The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
John Henry just posted this on Twitter.

http://petermcgurk.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Anfield

Pretty much about redevloping Anfield. I've only read the first blog, though.
Reply 2021
Apparently Spurs have made an wage of close to £70k or he is demanding that much, guess the deal's off.
The relationship with BR as many have said could be key. Surely this kid ain't that greedy?
Original post by mr tim
Apparently Spurs have made an wage of close to £70k or he is demanding that much, guess the deal's off.

I don't think he's worth 70k tbfh. Hoffenheim don't want him hence they sent him out on loan/willing to sell to Swansea for 6.5mil. Obviously they will be happier with the 8mil being touted.

Have we not learnt our lesson after chasing flavours of the month? Could easily become a Charlie Adam :colondollar:
The agent of Fiorentina winger Juan Manuel Vargas tells www.tuttomercatoweb.com that Liverpool are interested in signing the Peru international. "Liverpool is an option, but there is also Malaga that has the fascination of playing in next season's Champions League," said Jorge Cyterszpiler.

:colonhash: Get it done
Reply 2025
Original post by Zerforax
The agent of Fiorentina winger Juan Manuel Vargas tells www.tuttomercatoweb.com that Liverpool are interested in signing the Peru international. "Liverpool is an option, but there is also Malaga that has the fascination of playing in next season's Champions League," said Jorge Cyterszpiler.

:colonhash: Get it done

Would be good if we could sign him, but then Malaga can offer CL and more wages -.-
Reply 2026
I'm sorry Zerf, but I don't think Vargas is worth it. He was pretty poor last season. I'd only be looking at Jovetić and Nastasić from Fiorentina.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2027
Jovetic Jovetic Jovetic

There, I've said it 3 times now so it has to happen.
Reply 2028
Vargas is 28 so he will only be good for like 2 more years as a winger, and if we pay 10 million plus, I don't think we will get our money back from his contribution.
Reply 2029
Fiorentina apparently want 12m for Vargas. Would love Jovetic but haven't they said they want like 30m+? That'd be all of our rumoured budget
Reply 2030
Original post by mr tim

Let Spurs have him imo.. They will be paying him more than Bale.
Original post by Stirlo
Would be good if we could sign him, but then Malaga can offer CL and more wages -.-

What we can offer is premier league football which seems to be somewhat sort after for some reason and also more game time I think. Malaga have Santi Cazorla and Joaquín, both of whom big money was spent on and the former being one of their best players last season.

Original post by JoeK
I'm sorry Zerf, but I don't think Vargas is worth it. He was pretty poor last season. I'd only be looking at Jovetić and Nastasić from Fiorentina.

What position does Nastasić play primarily? I don't follow Serie A enough but one poor season doesn't make a player a bad player.

Original post by pbsjohnz
Vargas is 28 so he will only be good for like 2 more years as a winger, and if we pay 10 million plus, I don't think we will get our money back from his contribution.

Do players disappear at 30 or something? Vargas is known for his fitnes and his crossing. If he relied on pace, I'd agree with your point. It's too short minded to assume players can't go past 30 now. In the past, it was true but modern fitness, diet and improvements in physio and sports therapy means players are playing longer than before, and at a higher level. Giggs does alright at 38 so why can't Vargas go to 32 or more?

Money back from what? We're not a selling club and impact on the pitch will recoup money being spent. If he did well and helped us get back to CL football, would that not be a wise investment?

He could play both on both the left wing and at left back, would force competition on both Enrique and Downing to improve, without having to have 2 players for both positions + two sets of wages. Fiorentina don't have much money either, so I doubt he's on big wages at the moment (although question how much Malaga would be willing to throw at him as the competitive bar).

Original post by Stirlo
Fiorentina apparently want 12m for Vargas. Would love Jovetic but haven't they said they want like 30m+? That'd be all of our rumoured budget

He has a contract to 2016 too, I don't see him moving any time soon tbh.
Hmm just noticed Vargas turns 29 in October so he is pretty old.. sad times.
Reply 2033

What position does Nastasić play primarily? I don't follow Serie A enough but one poor season doesn't make a player a bad player.

He could play both on both the left wing and at left back, would force competition on both Enrique and Downing to improve, without having to have 2 players for both positions + two sets of wages. Fiorentina don't have much money either, so I doubt he's on big wages at the moment (although question how much Malaga would be willing to throw at him as the competitive bar).

Nastasić is a CB that can play LB. Great potential. For someone in his position he's got pretty strong intelligence already, he reads the game well. He can play a simple, short passing game as well. Only 19, already been called up for Serbia once.

Not saying we should get him, I'd give him another season at Fiorentina, but it's the kind of signing I'd like us to attempt more often.

EDIT: We also don't really need anyone in this position right now.

-------------

Whilst I agree that one bad season doesn't make a bad player, I just don't see it working. :dontknow: It's just a gut instinct, really.

The one thing that does make me wonder, though, is the reason that you've put above, that he can cover both LB and LW. I do think we need someone to compete with Enrique, and someone that can be above Robinson in the pecking order.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2034

He has a contract to 2016 too, I don't see him moving any time soon tbh.

Did the Fiorentina owner say Jovetic was gonna leave the club this summer? He's been angling for a bigger move for years there's a really good chance he'll do it this summer. But yeah 30m is a lot.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Saf94
Did the Fiorentina owner say Jovetic was gonna leave the club this summer? He's been angling for a bigger move for years there's a really good chance he'll do it this summer. But yeah 30m is a lot.

I think between Fiorentina needing to balance the books and Jovetic probably wanting a more competitive team/CL football means they would be willing to sell for the right price.
Reply 2036
I think between Fiorentina needing to balance the books and Jovetic probably wanting a more competitive team/CL football means they would be willing to sell for the right price.

I think we could get him for a similar price as Suarez. Fiorentina said they won't stand in the way if he wants to leave, and they need money as you say.

Original post by JoeK
I think we could get him for a similar price as Suarez. Fiorentina said they won't stand in the way if he wants to leave, and they need money as you say.

I think we got Suarez cheaper because of his.. err character. He had just had his lengthy ban for biting another player. Don't think anyone else was really in the market for him and we got him for 25mil euros.

With Jovetic, think he's captain or vice or something with either Fiorentina/Montenegro? He's had a long lay off with injury which may reduce his price but otherwise he was in decent form both before and after the injury. I'd imagine other teams may go after him, depending on the price.

Could we get him for 25mil euros? I'm not so sure. Probably closer to £30mil or 30mil euros?

We do need to work out a formation to get the best out of our players.. Can we play both Suarez and Carroll? We spent a lot of money on the duo..
Reply 2038
I thought Chelsea had enquired about Jovetic and were told a bid of about 30m was needed. May be mistaken
Original post by Stirlo
I thought Chelsea had enquired about Jovetic and were told a bid of about 30m was needed. May be mistaken

I've read this somewhere to...

Latest