The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology 2012 B1 B2 B3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bobbricks
Do you mean the question which was about why body cells cannot grow into an embryo? Well, I wrote that body cells would need an electric shock to divide and that it would need to be placed inside another animal so it received enough nutrients.

A friend wrote that body cells lose their ability to differentiate.

But I'n not sure which is correct. :frown: Also, I accidentally drew a tiny line into the bar code on one of the pages...Do you think they would accept it and still be able to scan it?

What did you write about the question on the holes in the heart?

I wrote that cells lose their ability to differentiate, too. I believe that the electrolysis stance was to be put in the penultimate box in the question above with regards to Copy Cat and the nuclear cloning process.

For the holes in the heart question, I just blabbed about aerobic respiration being harder as deoxygenated blood can merge with oxygenated blood, and, as a result, less O2 being delivered to the respiring cells. More lactic acid produced and so forth.

Original post by shadab786ahmed
I wrote convex instead of concave :// and other than that I think I've only made tiny mistakes :P hopefully an A* you?

Lol, I put accomodation lenses. I opened the paper and was like... yeah, I know absolutely zero about eyes..

I also wrote about vasoconstriction/ vasodilation and when it expands its skin thing, it increases surface area which increases the amount of heat absorbed but more is also lost...

Ditto that. I also said that (since they said in the q "change in behavior") he climbed onto a rock in order to absorb more heat from the sun through vasodilation (+ absorb from radiation). Then, as the sun rose and the temperature increased, he would have to retreat into shade and contract his web or whatever thing he used to absorb heat.

We did a mock with the new specification and the mark scheme was 55% for an A I believe. Nobody in my top set for Biology achieved an A*.
What did people put for the DNA replication question? I said some stuff about DNA unzipping with mRNA and then protein synthesis (complementary base pairing with A-T .etc).
(edited 11 years ago)
that would be good and we could search the answers but i cant remember half of the questions :/
the first one was about short sighted people and how the wrong lens could cause problems i think?
Reply 42
What did people put for the neuron transmitter substance question? PS. I completely failed this exam :frown:
it seems that we all found it quite challenging so hopefully the grade boundaries will be low!
for DNA rep i put that the double helix unzips, exposing the bases, then spare bases in the nucleus join with their complementary pair and hydrogen bonds are formed forming two new copies.
For neurotransmitter i put about impulses not passing from neurone to neurone as they cant pass the synapse... so the brain doesnt function properly - what did you put?
Reply 44
Yay! I put the same! :biggrin:
Reply 45
Which type of lens did you put on the 2nd question? I put concave but it was a guess :s-smilie:
Original post by rosii

For the holes in the heart question, I just blabbed about aerobic respiration being harder as deoxygenated blood can merge with oxygenated blood, and, as a result, less O2 being delivered to the respiring cells. More lactic acid produced and so forth.

We did a mock with the new specification and the mark scheme was 55% for an A I believe. Nobody in my top set for Biology achieved an A*.
What did people put for the DNA replication question? I said some stuff about DNA unzipping with mRNA and then protein synthesis (complementary base pairing with A-T .etc).

DNA replication also takes place during mitosis and meisosis by the way :wink:. I wrote the DNA structure unwinds so there are now two single strands. New strands form via complementary base pairing. This information was memorised straight from the specification so it should be correct. However, the question was three marks so I assumeed the third mark was for a diagram and thus drew an abysmal diagram to show this. :P
1) a) what is wrong with the shape of lens that causes problems...

What lens can correct it?

What is an allele?

Diagram asking how can we tell that allele is recessive for that Ilness..

Genetic diagram for host and carrier...
Original post by jack.c1214
Which type of lens did you put on the 2nd question? I put concave but it was a guess :s-smilie:

Concave is the correct answer :smile:
1) a) what is wrong with the shape of lens that causes problems...

What lens can correct it?

What is an allele?

Diagram asking how can we tell that allele is recessive for that Ilness..

Genetic diagram for host and carrier...

What did you write for the first and third questions? :wink:
6 marker about fats and heart related deaths...

What else? On B1
Reply 51
6 marker about fats and heart related deaths...

What else? On B1

There was a question about a family tree?!:confused: cant really remember the rest!
Reply 52
DNA replication also takes place during mitosis and meisosis by the way :wink:. I wrote the DNA structure unwinds so there are now two single strands. New strands form via complementary base pairing. This information was memorised straight from the specification so it should be correct. However, the question was three marks so I assumeed the third mark was for a diagram and thus drew an abysmal diagram to show this. :P

Naaaw, do you think a mark could have been gained from mentioning mitosis/meisosis? I do feel that we were not quizzed enough about the differences between them.

What was going on with that saturated fat question? I mean, seriously... arguments for/against? I just wrote that scientists could argue for his theory as a high proportion of sat. fat in a diet can cause heart disease through clogging of arteries and the heart having to pump hard and compensate for it. Then, as a counter-argument, teh fact that a high amount of fat in each diet may be relative to the country's staple food/ persons individual diet (e.g: someone may require high amounts of energy for strenuous exercise).

What was the right definition of an allele? I put to turn a gene on/or off in the amino acids of DNA... hmmm?
b1 - drugs.
one question was why do drugs have a classification system and another one was using the table where we filled in the gaps (75000 and 5000?) and then had to write which was the dangerous i think?
then the neurotransmitter question
im not sure if the mutation question was in b1 - suggest how a change in DNA can cause illnesses like cancer?
Reply 54
Original post by rosii
Naaaw, do you think a mark could have been gained from mentioning mitosis/meisosis? I do feel that we were not quizzed enough about the differences between them.

What was going on with that saturated fat question? I mean, seriously... arguments for/against? I just wrote that scientists could argue for his theory as a high proportion of sat. fat in a diet can cause heart disease through clogging of arteries and the heart having to pump hard and compensate for it. Then, as a counter-argument, teh fact that a high amount of fat in each diet may be relative to the country's staple food/ persons individual diet (e.g: someone may require high amounts of energy for strenuous exercise).

What was the right definition of an allele? I put to turn a gene on/or off in the amino acids of DNA... hmmm?

I wrote that an allele is a different version of the same gene
That was b2 so.we have a list of B1.
Reply 56
Original post by sunshine12321
b1 - drugs.
one question was why do drugs have a classification system and another one was using the table where we filled in the gaps (75000 and 5000?) and then had to write which was the dangerous i think?
then the neurotransmitter question
im not sure if the mutation question was in b1 - suggest how a change in DNA can cause illnesses like cancer?

Oh yeah,and name another drug that is a hallucinogen!??
Reply 57
And we had to say why drugs are ordered in classes!
so... b1 (im just trying to see if it adds up to 25 marks)
the first eye question [3]
which lens [1]
what is an allele [1]
how can well tell its recessive-family tree [2] ??
genetic diagram [3]
6 marker-heart disease,saturated fats [6]
why drugs are ordered in classes [2]
another hallucinogen [1]
the table with two gaps [2] ??
which is most dangerous [2]
neurotransmitter question [3] ??
this adds up to 26 so i think i have done something wrong?
Reply 59
What did people put for "What is need to show a pyramid of Biomass?" or something like that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending