway? Mine was terrible :P

My coursework went so bad! I was gutted. I need a B too to get into uni. i'm quite nervous!
Reply 241
This was a very frustrating exam. It was actually a decent exam but I had an exam clash with economics which left me flustered. Saying that I did have 35 minutes left for the last 20 mark question. I'm worried I completely deviated from the actual question and started talking about how quickly technology is developing with Blackberry’s and QR codes reaching the end of their cycle. From there I ended up going onto a tangent on how Organisations may end up over monitoring their staff and ending up like big brother.

The other annoying question I believe was the one on the phased/ direction changeover methods. There was too many marks for so little points :frown:.

Glad A level ICT is now over for good :biggrin:.
Reply 242
How did everyone's coursework go and when did you guys complete it?
Reply 243
Original post by Cabyo

i got a C, i was trying to aim at B. i think they were harsh in the marks this year
Reply 244
Original post by Cabyo

I got a B, one mark away from an A :frown:

Ah well, A-level ICT- Never again! :biggrin:
Reply 245
Ah, does anyone know if I could get an A this year? Last year I got a C and a D, with an overall C, this year I got an A for the coursework, could I still an an A overall? Or is it going to be just a B (providing I get an A).

We were really messed about this year, we haven't had a proper ICT teacher for about 2/ 3 months!

And yea, never again! I think the spec is pretty much IT management rather that ICT! + I thought the marking criteria was pretty easy this year? Did everyone do databases?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by `Pablo
It really confused me and threw me off the first question, I wrote about due to the outsourcing it could have contradicted the data protection act due to having to share customer information which could be problematic (probably not correct but I was struggling to even think of anything so that's what I went with). Luckily I strode proudly through the rest!

Totally agree. Legislation and the DPA is what I talked about in question 1

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Cabyo
Ah, does anyone know if I could get an A this year? Last year I got a C and a D, with an overall C, this year I got an A for the coursework, could I still an an A overall? Or is it going to be just a B (providing I get an A).

We were really messed about this year, we haven't had a proper ICT teacher for about 2/ 3 months!

And yea, never again! I think the spec is pretty much IT management rather that ICT! + I thought the marking criteria was pretty easy this year? Did everyone do databases?

I got an A and a D last year making me a B overall. That was completely unexpected.

But like you we were also completely messed about with our projects. We had hardly any supports from either of our ict teachers and was just expected to get on with it. One of our teachers usually went off about economics rather than ict which was a bit annoying.

I ended up with a C over all for my project and did a booking website. Just really hoping the moderator doesn't change my marks or my B for A2 is out the window.

Another joke was over a two week period we had 10 ict lesson only which 5 of we had teachers for. The other 5 wa "independent study" and we had to teach or selves. Half te topics in the book wasn't even covered in class.

All in all it was an extremely poorly ran course and if it wasn't for my self ten I don't think I would have passed based on the teachers input.

Rant over... Never have to do ict again!!!

Reply 248
Original post by Jaketoon93
I got an A and a D last year making me a B overall. That was completely unexpected.

But like you we were also completely messed about with our projects. We had hardly any supports from either of our ict teachers and was just expected to get on with it. One of our teachers usually went off about economics rather than ict which was a bit annoying.

I ended up with a C over all for my project and did a booking website. Just really hoping the moderator doesn't change my marks or my B for A2 is out the window.

Another joke was over a two week period we had 10 ict lesson only which 5 of we had teachers for. The other 5 wa "independent study" and we had to teach or selves. Half te topics in the book wasn't even covered in class.

All in all it was an extremely poorly ran course and if it wasn't for my self ten I don't think I would have passed based on the teachers input.

Rant over... Never have to do ict again!!!

How strange, our teacher also taught us Economics (until she left), I've noticed a lot of ICT teachers tend to teach Economics. It's really frustrating to be messed about in a crucial year! I assume you're trying to get a B?
Reply 249
I got an A* for the coursework, an A for info2 and a B for info1. I resat info1 so hopefully the exam went okay!

I still don't know how to answer that legacy question - how bad!!
Original post by Cabyo
How strange, our teacher also taught us Economics (until she left), I've noticed a lot of ICT teachers tend to teach Economics. It's really frustrating to be messed about in a crucial year! I assume you're trying to get a B?

Yeah trying to get a B. I think it's possible

how did people get on with this?

Original post by GeeGaryJunior
how did people get on with this?

I got a b I was 11 ums marks off an A
I got an A in unit 3 but a C in coursework.
How did you do?
Original post by zabamgboye1
I got a b I was 11 ums marks off an A
I got an A in unit 3 but a C in coursework.
How did you do?

i got an E in the coursework lol and couldn't be bothered to redo it so need like 108 ums to get B overall which is what i needed. didn't think i could do that but ended up getting 120/120 ums. haha don't ask me how tho.

Reply 254
What were the grade boundaries for the exam?
Reply 255
I got A* in this.

Original post by cabyo
what were the grade boundaries for the exam?

These are the RAW mark boundaries:

INFO 3 (Max: 100) - A*: 77; A: 72; B: 67; C: 62; D: 57; E: 52

INFO 4 (Max: 70) - A*: 64; A: 58; B: 51; C: 44; D: 37; E: 31

Sourced from: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2012.PDF
Reply 257
im doing the info 3 exam in Jan, i wanted to know the best method and book i could use to revise for this exam?would be really helpfull
thanks
Reply 258
Original post by jazeb
im doing the info 3 exam in Jan, i wanted to know the best method and book i could use to revise for this exam?would be really helpfull
thanks

I use the AQA A2 Nelson Thrones book and the Folens Essential ICT (links below).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1850082820/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550949829&ref=asc_df_1850082820

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Information-Communication-Technology-A2/dp/0748799087/ref=pd_sim_b_2/276-7346248-9795236

A good way to revise is to analyse the case study and then concentrate heavily on the topics that are in it. With the rest of the topics, make sure you know them all reasonably well as some will come up in the second half of the exam.
issues involved in testing large systems?

help anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending