The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA english lit poetry help

Hey, so my English lit poetry exam is on 24th May and I'm screwed.
My English teacher hasn't helped me at all and I'm really struggling.
I'm doing the character and voice cluster.
I dont know how to answer any of the past questions.
How would you answer: 'Compare the way poets present strong emotions in medusa and in one other poem from character and voice'?
I really want to get a B or above.
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
I can't help you with the poem quetsion directly since I haven't studied it personally, but here are some links you might find useful:

Link 1 - http://www.sheerpoetry.co.uk/advanced/carol-ann-duffy/notes-on-selected-poems-advanced/medusa

Link 2 - http://www.helpmewithenglish.co.uk/page_2096457.html

Video explaining it all - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OacJ5a4jZYM

There you go...hope these help you:smile:
Reply 2
Check this and this out. They are fantastic.

If you need help in regard to what you actually need to write, please quote me and I'll see if I have some resources!

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Check this and this out. They are fantastic.

If you need help in regard to what you actually need to write, please quote me and I'll see if I have some resources!

Best of luck!

Thank you that's great for revision but in regards to the past questions how would you answer it? :smile:
Reply 4
Heya! Dont worry too much about the exam, just have a look on BBc bitesize for English, it will give you everything you need to answer any of the questions for the poems your studying :smile:

And choose medusa, and analyse the key images and theme and choose another from the poem list which is similar and compare them:smile:

The BBC will make it much clearer :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by hali135
Thank you that's great for revision but in regards to the past questions how would you answer it? :smile:

Here is an example of an A* essay and the teacher breaks it down very well.

Check it out, and best of luck!
Reply 7
Original post by hali135
Hey, so my English lit poetry exam is on 24th May and I'm screwed.
My English teacher hasn't helped me at all and I'm really struggling.
I'm doing the character and voice cluster.
I dont know how to answer any of the past questions.
How would you answer: 'Compare the way poets present strong emotions in medusa and in one other poem from character and voice'?
I really want to get a B or above.
Thanks in advance.

i have my exam on the same day and have been revising for mainly the other exam the one about a play and a novel i read the poem of Medusa and i would use the way of her looks as they are described strongly in it to convey her emotions as well as this is quite a good one to write about, with this you can usually link on from here so with other poems from character and voice there are usually a lot of descriptive texts so choose one similar and let it flow. my teacher usually says find a quote thats small that you can write a lot about, this is good as if you can chose a quote to back up the point of her appearance in the way she feels, and write more than 1 way that the quote can be interpreted then you are easily up there in the top 3/2 bands i would say. good luck i will be sitting the exam so i know how you feel :smile:
Reply 8
Hi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending