The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What are my chances for getting into LSE with these grades?

Scroll to see replies

I really really want to go to LSE to read Economics... but i fear that my AS results are not good enough :frown:

i have A*,A*,A*, A*, A*, A, A, A, A, A, A, B, C for GCSE
But my AS results will be A,A,B, B/C in August this year, i am fairly confident about that...
However, the 2 A's are in ECONOMICS and BUSINESS STUDIES <--- which i am aiming for 100UMS in all the exams
The other B's are French and Maths Stats. i know i can get an A in maths stats (and to an extent French) when i retake, it was just a case of my exam on the day only dishing out my weakest topics this June :frown:

I am also doing an EPQ, and i am doing 1/2 of my A2 Economics early, this June.
Even though my AS results in August wouldn't be to impressive to the people at LSE (cos i know they often see 4 High A's), but i really really shine in Economics, like i have been top of the class since we started (for business also). Not only this but my school is statistically ranked in the top 10 school's in the UK, according to the Times i think.
( BTW please don't think i am sounding big headed i just want to reassure myself that i have a chance!)

Like i really blitz the subject. It is my passion and it just comes so naturally and easily and i often have been called upon for help in the subject by my peers and even my teachers when they need an assistant in lessons. So because of this i feel that i can achieve A* in Economics overall, and the same with business studies - A*.

But what i have heard today is that they almost always want you to have an A* in MATHS. Now, i know i can get the A when i resit in January, but i really don't know if an A* is in my reach!

This means next year i would be aiming for A*, A*, A*. Which judging by my AS grades (which i am about 90% sure i will get) you wouldn't think it, and i don't know if LSE would buy it!

But hopefully you can tell by my explanation, you can see the logic behind me aiming for that!

I have lots of musical, sports and dramatic extra curriculum activities to add, and leadership responsibilities and stuff..

What do you guys think?! Given my AS grades and what you've read, do i have a chance?! Because i know how competitive it is there, especially for Economics!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
You always have a chance if you apply.

Your GCSEs are okay, but since Economics L101 asks for you to send AS module scores you might be let down there, and I'm sorry to tell you that Business Studies is only recognised where a student can't study A level Economics. Offers are A*AA with A* in Mathematics, which is fair considering other top Econ courses are actually asking for Further Maths AS now, and a majority of LSE Econ applicants do have FM it seems.

However if you're as passionate as you say you are then you have the chance to make up for it in your personal statement, start writing it soon, constantly redraft and improve it and try to get as many people to comment on it as possible. L101 is extremely competitive but if you want to apply then don't let anyone stop you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
I'm going to try and be as honest as possible, its really competitve. About 15 applicants per place.

Original post by RomanMarkOliver
I really really want to go to LSE to read Economics... but i fear that my AS results are not good enough :frown:

i have A*,A*,A*, A*, A*, A, A, A, A, A, A, B, C for GCSE

Gcse's aren't going to stand out For LSE Econ standards, but they're fine.

But my AS results will be A,A,B, B/C in August this year, i am fairly confident about that...
However, the 2 A's are in ECONOMICS and BUSINESS STUDIES <--- which i am aiming for 100UMS in all the exams

Seriously wait for your AS results. But if you do get those grades honestly I wouldn't bother without a high A in Maths.

Econ and business has some overlap and not a preferred combination.

The other B's are French and Maths Stats. i know i can get an A in maths stats (and to an extent French) when i retake, it was just a case of my exam on the day only dishing out my weakest topics this June :frown:

Right if you have a B in Maths it shows that your not as confident and your mathematical capabilities are important for LSE Econ.

Also they send a questionnaire asking what extra maths you do, ie Further Maths, STEP, AEA etc. So Maths is very important.
If your struggling with AS maths you'll prob struggle with the course

I am also doing an EPQ, and i am doing 1/2 of my A2 Economics early, this June.
Even though my AS results in August wouldn't be to impressive to the people at LSE (cos i know they often see 4 High A's), but i really really shine in Economics, like i have been top of the class since we started (for business also). Not only this but my school is statistically ranked in the top 10 school's in the UK, according to the Times i think.
( BTW please don't think i am sounding big headed i just want to reassure myself that i have a chance!)

Like i really blitz the subject. It is my passion and it just comes so naturally and easily and i often have been called upon for help in the subject by my peers and even my teachers when they need an assistant in lessons. So because of this i feel that i can achieve A* in Economics overall, and the same with business studies - A*.

But what i have heard today is that they almost always want you to have an A* in MATHS. Now, i know i can get the A when i resit in January, but i really don't know if an A* is in my reach!

This means next year i would be aiming for A*, A*, A*. Which judging by my AS grades (which i am about 90% sure i will get) you wouldn't think it, and i don't know if LSE would buy it!

But hopefully you can tell by my explanation, you can see the logic behind me aiming for that!

I have lots of musical, sports and dramatic extra curriculum activities to add, and leadership responsibilities and stuff..

What do you guys think?! Given my AS grades and what you've read, do i have a chance?! Because i know how competitive it is there, especially for Economics!

Economics at A-level is apparently very basic compared to uni. And seriously grades are paramount over eveything else! Heck I'm sure you could prob get a B in econ AS and you'd still stand a chance if your maths UMS was amazing

How the hell are you sure you'll get an A* in Maths when you haven't done C3 or C4??

Maths on its own isn't even enough when predicted an A*. The fact that your planning on doing econ, business and maths won't help. Bad subject combination, 3 subjects, lack of further maths," average" gcses.
Reply 23
Original post by komodo
Do u still need my ps?

can you please upload it on mediafire or something and post the link here pls. I'm sure many people would like to see it :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by funkydee
Right if you have a B in Maths it shows that your not as confident and your mathematical capabilities are important for LSE Econ.

Also they send a questionnaire asking what extra maths you do, ie Further Maths, STEP, AEA etc. So Maths is very important.

Hi, my question is totally irrelevant to the OP and I hope that you won't mind answering me.
As you said that maths is important if someone wants to study at LSE but then why loads of people on TSR say that if someone wants to study serious maths then he/she should consoder oxbridge or imperial? I have studied PG maths at LSE & I found the LSE maths the most hardest maths as at LSE I studied higher level diffusions, filteration, SDEs etc concepts. Even though my other class mates (from Oxbridge & Moscow State Univ) found maths at LSE the most hardest subject.
Thanks in advance.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Bossman32
Hi can someone help me? I want to apply to LSE for economics. I know that you have to have high maths grades to be accepted by LSE so I wonder if my maths scores are high enough...
C1: 99
C2:100
C3:100
C4: 100
M1: 100
M2:100
I plan on retaking C1. A reply would be greatly appreciated. (I also got the best mark in the world in maths GCSE)

It is very lucky for me to see this silly question. It seems that you will receive a lot of neg later. I can tell you that it is pointless to retake C1, you should you why if you get these marks on your exams. (My average maths scores are around 4-5 marks lower than yours and I still have an offer from LSE though it is not economics)
Reply 26
So much grade talk!, i know LSE is competitive but please dont forget about ur personal statement, LSE recruits 50% genius robots and the other half are humans-try and balance!!! :smile:
Original post by PsychoPanda
Hey , I got 10 a* and 1A at gcse . My AS grades were pretty bad : A-Geog, B- math B-further math, B- chemistry , B - general studies, C- Physics ( I took one too many and spread my self too thinly I think) . I go to a school where you don't cash in your AS grades on UCAS so they will only see my predictions which are A*A*A*A A ( dropping physics) unless they call the school and ask. I want to apply for Management 2015 entry and have good london work experience at Ernst and Young, do I still have a strong chance of getting in with my underperforming at AS? Seeing your AS grades has made me feel less delusional for wanting to apply to the LSE , thanks.

also, could You send me your personal statement? I totally understand if you don't want to share it but I am very desperate to get in and need to see an example of a good one... Thanks :smile:

Nobody would call your school to ask. They have too many applicants to pay attention to one. Dropping Physics is the least you can do. FM is needed only for some courses in some universities, like engineering and economics in top universities. LSE Management prefer a good combination of subjects and just an A in Maths.

There are some PS examples in studentroom which should just be a starting point. You have to dig deep to come up with something very personal. You need to communicate why you want to study management and what motivates you to do so. LSE uses the PS to help find those who would most likely succeed in the course - understanding what the course is about, motivation and passion about the multi-disciplinary nature of management. Take what they write about PS in their Admissions Criteria very seriously and you will have a chance. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2015/management.aspx
Original post by MALL COP
So much grade talk!, i know LSE is competitive but please dont forget about ur personal statement, LSE recruits 50% genius robots and the other half are humans-try and balance!!! :smile:

With most courses having around 10+:1 applicants:tongue:laces ratio, one can be assured that at least half of that have predictions that meet or beat the minimum grades. How else are the Admissions Tutors select if not by your PS and by careful assessment of each and every applicant against their clearly stated criteria. LSE does not want very smart people who do not know what they really want to study or do with their lives. A high drop out rate due to their poor selection of candidates would be not be good for LSE.
Wanting to get into LSE - on target for AABB at AS Level and have got 3 A* 4A 2B at GCSE.
I want to study Social Policy with Government - but worry that one of my AS Level's may be lower than that due to the fact I taught myself the course and school just bought in the paper.

As the course requirements for the course are AAB at A Level - do you think I'm likely to get an offer with a good personal statement?
Original post by bakyvinnynguyen
Hi there. I'm an offer holder of Management course at LSE. I think you have a good chance to get in in terms of grades because the requirement is only AAB. Also, although it is not stated in the website, I still think that LSE will also consider the exact scores of each of your modules, especially those who are traditional subjects. But, if you don't mind me asking, what are the subjects you are taking? Subject combination is very important, you might want to have a look in details about traditional subjects preferred by LSE if you haven't done so. Work experience is not really important, I think, well, at least you show them you've tried to do something before university. For me, I worked as an intern in a bank in my country and did some charity works. Another thing is your Personal Statement, you should be able to include your interests in Management as well as your contribution to your school and your extra-curricular activities like work experience. I think that's it:biggrin:

I got 7A* 1A 1B in my olevels and gave 3AS for physics economics and Maths and got straight As in them. Apart from that i gave internal exams for Further Maths and Comouter Science in which i got As too because our school does not allow us to give AS for these two subjects. I have done 2 years worth of community service which includes teaching to under previleged people and fundraising. I am also a keyboardist for like 8 years now and have been playing in my class team in football and cricket for like 4 years in total. Do you have any idea what are my chances at LSE if i want to apply for UG in economics with Maths? I am from Pakistan btw
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending