The Student Room Group

Most embarrassing driving moments

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
the first lesson I ever had was probably one of the most embarrassing ever.
my instructor pulled up, and taught me how biting point works etc.
She told me to get the car into 1st gear and try and pull off...

Here's me, being a genius. I switch the car off, but the car into 4th gear and then switch it on.
I kid you not the poor little Suzuki Swift jumped about 10 feet and moved 3 parking spaces down nearly hitting another car :L.

We laughed for ages and didn't actually get much done after that...
Needless to say I had a lot of work cut out for me haha.
I passed my test about three weeks ago and I went to have a look at this Renault Clio yesterday. My dad test drove it with the seller, myself and my mum in the car. I was sitting in the back thinking yeah this is pretty cool. Then the seller suggested that I have a go (bearing in mind that I was in a place I had never been to before and was a little rusty). As soon as I got in I realised that reverse was in a completely different position so when I put it in first I was so cautious and the seller was pretty scared :colondollar:. Then I stuck it in neutral when trying to get to third. I'm sure that I'll never live this one down.
I have so many embarrassing moments in my first three weeks after passing my test and I learnt in a completely different car than the one I bought. Everyone always says "You won't really notice the difference" - but from my learning point of view, going from a 1.6L diesel to a 1.0L petrol is quite different!

Anyway, I'm picking the car up and everything is going well, driving it home on my own and I decide I want to reverse park it up my drive way (which is on a hill). There I am, reversing into the drive way (going pretty well at this point) and then I notice, I'm a bit too close to the post - boom, panic rushes in. Go forward, sort the positioning out, and then I stalled about 4/5 times reversing pretty much straight back into the drive. Of course, there was a queue of traffic at this point to witness the whole thing and my nosey neighbours all came outside and watched! I literally lost all my confidence at that point (I have never stalled so much, never mind in the space of 5 minutes).

Next embarrassing moment, wasn't really anything drastic with the car but more me being an absolute idiot. I drive with my music on and sing a long...when it came to the chorus, I am full on going for it and then I realised, that my brother had slightly opened the passenger window before he left the car.

Then, the final one I have was on the way to the supermarket. It was rush hour and I was on the main road through the town, huge queues of traffic - but I'm fine, I've almost got the clutch down to perfection (95% now!) and I'm keeping up with the traffic fine and so on. Get to the front of the queue and the traffic lights go red (It's also a cross roads). I see a lot of cars behind me and I'm just thinking "It's fine, I can handle my car now!" - yeah okay, she thinks as she stalls in front of everyone to see. Most of the cars were also going to the supermarket and I was just trying to speed off so badly.

I've had a few silly moments in the car, but I just think - well, who doesn't? These were just the ones where I have literally thought "Ohmygod, get me out of here". I almost felt like exiting my car on the first one!
Me and my boyfriend's sisters went to Belfast one day to go shopping and iceskating. None of us knew the way so I took a sat nav to get us from the shopping centre to the rink. I was told to go left after some traffic lights so I did, but it was only when I was fully in the road that I realised it was one way and it wasn't the way I was going. I pulled in as far left as I could and sat there for about 5 minutes with everyone staring until I could get turned round again.
Original post by Khaliarna
Next embarrassing moment, wasn't really anything drastic with the car but more me being an absolute idiot. I drive with my music on and sing a long...when it came to the chorus, I am full on going for it and then I realised, that my brother had slightly opened the passenger window before he left the car.

You realise cars aren't completely soundproof, right? If someone can hear you singing with the window a few centimetres open, they can probably hear you when it's shut :colondollar:
Turning left on a one way system. I was lost.

Not really embarrassing but at the time it was a little esp when a driver passing by feels compelled to tell you that it's one way and another just wagging his finger at me haha.

I'm sure I've done plenty more but that's the only one I remember!
Reply 86
I had only been driving for a few weeks and had just done my first big roundabouts in my lessons. I decided to drive my mum somewhere and this involved a big roundabout that is quite busy. I drove up to the line, waited for a gap and pulled out perfectly, then celebrated at this achievement too early and panicked, and ended up not pressing the clutch down far enough to change to 2nd gear and the gear-stick jammed in 1. Que further panic as I'm trying to steer around the roundabout and I then press the clutch all the way down and say to my mum, can you put the gear stick into 2nd gear please? Mum reaches over and puts me in 4th, and of course I'm not going anywhere near fast enough for 4th, but oblivious to the gear she has put me in and thinking I'm in 2nd, I lift up the clutch and stall, the steering wheel then jammed as the engine cut and so there's me drifting across all the roundabout lanes at about 2mph hazards flashing with everyone beeping and cursing at me as they drove past. Needless to say I never asked for my mum's help again.
I turned a tight corner and when turning the steering wheel I accidentally beeped my horn at some random person.

I only passed on the 1st of August this year, so I don't have any really embarrassing driving moments just yet.
Reply 88
Szhjsndd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending