Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how dangerous is weed?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i just wanted to know as teachers in my school are saying random crap about weed and i found some other stuff on the internet and i don't think my school is telling the truth about weed. i just wanna know how harmful it is and all the possible side effects thnx
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They don't tell you everything in school about weed. It isn't as harmful as it is made out to be.

I have a friend who started at 12 and is now 18 still smoking. When he took a break for 2 weeks he had an asthma attack.

The most notable side effect will be everything is slowed down and your mouth will feel you've never had water before.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not very.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So long as you smoke it in moderation, it isn't nearly as harmful as the law would suggest. It makes some people paranoid, but only if you smoke it fairly regularly (couple of times a week).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly dont think its any more harmful than alcohol and cigerretes. That is provided that you dont smoke any thing too strong. A friend of a friend of mine started smoking this really potent strain (sorry i forgot the name) and basically he went mad and now suffers from permanent physcological disorders. That being said, he may just be an exception as ive heard of plenty more people who occasionally smoke weed and are just fine and dandy.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not especially.

Regular usage with a history of mental health issues can exacerbate them. Smoking most stuff is bad for you (use a vaporizer).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so fresh)
    Weed is very harmful.
    But i suggest you ask a GP. Last time i spoke with one about the topic, they gave me a HUGE list of the bad effects not just physically. But mentally aswell.
    Right.

I'm not seeing much on the body harm rating here, are you?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kish667)
    i just wanted to know as teachers in my school are saying random crap about weed and i found some other stuff on the internet and i don't think my school is telling the truth about weed. i just wanna know how harmful it is and all the possible side effects thnx
    Just ask, "What about fatty foods, tobacco, and alcohol?". When compared to all human activities that pose health risks I imagine cannabis is so low down the list it's not worth bothering to contemplate. Is this secondary school classes? If so, I'm kinda disappointed that educational establishments are practicing cultural hegemony.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecup93)
    They don't tell you everything in school about weed. It isn't as harmful as it is made out to be.

I have a friend who started at 12 and is now 18 still smoking. When he took a break for 2 weeks he had an asthma attack.

The most notable side effect will be everything is slowed down and your mouth will feel you've never had water before.
    I was doing some teaching today and this came up a few times!

One member of staff recalled a situation whereby their grandmother had smoked till she was 74 and only started getting ill when she had decided to quit...

Then I was supervising two 14 year old kids, one of whom started bragging about smoking and strangely enough the other kid was telling him off! I was like "thank god, some kids have some common sense!"

The impression I got from the smoking 14 year old kid was that he did it to try and fit in with the crowd. To me that is a dangerous position to be in from the start.... Why did your mate start smoking at 12?

Does your mate also realise that, at 12 years old, the body has not fully developed and that he is damaging an otherwise natural process? Maybe that is why he had an asthma attack, because he damaged his lungs at an early age and they have developed to compensate for the intake of weed. You kinda dress up your mates issue in a sort of "well he shouldn't quit because it makes him sick if he does" light when in reality the damage has probably already been done and quitting gives his body a big shock because it has become used to it.

Perhaps your school was different but for all the friction between students and teachers the MAJORITY of teachers are good hardworking people who have the health and wellbeing of their students in mind!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)
    I was doing some teaching today and this came up a few times!

One member of staff recalled a situation whereby their grandmother had smoked till she was 74 and only started getting ill when she had decided to quit...

Then I was supervising two 14 year old kids, one of whom started bragging about smoking and strangely enough the other kid was telling him off! I was like "thank god, some kids have some common sense!"

The impression I got from the smoking 14 year old kid was that he did it to try and fit in with the crowd. To me that is a dangerous position to be in from the start.... Why did your mate start smoking at 12?

Does your mate also realise that, at 12 years old, the body has not fully developed and that he is damaging an otherwise natural process? Maybe that is why he had an asthma attack, because he damaged his lungs at an early age and they have developed to compensate for the intake of weed. You kinda dress up your mates issue in a sort of "well he shouldn't quit because it makes him sick if he does" light when in reality the damage has probably already been done and quitting gives his body a big shock because it has become used to it.

Perhaps your school was different but for all the friction between students and teachers the MAJORITY of teachers are good hardworking people who have the health and wellbeing of their students in mind!

I'm not so sure why so early, but he has an older brother who smokes daily as well which is probably the cause. He'd only smoke with his brother, in school nobody knew until we were about 16/17. I wouldn't say it was to necessarily fit in and the kid has had asthma before that. I know I shouldn't dress it up like that, but that was how it happened.

I guess schools were a factor, especially since I spent the later years of my school years in Los Angeles, where the weed is basically sold on every street corner.

And I am sure the teachers have the wellbeing of the students in mind, my school included.

edit- If I were fourteen as well, I'd be telling the kid off to. I started when I was 17 but limit myself to once a week or twice at most.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me when people say weed won't do anything to you. It's deceptive. Of course it will, like anything an excessive amount of weed can lead to serious health problems.

Occasional doses of weed is fine but it can easily become a compulsive habit.

The government probably doesn't want to make the same mistake they did by legalising tobacco (which also came from a plant).

In fact I'll compare weed to tobacco, I don't care if you disagree. In the past (Bob Marley days) the use of weed was not really bad for you because it was refined 'pure' weed. The same applies to tobacco. To reduce costs, cheap chemicals are being pumped into weed making it not so very good for you. And surprise, surprise, the same also applies to tobacco - thousands of chemicals are in one single cigarette. I give it a couple of years till tobacco and modified weed share similar health problems.

I'd only smoke pure weed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's not harmful. Lots of people think it's harmful because as kids we are told all illegal drugs = harmful, but it's really not harmful, you won't find a single serious study that states it is. Alcohol and cigarettes are far far worse, and we seem to have a pretty lax attitude towards those in the UK (according to the uninformed, smoking a joint will destroy your life, but necking a bottle of vodka every Friday night is fine). I genuinely believe Doritos and energy drinks are more harmful than weed.

The dangers that do exist exist because weed is illegal and people who smoke it have to buy it from drug dealers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    It annoys me when people say weed won't do anything to you. It's deceptive. Of course it will, like anything an excessive amount of weed can lead to serious health problems.

The government probably doesn't want to make the same mistake they did by legalising tobacco (which also came from a plant).
    The government doesn't want to make weed legal because the large number of uses the cannabis plant has would undercut other business sectors. Government propaganda has been so successful in changing opinion of cannabis over the last 80 years that to legalize it now would be political suicide for the party in office.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecup93)
    I'm not so sure why so early, but he has an older brother who smokes daily as well which is probably the cause. He'd only smoke with his brother, in school nobody knew until we were about 16/17. I wouldn't say it was to necessarily fit in and the kid has had asthma before that. I know I shouldn't dress it up like that, but that was how it happened.

I guess schools were a factor, especially since I spent the later years of my school years in Los Angeles, where the weed is basically sold on every street corner.

And I am sure the teachers have the wellbeing of the students in mind, my school included.

edit- If I were fourteen as well, I'd be telling the kid off to. I started when I was 17 but limit myself to once a week or twice at most.
    there are certainly health benefits for smoking weed, just as there are for drinking alcohol.

The trick is to do it in moderation and when your body can handle it! And the guys selling weed on the street corners, couldn't they theoretically mix all sorts of crap into the weed? Scary stuff IMO...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)
    there are certainly health benefits for smoking weed, just as there are for drinking alcohol.

The trick is to do it in moderation and when your body can handle it! And the guys selling weed on the street corners, couldn't they theoretically mix all sorts of crap into the weed? Scary stuff IMO...
    Yes, moderation is most definitely key for anything whether it be fatty foods, alcohol, weed, medicine, and much more.

Yeah, that is another issue. However, weed is basically legal in California for medical use so there are shops selling weed to prevent such mixtures from occurring. Although you need a medical card to be able to enter inside.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you get memory loss when you are smoking it?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    A few spliffs now and then are fine.

It's not smart to smoke regularly though, less dangerous than tobacco and alcohol but still not a great idea.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought it's a problem until you start smoking too much or become addicted, but I'm no drugs expert.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)

That's an incredibly shallow insight into the issue. Two things you're failing to account for: the countries that have legalized cannabis, and the already huge smoking population of this country.

Firstly, in the countries where cannabis has been legalized, there was no increase in drug-specific medical admissions. Drug-related crime rates dropped significantly.

Secondly, comparing tobacco to cannabis is retarded. Like, really really retarded. Nicotine is the most addictive substance on this planet. Cannabis is very low down the addiction scale, probably inline with the likes of anabolic steroids and ecstacy. There isn't even close to the same chance of chronic usage in these two substances. Believing them to be similar just because they're plants is so dumb. Why not throw in Datura too? I guess that's just as potent as cannabis...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kish667)
    do you get memory loss when you are smoking it?
    Not memory loss as such. With persistent smoking, forgetfulness can be a side effect but its not as if you forget everything you know or can't take on board and remember new information.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.