Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

IR Spectroscopy

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How could you differentiate between two carboxcyllic acids (for example) using IR spectroscopy? They should have troughs at the same frequency because they both contain the same functional groups, so how could you tell between ethanoic acid and propanoic acid? Would the trough representing the C-H be more prominant in propanoic acid as there are more C-H's, or something along those lines?

Thanks
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perpetuallity)
    How could you differentiate between two carboxcyllic acids (for example) using IR spectroscopy? They should have troughs at the same frequency because they both contain the same functional groups, so how could you tell between ethanoic acid and propanoic acid? Would the trough representing the C-H be more prominant in propanoic acid as there are more C-H's, or something along those lines?

Thanks
    If this is for A level, you probably won't be asked to work out the structures of two compounds with only one functional group (which is the same) from the IR trace; you'll only be asked to work out the structures of compounds with different functional groups, e.g. propan-1-ol and propanoic acid (the former having a R-OH group and the latter R-COOH).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    You can kinda tell the difference between them using IR - look at the fingerprint region. However NMR would be a much better technique to use.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not 100% that peaks are more prominent because there are more C-H's, but sometimes it does happen in that way. I guess the 'tell tale' sign in propanoic acid would be possibly having a very broad absorbtion peak at the OH bond in a carboxylic acid.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose they would be mostly the same.

The only thing I could suggest is that you would use a mass spectrometer - there would be CH3CH2CH2+ ions present as fragment ions when analysing propanoic acid, but not for ethanoic acid.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Well you can kinda tell the difference by looking at the fingerprint region for the two and comparing them, but you can't take an IR of an unknown compound and determine that it's ethanoic acid.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayled)
    I suppose they would be mostly the same.

The only thing I could suggest is that you would use a mass spectrometer - there would be CH3CH2CH2+ ions present as fragment ions when analysing propanoic acid, but not for ethanoic acid.
    No, it would just be CH3CH2+...with the COOH removed.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Just so you can see, here are spectra of the two.

Ethanoic acid:

Propanoic acid:

You can see that the fingerprint region is slightly different, so if you had reference spectra of high resolution you could tell two samples apart, but you couldn't just take the spectrum and think, ahah, that's propanoic acid!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamcusirinzon)
    No, it would just be CH3CH2+...with the COOH removed.
    Oh of course, I was thinking of alcohols for some reason but yeah thats what I was trying to get across.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)

Ethanoic acid:

Propanoic acid:

You can see that the fingerprint region is slightly different, so if you had reference spectra of high resolution you could tell two samples apart, but you couldn't just take the spectrum and think, ahah, that's propanoic acid!
    Those are strange spectra...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Ethanoic acid:

Propanoic acid:

Thanks. Also does the number of C-H's effect the relative absortion frequency of C=O or O-H? Or in other words, does the molecular composition of R (in RCOOH for example) affect the absorbtion frequencies of the functional groups?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those are strange spectra...
    How so? They're just fairly low resolution.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How so? They're just fairly low resolution.
    On mine its just came up with a red circle with 'forbidden' written along them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my chemistry course if we were asked a question like that the answer would always be the fingerprint region below 1500 cm-1 as this is unique to each substance. This thread was started ages ago but nobody other than illusionz suggested this
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    So the number of C-H's doesn't effect the relative absortion frequency of C=O or O-H? So there's no way of telling them apart.
    No. The intensity is related to the dipole moment of the bond.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    On mine its just came up with a red circle with 'forbidden' written along them
    Ah. They're from a large database run by some japanese chemists. I would have presumed my university pays a bit of money for all IP addresses associated with it to be allowed access. But the OP seems to be able to see them so no idea why you can't.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. The intensity is related to the dipole moment of the bond.
    Aha, that makes sense; cheers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ah. They're from a large database run by some japanese chemists. I would have presumed my university pays a bit of money for all IP addresses associated with it to be allowed access. But the OP seems to be able to see them so no idea why you can't.
    Yeah they don't seem to work if you copy / paste the images in. Best solution I've found is to take a screenshot!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.