The Student Room Group

OCR B (Advancing Physics) G492, 25th May 2012 Afternoon

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by thetransitionary
We've got this guys... I tried the Jan 11 paper and it's throwed me a bit but I feel like I know all the content so what can I do. Not that knowing the content helps at all with Physics B...

so true...
Reply 101
100th Post :wink: ...Well it was when I clicked post lol

Generally, how many marks is everyone aiming for in this? I'm aiming for slightly over half marks although I need 90/150 UMS to get B overall.
Reply 102
Original post by Waqar.

Generally, how many marks is everyone aiming for in this? I'm aiming for slightly over half marks although I need 90/150 UMS to get B overall.

as many as possible :smile:
im aiming for an A but have no idea how im likely to do
Original post by Waqar.

Aiming for an A, hopefully possible as G491 seemed to go quite well. Teacher hasn't told us our rough coursework grades though :/ Average mark required for the G492s for an A is about 71/100. Grade boundaries have been up to 76 (i.e in Jan 12) and down to 64 (Jan 2011) before though so who knows how hard it's going to be. But at least if it is hard, the grade boundaries are REALLY nice and if it isn't hard, then the grade boundaries aren't gonna shoot sky high, like the usual ~80% for an A. (...hopefully.)
Reply 105
Original post by Lucozad
I've cut it in half for you:smile:

I fear for you if you consider three segments to be halves :wink:
Reply 106
Original post by Andy16
I fear for you if you consider three segments to be halves :wink:

Yes, I clearly don't understand maths, I am really really sorry for misleading you, I will never do that again, if I do I will go and stand in the traffic.
i'm seriously starting to panic about this exam... feel like i don't know anything and confused by the advanced notice article
Reply 108
Original post by annamackenzie
i'm seriously starting to panic about this exam... feel like i don't know anything and confused by the advanced notice article

I've read Cavendish's experiment five times and still don't have a clue about the uncertainties and anything else he did.
Reply 109
Original post by Lucozad
Yes, I clearly don't understand maths, I am really really sorry for misleading you, I will never do that again, if I do I will go and stand in the traffic.

Take your clothes off
Reply 110
Original post by Andy16
Take your clothes off

What about no
Ugh panic :frown: the vectors and equations I think I'm okay with. but I find the wave stuff and photon stuff really confusing. like I was going over the double slit interference thing today and it was so complicated. I don't get the sin parts... all I know about photons is planck's constant. I feel like I'm screwed. :frown:
Plus the section C stuff... ugh IDK. Thankfully I have an A on c/w but unit 1 went badly and this... help guys D:
Reply 112
Original post by Wulf chan
Ugh panic :frown: the vectors and equations I think I'm okay with. but I find the wave stuff and photon stuff really confusing. like I was going over the double slit interference thing today and it was so complicated. I don't get the sin parts... all I know about photons is planck's constant. I feel like I'm screwed. :frown:
Plus the section C stuff... ugh IDK. Thankfully I have an A on c/w but unit 1 went badly and this... help guys D:

You can do it man, just concentrate on the important stuff like the nature of waves, and try and read a variety of sources if you don't understand Slit interference, information from different sources will help you understand it better.
Also go over stuff like curling up and probability of the Photons, equations like Probability is proportional to (Resultant Amplitude)^2. Have a Look through electron diffraction, even though there want be any big equations on it.

Also memorise the requirements for Dark fringes and Bright fringes, because this is a very common question. And, learn key terms like Superposition, Destructive/Constructive Interference, Anti phase,.....,

There is enough time left to cram stuff in.
Reply 113
Original post by cescagst
Hi I know this is a bit late considering the exam is tomorrow, but I do this board too. I hate the advanced notice article :0

I'm quite happy with it. There's been easier ones in the past but there's definitely been a lot harder too.
Reply 114
Good luck today everyone! I hope it all goes well!
Original post by ElleRose
Good luck today everyone! I hope it all goes well!

'sup
I'm doing a past paper now. Anyone else cramming the morning before the exam?
Also:

Original post by Andy16
Take your clothes off

Seriously WTF is going on?
Original post by CF25
I've read Cavendish's experiment five times and still don't have a clue about the uncertainties and anything else he did.

The range was approximately 2/14 of the mean, therefore the spread is approximately 1/14 of the mean (because of how spread is defined). The absolute uncertainty is +/- (whatever value 1/14*mean is) and the percentage uncertainty is +/-(1/14*100).
I agree about the experiment though I totally don't get what is going on.
Reply 117
Original post by When you see it...
'sup
I'm doing a past paper now. Anyone else cramming the morning before the exam?

My kitten woke me up at 5:30 so I've been going through the revision guide since then. XD
Original post by ElleRose
My kitten woke me up at 5:30 so I've been going through the revision guide since then. XD

If you haven't already, try this:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics_%28Advancing_Physics%29
It goes into more detail than the revision guide when explaining things, yet is also concise. The stuff for waves/quantum are especially useful.
Reply 119
Guys, I'm really confused. Is the first harmonic the fundamental or the one that comes after? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending