The Student Room Group

Podiatry: how did you end up there?

Hi!

I'm considering applying to study podiatry and would be interested to hear how others got or are getting there, particularly with regards to mature students and previous study.

My academic background is humanities/social sciences (up to postgrad level) so I'll need to undertake either a science A-level or an access course.

The notion of an access course is appealing as my biology/chemistry/maths can at best be described as 'rusty'. However, I might find attending classes difficult to balance alongside my current work obligations. It seems that most access courses require spending at least a couple of days in class.

An evening class in A-level Biology would be fairly easy to slot in - but I worry this might not give me sufficient grounding.

What did you all do?
Reply 1
Hi Stray dog!
Im a pod student, its great. I think a foundation course would probs be fine for entry to pod school, but the best thing to do is speak to a school and tell them about yourself, they should be able to advise on the best way get accepted and where you might need the most preparation. I visited/and/or phoned all the schools I was interested in and just quizzed the hell out them, the great additional thing is that they get exposure to you early on and remember you, and with a name like stray dog they will surely recognise your application and remember your enthusiastic questioning/grilling !
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply - I've begun to email a couple of places, asking about visits too. As you say, with a name like 'Stray Dog' surely I cannot go wrong! It'll be worth all the years of ridicule I endured in high school...
Reply 3
Hi, i wonder if you can help me. i am a mature chap (48) with a couple of GCSE's maths and English taken in 2006 night school) I am seriously considering a Pod course at one of the 13 universities. The issue I have is that I have no other formal quals. sad I know but thought Star wars was more important than CSE's (old fassioned GCSE). Other than the access course route are there any others? entry on interview only type of thing? I am sadly waiting to be made redundant and have only been there 3 months so no payout for me. I could cope with the three years uni but four including access would over stretch me if that made sence to you. any help in being pointed in the right direction would be great. I dont mind which uni but its getting in thats going to be the issue.
i have looked at the FHP route and to be honest, the ones I have seen seem to be a bit "get rich quick" so am reluctant to go that route.
I live on the south coast near Brighton but would def relocate to an area where the uni needs older, cant fill the places on the course (if thats an issue anywhere) type thing.
Thanks for your time in reading and I would be happy to give further information if needed.
Kev
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Kev

I too was a mature student and decided to study Podiatry at the University of Southampton. I left school with CSEs and O'Levels but with shocking results in all, and never stayed on to do any A levels. After 13 years in the Army I decided to leave and seek a new career pathway. I decided to so the SMAE qualification and become a Foot Health Practitioner which I suppose was a start point for me. I qualified with the SMAE in 2007 and started my own mobile foot health practice and for a while I was happy but soon started to realise that I didn't really know a great deal and would never be taken seriously by Podiatrists or the NHS. I decided to complete the BSc (Hons) Podiatry in 2009. I previously attended an interview at UWIC which is now called Cardiff Metropolitan University I believe. Due to my lack of qualifications I was given the option of either complete an access course or A level in human Biology which I declined. I then attended an interview at the University of Southampton and thankfully they accepted me on the strength of the SMAE qualification but all of my other peers had either completed A Levels, access courses or one other like me had completed the SMAE. There is no harm in ringing the Universities and asking whether they will accept you on the life skills you already possess. I will admit that I did find the anatomy and physiology side of the course extremely difficult to master especially in the first year and also writing academically, I graduated with a 2:1 degree classification and believe me when I say that it wasn't easy, I do feel if I had done an access course I could have graduated with a 1st. I wish you all the best in seeking a suitable University but do your research first the curriculum differs slightly in each University for example Southampton is a research University and they focus a lot on this especially in years two and three, Cardiff on the other hand do a lot of Biomechanics. I hope this has helped please don't hesitate to email me if you have any other questions and good luck Amanda
what access course do you need to in order to enrol on to the podiatry degree? also what sort of grades roughly? any work experience required? lastly is access to health studies which includes sociology,psychology, biology etc good enough to get on to podiatry degree.
Hi, I'm doing an Access course and have been accepted to study podiatry at Durham in September.

I'm doing the science pathway because that interested me more, but the health care one would have been fine I think. I'm getting distinctions in everything so far, but my offer only asks that I complete it, so I could get in with passes.

More important is getting work shadowing experience, but you only need a day really. You just need to show you understand what the job is.

If you've been out of education a while, an Access course is brilliant for getting you back into deadlines and assignments, as well as making sure your referencing skills are up to scratch.

You can work while you're doing it, I still am. Although it's very hard work and I'm very tired, it's only for 9 months or so. Uni will seem easy in comparison!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you in very eager to get going. Did you apply to any other uni too and what sort of grades doc they ask for? I already hold a science level 3 diploma so I should be ok in either of the access courses. I'd prefer care rather than science because I dislike chemistry n physics. Biology is my thing. Did you apply to either Birmingham met or Huddersfield?
I didn't apply anywhere else because I can't afford to move to go to uni.

Have a chat with your local colleges and see what courses they offer. I think offers might depend on the interview. Most universities will tell you what the required grades are, just email and ask.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would I be able to get some personal statement advice please. Just want to know how I can get everything I need into the statement which would actual have an effect on the reader
Hi, mine focused on why I wanted to do podiatry, the work experience I had found (most require this, contact your local NHS and some private podiatrists) and what skills I had that would work well in podiatry.

There are some podiatry websites and the NHS should give you some tips on what makes a good podiatrist. I don't have links now because I'm on my phone, but if you have no luck googling I'll dig them out. Should be easy to find though.

Your college will help too, so you're not alone with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks
For the personal statement what sort of stuff should I write as I have lots to write I rather not write things which would not benefit my statement. IS it ideal to write about other work experience for example what and where I am working now and how that can act as transferable skills. Also I have so far written a draft which consists of; why I want to study podiatry, transferable life skills, academics such as what I have done academically access course etc n what skills I gained, what a podiatrist is and lastly what I learnt on podiatry work experience. In terms of podiatry what else can I write. O I also talked about my future career what and where I'd like to see myself working one day.
Hi, iam a mature person of 42 years of age, who has a nvq 2 and 3 in beauty therapy, what do i need to get into podiatry, really been on my mind for 3 years. :smile:
hotdog 1234, you'd probably need an Access qual. I've just got into Podiatry at Cardiff Met and they particularly ask for Biology at level 3. The grades needed are comparatively low (a C in Biology A level or 15 Biology merits at Access for Cardiff) but recent study of science is important. I've just completed Access to Biological Science which is a great course. It's Chemistry and Biology with some basic Maths and English thrown in. It's weighted towards Biology so it's perfect for potential Podiatrists. You can do a Science Access, but who wants to do Physics if they don't have to?!

Quick Reply

Latest