The Student Room Group

Envy feelings - spoilt rich kids

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zara55
It sounds from your username as though you are a parent now. If you have a good lifestyle as they grow up, do you think you will "spoil" them more than you were, eg, give in to their wants for fashions, etc, more?

Actually no it's just a joke :tongue: I'm 21 and single.
I'll probably be well off when I have children, to what extent I don't know. I love nice baby clothes. I'm really anti flashy clothing, but I love that Petit Bateau look for children's clothes :smile:
It's difficult to say how things will turn out - when I was a child I didn't have that much interest in clothes, it came as I was about 12. I really hope my children will be allowed to remain children and not young Barbie dolls. But as they get older, teenagers etc, I will probably allow them a lot more than my parents allowed me as a teenager. As long as they end up being good people with morals, that's what's important. It's also important that they work hard at school. If they do all that, I honestly see no wrong in helping them out and give them a good lifestyle.
Reply 101
Original post by SEHughes
>implying Britain doesn't have poor social mobility compared to most of the developled world

No, implying that if you work hard and succeed you'll become rich - depending on your job.

Please, people move social class all the damn time, it's asinine to assume otherwise. Seriously.
Of course people can be socially mobile in Britain, it's just much harder than for some of our neighbours. Your tone suggested you think who your parents were has nothing to do with your success.
Original post by Gjaykay
No, implying that if you work hard and succeed you'll become rich - depending on your job.

Please, people move social class all the damn time, it's asinine to assume otherwise. Seriously.

Agreed.
Although people have different opinions on 'social class'. If you see social class as segmenting the population according to income, assets, fortune, education, manners, network, social status, accent and how old their money are - Britain is definitely rigid. As a foreigner, I have observed that people here seem to be more concerned with where you're from rather than who you are, or even what you have. Double-barrelled surnames and all that.

But the differences the OP seem to be referring to are related to wealth mostly and disposable income and this is definitely within everyone's own control.
Reply 104
Original post by Aconcernedparent

It's difficult to say how things will turn out - when I was a child I didn't have that much interest in clothes, it came as I was about 12. I really hope my children will be allowed to remain children and not young Barbie dolls. But as they get older, teenagers etc, I will probably allow them a lot more than my parents allowed me as a teenager. As long as they end up being good people with morals, that's what's important. It's also important that they work hard at school. If they do all that, I honestly see no wrong in helping them out and give them a good lifestyle.

I think when I have children as they grow older I will want them to enjoy life and to have every comfort and do exciting things sometimes that aren't comfortable. However, I think it quite easy for privileged children to be over-sheltered and sometimes rather oblivious of how life is for others, so I would also want them to be involved with other people and not shelter behind wealth.
Original post by slappyhours
work hard at school, get a good job to secure the lifestyle for your family that you were once envious of

Advice doesn't get any better than this. I'm serious.
Reply 106
Original post by Aconcernedparent

But the differences the OP seem to be referring to are related to wealth mostly and disposable income and this is definitely within everyone's own control.

Often not when you are a child or teenager though, which is OPs situation. I think young people are often confined to their role, either in poor circumstances or well-off.
Original post by UCLEmily
Often not when you are a child or teenager though, which is OPs situation. I think young people are often confined to their role, either in poor circumstances or well-off.

Yes of course you cannot change that as a child. I wrote that as a response to the general class mobility in the UK.
would you like to be someone who has 'nose in the air time?'
Reply 109
Original post by SleepySheep
My childhood has definitely motivated me to make sure I marry a good rich man and to work hard to look after my future kids. Just try to learn lessons from the **** parts of life rather than let them make you miserable.

Fixed :nothing:

Women, Y U NO be honest with us men!

:teehee:
find a rich boy, drop to your knees, open his fly, open your mouth

you get the idea.

Alternitvely stop thinking about what you dont have have and think about what you do have. Money isnt everything
Original post by UsualStudent
What's the best cure for having bad envy feelings?

I get really really jealous of girls who have such nice lives, i live in a mixed sort of area and i go to a school that tries hard to push us but my family have like zero money. On the way to school or in the street i see these girls my age with designer everything or lazing around in totally posh cars being driven to posh school in their posh uniforms. I get really incredibly jelly of them, not just for all the nice things they have either, they look really spoilt and happy and comfy. Its really really hard work to achieve anything for me but they look like its all dreamy and probs it is at least partly, i mean i know they probs have some hard things to do but everything is basically the best for them.

What's the cure? I see them every day and don't want to hate them but end up feeling that way. Then on TSR i have chatted with some really posh girls and they seem quite nice and normal and friendly, but there is like zero interaction in real life, if people like that see me and my friends in the shops or whatever its like nose in the air time!

What's the cure?

jelly.jpg

?
Reply 112
"Its really really hard work to achieve anything for me"

This seems like you are hopeless and your children will feel the same as how you feel now because you probably are too lazy to achieve anything as you are complaining about this..

Do something about it if you are jealous.

For anyone's information I probably come for a poorer family than OP lol. Spoiled kids - good for them, someone in their family most likely worked hard for it.
Reply 113
Original post by Domxmb
"Its really really hard work to achieve anything for me"

This seems like you are hopeless and your children will feel the same as how you feel now because you probably are too lazy to achieve anything as you are complaining about this..

Ooohhh, you're nice. Just feel like you're someone I would like to know, it kind of runs off the page.
Just because your parents didn't work hard enough at school does not mean that you should be envious of more well off people. it's not our fault that they love booz, fags and prostitutes more than you. :wink:
Reply 115
Original post by Fires
Ooohhh, you're nice. Just feel like you're someone I would like to know, it kind of runs off the page.

Yeah, too bad if you did know me you it wouldn't do anything for you? :smile:

Original post by travellingsalesman
Just because your parents didn't work hard enough at school does not mean that you should be envious of more well off people. it's not our fault that they love booz, fags and prostitutes more than you. :wink:

This, well not always because my parents are definitely not well off but not for these reasons but the reason usually is that hahaa.

Anyways, do something about it. I know by the time I'm my parents' age I'll be probably be somewhere on a vacation resort (if i decide to retire by then) doing whatever I want while being worth millions so if I have kids they'll be also live decent with a few luxuries (if deserved).
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending