The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What are my chances for getting into LSE with these grades?

Hi basically I have 3A*s 6As and 2Bs at GCSE, and am currently on for 3-4 As at AS. Is that good enough to compete for a place at LSE for Management??? ::confused: And what work exp is needed for that course? Help pleassee!!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there. I'm an offer holder of Management course at LSE. I think you have a good chance to get in in terms of grades because the requirement is only AAB. Also, although it is not stated in the website, I still think that LSE will also consider the exact scores of each of your modules, especially those who are traditional subjects. But, if you don't mind me asking, what are the subjects you are taking? Subject combination is very important, you might want to have a look in details about traditional subjects preferred by LSE if you haven't done so. Work experience is not really important, I think, well, at least you show them you've tried to do something before university. For me, I worked as an intern in a bank in my country and did some charity works. Another thing is your Personal Statement, you should be able to include your interests in Management as well as your contribution to your school and your extra-curricular activities like work experience. I think that's it:biggrin:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Thanks for replying yeah Im currently doing Maths, Economics, French and Arabic, do you reckon they're enough?
After calculating the grade average of those who get into LSE, with some other minor figures I've estimated your chances of getting into LSE is 36.3%.
0.7%
Reply 5
Original post by Miracle Day
After calculating the grade average of those who get into LSE, with some other minor figures I've estimated your chances of getting into LSE is 36.3%.

Lmao, sik guy. Where did you get 35.6% from?

OP, you have a good chance as long as your PS is good. Your grades seem fine for someone applying to management.
Any tips then on a good PS?
Original post by President M.E.
Thanks for replying yeah Im currently doing Maths, Economics, French and Arabic, do you reckon they're enough?

Have a look at the website, in the admission criteria, you can see that the most preferred subject combination is Maths, Eco and French (Arabic). So I think you stand a good chance. But the most difficult thing is still your Personal Statement though.
Original post by bakyvinnynguyen
Have a look at the website, in the admission criteria, you can see that the most preferred subject combination is Maths, Eco and French (Arabic). So I think you stand a good chance. But the most difficult thing is still your Personal Statement though.

Cheers mate nice one :biggrin:
Don't bother worrying about your grades anymore, (just make sure your teachers are predicting your grades as high as they will) really get to work on your personal statement. I started with a spider diagram of basically everything I've done worth talking about, then referred to it while I was writing to make sure I didn't miss anything that deserved a mention. Don't include things just for the sake of it, always make sure there's a reason why it makes you more suitable than the other applicants to study Management; if you have any relevant work experience or extra reading on the subject make sure you have good chat about it.

Finally, get everyone to comment on it, and don't be afraid to re-write the whole thing if it just doesn't seem right. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 10
I got similar grades to you 3 A* 5A 1B and I got an offer for management this year, so i think you should be ok
Thanks guys much appreciated :smile:
Original post by komodo
I got similar grades to you 3 A* 5A 1B and I got an offer for management this year, so i think you should be ok

Oh btw do you have a copy of your ps I could have a look at pls..if possible :wink:
Reply 13
Hi basically I have 3A*s 6As and 2Bs at GCSE, and am currently on for 3-4 As at AS. Is that good enough to compete for a place at LSE for Management??? ::confused: And what work exp is needed for that course? Help pleassee!!

Well i got into LSE Law with 2a* (R.S and ICT) 6a and 3b at gcse and 2a*2a at ALEVEL. Got an unconditional. Admittedly i was very lucky. I reckon for management you got a decent chance.
Reply 14
Original post by Pakman
Well i got into LSE Law with 2a* (R.S and ICT) 6a and 3b at gcse and 2a*2a at ALEVEL. Got an unconditional. Admittedly i was very lucky. I reckon for management you got a decent chance.

sorry i missed the part where you were lucky...
Reply 15
Dont worry about grades so much, jus make sure u get As in A-levels, GCSE not AS important

I got in with the worst AS levels like E, D, and Cs, but my teachers predicted me As and after retakes i got them.

The best advice is ace the PERSONAL STATEMENT, dont worry about work experience at this point. You have to show WHY u want to do management and believe me make it as PASSIONATE as possible. LSE gets thousands of offers and discriminates on 2 things: personal statement OR overseas students who can pay the higher tuition fees. Thats why they dont do interviews.

Seriously if it werent for personal statement i wud not be here, you have to fight these damn rich overseas buggers :mad: tho theyre all nice ppl :smile:
Original post by MALL COP
Dont worry about grades so much, jus make sure u get As in A-levels, GCSE not AS important

I got in with the worst AS levels like E, D, and Cs, but my teachers predicted me As and after retakes i got them.

The best advice is ace the PERSONAL STATEMENT, dont worry about work experience at this point. You have to show WHY u want to do management and believe me make it as PASSIONATE as possible. LSE gets thousands of offers and discriminates on 2 things: personal statement OR overseas students who can pay the higher tuition fees. Thats why they dont do interviews.

Seriously if it werent for personal statement i wud not be here, you have to fight these damn rich overseas buggers :mad: tho theyre all nice ppl :smile:

Agree with you till the "discriminate on 2 things". I'm an international student and got an offer from LSE. I'm not saying that you are right or wrong about the admission discrimination but everyone gets in by having a passionate Personal statement, exceptional grades etc. We pay higher but that doesn't necessarily mean we have higher chance to get it. I mean if British students keep worrying about this kind of ridiculous admission discrimination, they will never be able to produce a good piece of PS or work hard in the upcoming exams. It's better to stay with what the admission says on the website. Sorry but I'm not trying to have a go on you or anything:biggrin:
Reply 17
Re: bakyvinnynguyen

I agree with u as well

However there have been many reports for instance in the sunday times that claim that this is an increasingly common tactic adopted by unis in need of greater funding.

Talking of the LSE in special regard; its quite astonishing the ratio between british and overseas students (most of whom are rich, or perhaps on scholarship), and especially in courses like economics or masters courses- of course this says nothing about peoples abilities or passion on their PS

This all may sound a little prejudice to some ppl, and i strongly believe that all students rightfully deserve their spot, yet i cant hide the fact, or at least underlying suspicion, that something is going on
Reply 18
Oh btw do you have a copy of your ps I could have a look at pls..if possible :wink:

Do u still need my ps?
Original post by komodo
Do u still need my ps?

Yeah pls would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending