The Student Room Group

john barnes goes on racist rant calling all people 'passive racists'.

i didn't know john barnes was a racist? its a shame to see that john barnes is just another chip on the shoulder racist.

article-2146334-132753BC000005DC-317_634x484.jpg

he seems to think all people, ( i assume he means white people ) are passive racists because of classical literature. apparently, tarzan and tin tin are responsible for this ' passive racism' ! lol.....he wants these books to be banned!!...burned probably!!

he wants schools to teach people that they do not exist. that their ethnic identity is a social construct. ( i assume he doesn't mean people who look like himself. i assume he doesn't want black history month to be abolished. )

its got to the point now where the race industry has become more like a medieval inquisition.

the race industry needs to be policed because these views are getting out of control.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146334/The-Jungle-Book-Britain-nation-passive-racists-says-John-Barnes-blames-classic-authors-bigotry.html
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol. i presume he'll be arrested shortly.
And I respected John Barnes... :frown:
Reply 3
It's funny because I read/watched/listened to a lot of the books he mentioned and I don't go around beating up Pakistani 12 year olds (to quote Ray from 'In Bruges'). Although it would be interesting to get an expert's view on whether or not he may have a point.
Original post by rcummins1
It's funny because I read/watched/listened to a lot of the books he mentioned and I don't go around beating up Pakistani 12 year olds (to quote Ray from 'In Bruges'). Although it would be interesting to get an expert's view on whether or not he may have a point.

john 'book burner' barnes is spewing the same 'expert' social knowledge that has been doing the rounds for decades now. his speech sounds like it was written in the 60s. all this waffle about social constructs and 'passive racism'

john 'book burner' barnes, like a true racist in the guise of 'anti racism' is only talking about 'white racism'.

but if he was right, which he is not, then what causes racism in black and other non white communities? ..... in fact, john 'book burner' barnes is probably one of these racists who only thinks white people can be racist.
(edited 11 years ago)
Race industry? Here you go op, have a neg.

Rudyard Kipling was a racist btw. Anyway, Barnes hasn't said anything about a particular race so how does that make him a racist? Against who? He was talking about race in general. Agree with him or not but stop trying to blow it out of proportion.
(edited 11 years ago)
I had enormous respect for John Barnes :mad:
Reply 7
Original post by eggaforbreakfast
i didn't know john barnes was a racist? its a shame to see that john barnes is just another chip on the shoulder racist.

he seems to think all people, ( i assume he means white people ) are passive racists because of classical literature. apparently, tarzan and tin tin are responsible for this ' passive racism' ! lol.....he wants these books to be banned!!...burned probably!!

he wants schools to teach people that they do not exist. that their ethnic identity is social a construct. ( i assume he doesn't mean people who look like himself. i assume he doesn't want black history month to be abolished. )

its got to the point now where the race industry has become more like a medieval inquisition.

the race industry needs to be policed because these views are getting out of control.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146334/The-Jungle-Book-Britain-nation-passive-racists-says-John-Barnes-blames-classic-authors-bigotry.html

It doesn't say that in the article. I hate to say it OP but you appear to be full of ****!
I don't see why you are having such a negative reaction, OP. Popular culture and literature does perpetuate negative stereotypes (it's not just race, look at how children's fiction warps gender expectations). Race is a social construct.
Reply 9
Yes, clearly art does perpetuate ideas (some of which might be racist). That's kind of the point. There's an essay written by Chinua Achebe on how Conrad's Heart of Darkness is an implicitly 'racist' text, and it presents some very convincing arguments.

But 1) you can't judge the past by the standards of the present. You can't say that Rudyard Kipling was 'racist', because that's imposing a modern definition and moral standard on a man who lived in a very different time period. In fact, Kipling - whilst an enthusiastic colonialist - had a much more ambivalent attitude to the process of empire-building than many of his contemporaries. Read a poem like Gunga Din and you'll see.

And 2) Race is a social construct, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Writers (or other artists) shouldn't shy away from examining this.

And 3) This whole thing reminded me of Savonarola just a little bit.

So, to wrap up my badly written post, Barnes is right, but he's also wrong. It's also not a big deal, despite what the Daily Fail might say. And I only wrote this post because I want to put off going back to revising for my law exams for as long as possible.
Reply 10
passive racism' ! lol.....he wants these books to be banned!!...burned probably!!

burn him -_- how dare he lay into my tin-tin books!
Who?

Edit: on closer inspection, it appears he's a former footballer.

In what way is he qualified to talk about such matters?

Clearly an idiot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12

he wants schools to teach people that they do not exist. that their ethnic identity is a social construct. ( i assume he doesn't mean people who look like himself. i assume he doesn't want black history month to be abolished. )

Its funny because race is not a social construct. It exists in our genetics. Using DNA, scientists can know from what race a person comes from 99.99% of the time.
It's funny how these racist black people try to tell everyone that race doesn't exist while at the same time stating such racist things.
Reply 13
Original post by screenager2004
I don't see why you are having such a negative reaction, OP. Popular culture and literature does perpetuate negative stereotypes (it's not just race, look at how children's fiction warps gender expectations). Race is a social construct.

Race is not a social construct, that claim has been disproven.
Here's the evidence by a Cambridge scientist if you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Human_genetic_diversity:_Lewontin's_fallacy%22_(scientific_paper)
Reply 14
So now I've got an image in my head of a passive aggressive racist.

"Sure go out with those n***rs see if I care!"
Classic literature has a lot to answer for. I can't even count the number of times I've seen young humans beating up orcs because they'd read The Lord of the Rings and taken it too seriously.
Reply 16
Original post by Bonged.
lol. i presume he'll be arrested shortly.

He won't. He's not white so its apparently impossible for him to be racist.
Reply 17
john 'book burner' barnes is spewing the same 'expert' social knowledge that has been doing the rounds for decades now. his speech sounds like it was written in the 60s. all this waffle about social constructs and 'passive racism'

john 'book burner' barnes, like a true racist in the guise of 'anti racism' is only talking about 'white racism'.

but if he was right, which he is not, then what causes racism in black and other non white communities? ..... in fact, john 'book burner' barnes is probably one of these racists who only thinks white people can be racist.

What causes black racism? Gee, I don't know... perhaps hundreds of years of slavery, subjugation and mistreatment? White people throwing bananas at you?

Your lack of understanding on this subject is the precise problem John Barnes is talking about- you don't even understand how ignorant you are.
Original post by bossmchog
What causes black racism? Gee, I don't know... perhaps hundreds of years of slavery, subjugation and mistreatment? White people throwing bananas at you?

Your lack of understanding on this subject is the precise problem John Barnes is talking about- you don't even understand how ignorant you are.

sorry, say that again? lol

you do know racism is discrimination based upon collective guilt?

you do realise that racists always justify their racism don't you?

therefore you must be aware that you are a racist.....
Reply 19
Original post by ShocknAwe
Race is not a social construct, that claim has been disproven.
Here's the evidence by a Cambridge scientist if you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Human_genetic_diversity:_Lewontin's_fallacy%22_(scientific_paper)

That doesn't disprove it. That's an attempt to rebut.

Furthermore, if there is such a thing as 'race', what race is the American golfer Tiger Woods? His mother is asian, his father is both black & white. So that makes him what race exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending