The Student Room Group

Man in court for growing weed to calm his anger and depression

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mister Dead
I never said you were a bad person. I don't know where you got that from. It is interesting to note though that you would put all your trust into huge, multinational pharmaceutical companies to heal you, but you wouldn't put any trust in how something made you feel. And since we know that millions worldwide acknowledge THC successfully relieves symptoms of their illness, and that most don't complain of serious side effects, one has to question why marijuana isn't currently selling like hot cakes. It's almost as though they realise that citalopram doesn't grow on trees.

I'm not trying to beat you down. I just think it's a shame there's such an arbitrary distinction for why one drug is legal, and another not so, when we really are having problems proving that marijuana is any more harmful than half the stuff we ingest.

No, the fact that I've suddenly become a target for saying he should have tried other antidepressants doesn't suggest anything.

I trust medications that have undergone many stages of testing. That have KNOWN side effects and are intended for people with my illness. I put my trust in a drug that I can go to my doctor if I have any side-effects. I trust my instinct.

Would my opinion change on whether other people should take it if it were legal? Maybe. (Although I think people who smoke cigarrettes and drink heavily are stupid and these are legal.) Would I even consider taking it myself if it were legal? No. I don't drink alcohol because everything effects me.
haha, still, one gram per joint is ****loads. Medicinal levels would be a tiny fraction of that. If I smoked a gram of weed i'd be curled up in a ball in my room convinced I was going to lose control of my bladder, bowel, then vomit up my pelvis.

Please... I have awful tolerance and even I've smoked a gram before.
Reply 42
Original post by Madmachine
By that logic antifreeze is not dangerous because cyanide is more dangerous.

Look up your facts and you'll find anyone can tell you that marijuana is nowhere near as harmful as the likes of other drugs, but even on its own when uncompared it poses very little danger. If you drink alcohol and you try to badmouth people who smoke weed purely because its illegal then you are an idiot, which is a phrase which seems to befit you judging by your previous posts on this thread.
Original post by SmallTownGirl

I trust medications that have undergone many stages of testing. That have KNOWN side effects and are intended for people with my illness. I put my trust in a drug that I can go to my doctor if I have any side-effects. I trust my instinct.

we feel fairly differently about this then I guess. I am deeply cynical about the legitimacy of information we get about the effectiveness of a lot of psychotropic medication. in short, i don't trust that doctors will always do the right thing for their patient, whether knowingly or otherwise.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Please... I have awful tolerance and even I've smoked a gram before.

one average UK person smoking a gram of marijuana in a joint is abnormal. It always has been, it always will be.

3.5 joints from an eighth. Not usual.
Reply 45
Original post by Kiss
Look up your facts and you'll find anyone can tell you that marijuana is nowhere near as harmful as the likes of other drugs, but even on its own when uncompared it poses very little danger. If you drink alcohol and you try to badmouth people who smoke weed purely because its illegal then you are an idiot, which is a phrase which seems to befit you judging by your previous posts on this thread.

Please tell me what part of my post said that I think marijuana is dangerous. I was merely pointing out that your argument was invalid.
Original post by cl_steele
20 plants for personal use? my ass was that all for personal use...

tbh 20 plants doesn't sound like loads. I don't know how much of a regular supply you can get from each plant, but I hardly imagine a couple of plants would allow for a constant supply.

I know it's a widely different thing, but comparing to plants with other yields like tomatoes, potatoes etc. If you wanted a few each day, you'd need rather more then 1-2 plants to supply yourself. I know different parts of the plant can be used, but for example the plants likely won't be producing buds and thus flowers all the time, which is a main source of the drug I believe, apart from the leaves and stems themselves.

You also have to remember this guy hasn't grown them before by the sounds of it, with him stated he was going to ask what to do next online when his plants got a certain stage of growth. If he'd bought cannabis seeds, I'd imagine they'd come in a pack containing quite a lot of seeds, probably more then needed as the odds of some not germinating need to be considered, just like with other plants.

I doubt he'll get much of a sentence tbh. They should at least lower the drug to a Class C again, but honestly if cannabis is Class B, alcohol should be Class C at the least. That's if we're using an actual logical system based on the harm of the drug, not just a system build by people who have no idea what they're doing and changing it based on what they envisage will be popular public opinion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Madmachine
This.

a) any punk can spew out that same excuse

b) it IS illegal under current legislation so the court is only doing their job by bringing him to trial.

Only seems to suggest to me that you think Marijuana is bad.

My argument wasn't invalid, it wasn't even an argument. It's a basic fact that there are much worse things than cannabis - krokodil being one of the worst - which people do. You didn't reply fully to my points so I'm only going to assume you have nothing to reply with.
Reply 48
Original post by thegodofgod
While I wholeheartedly agree that this court case is a waste of money for the taxpayer, I do not agree that growing cannabis for personal use should be legalised, as it would be near impossible to economically prevent the grown cannabis from being sold for profit...

EDIT: 2 negs, yet nobody seems to want to argue?

That's TSR for you, folks...

I agree, growing your own cannabis should remain illegal. However, I think it's about time we legalised the stuff, license it to pharmacy's, and reap in the rewards of a massive VAT.
Original post by zaliack
I agree, growing your own cannabis should remain illegal.

why?
surely considering no one else suffered adverse affects from him taking it( I'm presuming that being the case) then this is a perfect case as to why it should be legalised? I can't understand how a government can imprison someone who is effectively innocent (if it was for personal use(unlikely I know)) how is sending a man to prison going to solve anything. the only thing a prison should be there for is to lock away people who are a danger to society or those who need to realise what they've done
Original post by SmallTownGirl

Sorry, but it sounds like your suggesting cannabis and/or any of it's potential side-effects are unknown/obscure?

Far from it.

It is one of, if not, the most studied drug with over 20,000 published studies conducted on the substance.

Guess what those studies have stated?

That cannabis is a very safe drug - it's effects depend on which type you use, but it's conclusively proven that all of them have little to no negative effect in the long term and it's short term effects are minor at best. There's no link between cannabis and cognitive impairment (long term), and actually, it helps allieviate many neurodegenerative disorders.

So, if you were upholding the premise that its effects are unknown and not trustworthy, then you're wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by zaliack
I agree, growing your own cannabis should remain illegal. However, I think it's about time we legalised the stuff, license it to pharmacy's, and reap in the rewards of a massive VAT.

Fair enough - we're in need of money entering the taxpayer's purse for a change :tongue:

why?

Only legalising the growing of cannabis for personal use will lead to it being sold for profit. That is not personal use.

I'm saying that you either legalise it in the way that zaliack has outlined above, or not legalise it at all.

Only legalising the growing of cannabis for personal use will lead to it being sold for profit. That is not personal use.

I'm saying that you either legalise it in the way that zaliack has outlined above, or not legalise it at all.

If we're saying it's legal to use IE the government have kindly granted us permission to do what we want with our own bodies, then why on Earth illegal to grow. Beer is legal to brew, marrows are legal to grow, hamsters are legal to breed... what's the problem with growing a weed in your garden?
A 33 year old engineer who smokes weed in his own time? I for one will sleep a little bit easier knowing that this menace is off our streets.
Reply 55
If we're saying it's legal to use IE the government have kindly granted us permission to do what we want with our own bodies, then why on Earth illegal to grow. Beer is legal to brew, marrows are legal to grow, hamsters are legal to breed... what's the problem with growing a weed in your garden?

Weed is so easy to make (apparently) so there would be no point in just letting it be sold freely. It'd be very profitable, for private growers, small and large companies and the taxpayer, if we require lincenses and regulations, as well as massive taxes.
Original post by Kiss
You clearly haven't done weed.

Type 'Krokodil' into youtube or google and come back and tell us all that weed is a very dangerous substance.

Wow, that stuff is seriously messed up :eek:
Reply 57
Original post by Kiss
Only seems to suggest to me that you think Marijuana is bad.

My argument wasn't invalid, it wasn't even an argument. It's a basic fact that there are much worse things than cannabis - krokodil being one of the worst - which people do. You didn't reply fully to my points so I'm only going to assume you have nothing to reply with.

So what? there's worst things than 99% of bad things. Just because there's something worse than something else doesn't make it good. It can suggest to you what you want but I am just pointing out as much as we all love cannabis (I got nothing against the stuff) you're wasting your time complaining about the courts and police doing their job and following the law. It would be far better to complain about the politicians not changing the law. Are you seriously expecting the police to bust someone and if they say "medicinal purposes dude" the police are supposed to say " oh right sorry to bother you mate" and walk off without testing his excuse in court? Even if cannabis was legal what he did would still have been illegal because it would of been analogous to secretly making your own alcohol to circumvent taxation and medical regulation of intoxicating substances.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rugbyladosc
no its true police always make busts with half a million £ worth of plants all the time. I have initiative and am an accomplished gardener :wink:, it just doesn't seem fair those willing to break the law, or have 'initiative', can reap it in. It's not a level playing field as only those with the means can compete.

Why not legalize then, even for sale, sellers would have to be licensed and registered as self employed then they will pay tax on their earnings.

Over 21s or 18s only, if the seller was caught breaching this as with alcohol they'd be fined and/or lose their licence.
Reply 59
Fair enough - we're in need of money entering the taxpayer's purse for a change :tongue:

Why would it lead to it being sold for profit. If anything it would reduce people selling it for profit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending