The Student Room Group

Any advice of how best to revise A2 English lit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Brownie anyone?
I am literally stuffed for this exam on the 20th June...my memory for revising quotes is awful, and I am currently trying to write as many essays as I can, but I'm really struggling with the structuring of the essay.

So basically my question is, how on earth does everyone else manage to cram enough quotes from 2 plays and 46 poems to cover anything an exam can throw at you, plus all the analysis, historical contexts and critics to do well in the exam?

And does anyone have any exemplar essays, because I honestly do not know what I am doing, and want to cry every time I try and revise :frown:

wow which board is that!! well I guess you just learn the important quotes and just learn critics and historical backgrounds. also remember, you can refer to the text and it should count as a 'kinda quote' as my teacher says, but just try your best really. it's the effort you put in that counts and good luck!! :smile:
Original post by withersss
YEah it's AQA. What's the difference between UMS and raw marks?

Your UMS score is the mark after the standardise your scores and raw marks are the actual scores you get in the exam (sorry if this isn't very clear :tongue:)
Original post by withersss
Does anyone know how the whole A level adds up together? On my college website it says the exam is worth 120UMS but on a sheet of paper that my teacher gave me it said only 80UMS because section A and section B are only worth 40 each? I'm so confused :frown:

The exam is out of 120 UMS marks: this is what counts.

It is so confusing, but for some reason section A and B are worth 40 marks each (the raw marks). The examiner will mark out of 80. Then, they round these marks up to the UMS system (out of 120). The UMS marking system is a mystery to us all; though I think they use it to ensure that the marks and grades (as a whole) represent the different spread of grades available.
Reply 23
Original post by weetabixmonster
ALSO. I know a lot of people don't like doing this, but use the 'buzzwords' in the mark scheme. When you're discussing language, for example, say something like 'when critically assessing the language used in...'. However interesting your point may be, the examiner doesn't really care. By using the words in the mark scheme it provides a little mental tick to the examiner that you are definitely fulfilling the criteria. Otherwise, it is much more subjective and disputable whether or not you are actually assessing and evaluating language / form /structure / etc. I hated making it so obvious, but I think it's necessary with English Lit A level!

Omg you have been so much help! Thank you! :biggrin: xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending