The Student Room Group

I'm going to fail as level

hey everyone! :smile:
at this moment im DYING! i have a feeling that i did very very very bad in all my exams including my resits :frown:
i'm doing biology, chemistry,business and french for my AS level. i'm so scared that i dont get accepted to any university when i apply next october. i dont know how all this works, i mean what will happen if i dont get an offer etc..

if i have ok-ish predicted grades and good work experience (which im planning to do in the summer) and have a good personal statement...will that convince the uni to offer me a course? also if i get higher A2 level grades than AS level, will they change their mind and accept me?? because i promised myself that i will work very hard next year for my A2!

p.s. i want to apply for either Pharmacy or Biomedical science!
please give me a certain information that you are SURE off

thank you :smile: xxx

Scroll to see replies

If it doesn't work out, resit the year and work really hard. If it does and you get C's you'll be fine applying for Biomedical Science, I did and everything worked out :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kls23
hey everyone! :smile:
at this moment im DYING! i have a feeling that i did very very very bad in all my exams including my resits :frown:
i'm doing biology, chemistry,business and french for my AS level. i'm so scared that i dont get accepted to any university when i apply next october. i dont know how all this works, i mean what will happen if i dont get an offer etc..

if i have ok-ish predicted grades and good work experience (which im planning to do in the summer) and have a good personal statement...will that convince the uni to offer me a course? also if i get higher A2 level grades than AS level, will they change their mind and accept me?? because i promised myself that i will work very hard next year for my A2!

p.s. i want to apply for either Pharmacy or Biomedical science!
please give me a certain information that you are SURE off

thank you :smile: xxx

I'm sure you've done great, but if for some crazy reason you haven't, do not despair. The world will keep turning. And I don't mean that in a condescending way - you'll find a way to do what you love.

Good luck.
Reply 3
You get your AS scores
Your teachers use those to decide your predicted grades
You will decide on universities to apply to depending on these predicted grades

You may or may not get offers based on these predicted grades

You would need to achieve the grades they state in the offer

Example
AS grades = ABCC
Predicted grades = ABB
Offer (firm)= ABB
Offer (insurance) = BCC

You get ABB and go to your first choice, you don't but you get BBC and you go to your second choice
Reply 4
Original post by LifeIsGood
If it doesn't work out, resit the year and work really hard. If it does and you get C's you'll be fine applying for Biomedical Science, I did and everything worked out :smile:

my school doesn't allow anyone to resit the year, only the exams :frown:
Reply 5
Thank you guys :smile: xx
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
You get your AS scores
Your teachers use those to decide your predicted grades
You will decide on universities to apply to depending on these predicted grades

You may or may not get offers based on these predicted grades

You would need to achieve the grades they state in the offer

Example
AS grades = ABCC
Predicted grades = ABB
Offer (firm)= ABB
Offer (insurance) = BCC

You get ABB and go to your first choice, you don't but you get BBC and you go to your second choice

so if my A2 results are much better, how will the uni know about it and will they give me a chance if they see a big improvement comparing to my AS?
Original post by kls23
my school doesn't allow anyone to resit the year, only the exams :frown:

Change to a college or do self-study, might be the best option. It can be an oppoturnity in disguise if you change you're perception of your situation. Just believe me when I say it'll all work out, my world felt like it was crumbling on results day but after a few days of the tears, you think rationally and look ahead instead of the past. Then when you enroll into a college/sixth form, you take it more seriously - that's how it was for me :smile:
I really need help! So last year I did my AS, and I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Business studies. I failed biology, chemistry and maths, getting 3 U's. So this year I decided to retake the year, so I took Biology, Chemistry and Psychology, and carried on with Business as an A2. But my janaury exams wernt great this year, and it finally hit me in april that I needed motivation, so I started revising a month before my exams but I feel like i've failed them too. Ive just turned 18 and I just cant believe I just wasted so much time. If I fail what am I going to do? I really want to go to university and it has been a dream of mine to study biomedical. But if I do retake, id be 20 when I finish my a levels. And would home study be better or should I move to another school/college? Please reply!
Original post by superglow12
I really need help! So last year I did my AS, and I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Business studies. I failed biology, chemistry and maths, getting 3 U's. So this year I decided to retake the year, so I took Biology, Chemistry and Psychology, and carried on with Business as an A2. But my janaury exams wernt great this year, and it finally hit me in april that I needed motivation, so I started revising a month before my exams but I feel like i've failed them too. Ive just turned 18 and I just cant believe I just wasted so much time. If I fail what am I going to do? I really want to go to university and it has been a dream of mine to study biomedical. But if I do retake, id be 20 when I finish my a levels. And would home study be better or should I move to another school/college? Please reply!

If you get atleast C's in Biology & Chemistry and your teachers predict you B's, you'll be fine. But when you fail them, how seriously do you mean 'failing'? U/E or C/D? I retook the year and got C's in the end and everything worked out fine.
like U/E' :\
Resit the year, even if it means changing college.

The commitment of an extra year should force you to work to the best of your ability, else you don't deserve it anyway.

You will get into a better uni with AAAA/AAAB and an extra year than the CDEU without.

People say "uni's won't accept you if you do an extra year!!!1!!!11" but trust me, AAAA and doing so will allow you to do what you want - and almost everyone is capable of A's given enough effort.
Reply 12
There's nothing u can do about the past now. You say u have wasted so much time; maybe that will force u to realise that u must get ur head down and put the effort in in ur resit year, otherwise u gotta find other ways of motivating yourself to get grades better than U/F/E. Things like facebook, playing on the phone, games consoles u just have to force yourself to cut them out as they are major distractions.

I have a classmate who is friendly, nice and humorous and ive never seen a such a fall from grace from him ever. When we were in Year 7, 8, 9 we all knew yes he wasnt the brainiest of people but so were most of the rest of us, and all of us got A*/A/B grades. But from GCSE onwards to AS Level now, he now has scored 2 U grades in maths C1 (which is the easiest) and chemistry unit 1, plus alot of C & D grades in GCSE, not because he wasnt clever cause we knew he had the ability/talent. He just wasnt motivated enough; apparently he is addicted to his PS3, iPod, phone and likes to shop on ebay daily.

Those are the sorts of distractions that just arent worth it. Everyone has enough talent and are clever enough to get better than U/E/F/D grades including you. Maybe u dont understand a topic or an entire chapter, but if u put in the effort to make yourself understand, in the end you'll think the work is actually quite straightforward, then u can answer exam questions
like U/E' :\

Either take a gap year or redo it.

I'd advise you to do it in self-study so you're much more focused if you're allowed to. What did you do wrong this year? I don't mean to sound patronising (hoping I don't) but use that to try to 'fix' or work out your problems then do some work over the summer again and be prepared to ace those exams.
I don't want to be harsh but if you're not motivated for your a-levels, even when they're resits, is university really the best option for you? I think a lot of people on here need to realise that there's a lot more you can do after leaving school than going to university.
That being said, no one should freak out now. You don't know your grades yet and people always think they've done worse than they have.
sometimes i feel like maybe exams wernt meant for me :\, ive already turned 18 and i guess i wasnt motivated enough till the end, where i thought to myself that i really do want to go uni. yes i did have distractions - phone, internet, tv etc. and maybe if i did put the work in at the start i could of got the grades.
i've heard about a HE diploma in radiography? im not sure if i should do that
sometimes i feel like maybe exams wernt meant for me :\, ive already turned 18 and i guess i wasnt motivated enough till the end, where i thought to myself that i really do want to go uni. yes i did have distractions - phone, internet, tv etc. and maybe if i did put the work in at the start i could of got the grades.
i've heard about a HE diploma in radiography? im not sure if i should do that

If you didn't put all your effort into it, it's not something that will just appear for you. It's harsh to say but it's true. It took a lot of dedication, perserverence & determination to get the E's in my units I had in the first year 12 into B's and that was purely from stopping procrastination and being motivated to do the work. If it doesn't enlighten you, don't do it. You don't want to do something that's not going to make you happy.
do you consider that i should do my a levels again?
Reply 18
can't i just try my best in my A2 level and resit some of my AS subjects in year 13? will the uni still accept me with better A2 grades? i am sure that i have the ability to get AAB/ABB in A2 (year 13)
if you get decent grades in AS, like D's and above, then you could probably get into A2 depending on your school, and resit the AS modules aswell as A2. thats what my friend did, she got CDD and she went onto A2 and eventually got A's and B's in most of her modules :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest