The Student Room Group

The London Underground: Love It or Hate It?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Pi!
Love it! It has its own typeface, Johnston, which looks like this:

It's better than just using Helvetica, like on the New York Subway. Look at the dots on the i's.

/typeface nerd

High five! Never met anyone else who knew about Johnston. I love the tube too! Whether I'm baking hot and sardined (invented a new word :tongue: ) in central London or coasting on an empty carriage through the suburbs the fun of rattling through the tunnels and seeing all the lovely architecture of the stations never wears off.
Original post by SacredWolf
You hate it until you go to a city without it. Then you're counting the days before you return to civilisation.

THIS. Although to be fair, I actually think life is far more civilised in my uni town, but still :tongue:

The first time I came home from uni and got the tube into Central London...I felt ridiculously happy! It just reminds me of home :smile: The Berlin metro is pretty efficient, but I still MUCH prefer the London tube to the Paris metro....
i like the underground, only time i hate it is proper rush hour peak times, and then if you're with mates we just laugh at people so its all good most of the time
Reply 43
I absolutely love it for some reason. It's just... exciting.
If you take it for granted, check out Paris' metro or New York's subway. they are filthy, dark, always boiling hot and quite honestly terrifying. the london underground, however, is rather pleasant!
Never been, but I've seen it on films and it looks amazing! So I voted for love it, even though I haven't been... :redface:
Reply 45
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
the least reliable service,

Train every 2-5 mins I've got no complaints with the service. When you compare it to national rail in London then you will know about unreliable lol.

and is so outdated you can tell it was built in the Victorian times.

That's what I love about it :tongue: It's like stepping into a museum! I remember I was at Warwick Avenue once and all the exposed iron beans with rivets and brown terracotta tiling made it all look like some steampunk fantasy.

But even our Piccadilly Line, which serves all 5 terminals at Heathrow and takes tourists into central London, MAKES NO EFFORT TO BE TIDY nor to make a good first impression to foreigners who are coming over here on a budget for a bit of tourism.:angry:

Hey if they wanna travel in style to central London then that is what the Heathrow Express is for. Remember the Piccadilly line is practically the "ghetto train" between King's Cross St Pancras and Southgate then has to deal with shifting tons of rowdy revellers in central London so it is unreasonable to expect it to look as shiny and clean as the Heathrow Express upon arrival at Heathrow.

When I go to a foreign country, the first thing I research is how do I get to my hotel from the airport (usually I cannot speak the language). Most good airports have clearly signposted directions in many languages to a multitude of transport options to take new tourists to their destinations.

Not the Tube.

They got a poster inside the carriage somewhere in a couple languages with a number to call if you're lost. What more do you want lool.
The Met line can be tedious at the best of times, especially eastern edge into Harrow-On-The-Hill, but I still love using it and feel pretty darn cool racing past the tourists knowing my way around every station. :cool:
I can see why people that use it every day would hate it, but personally I love it - I pretty much love the buzz of a big city in general, haha.

I recently travelled the length of the Jubilee line from Stanmore to Stratford (not for fun, I was going to Westfield!) and it's an interesting journey - starts of quiet, then fills with family types, then near Canary Wharf it starts to get really packed with business-y types, then it empties out again and rolls into Stratford relatively quiet again. An hour of people watching... call me weird, but its pretty interesting :tongue:

Did anyone watch 'The Tube' when it was on TV not so long ago? I was gutted there was only 6 episodes!
Reply 48
i chose love it for its sheer conveniance and how easy it is to use

i do really hate the fact that there always seems to be some broken signal so the next 3 hours of trains are cancelled -_- or some selfish prick decides to toss himself infront of the tube so i miss my connection and the price!. other than those little gripes its great though :smile:
It always feels depressing and not exciting even though I use it once a year at most. Plus I've seen the awesome trains in zurich, germany etc. and how efficient they are :smile:
Original post by jordanW241
I can see why people that use it every day would hate it, but personally I love it - I pretty much love the buzz of a big city in general, haha.

I recently travelled the length of the Jubilee line from Stanmore to Stratford (not for fun, I was going to Westfield!) and it's an interesting journey - starts of quiet, then fills with family types, then near Canary Wharf it starts to get really packed with business-y types, then it empties out again and rolls into Stratford relatively quiet again. An hour of people watching... call me weird, but its pretty interesting :tongue:

Did anyone watch 'The Tube' when it was on TV not so long ago? I was gutted there was only 6 episodes!

Yes, I did watch the Tube; darn interesting!! Some people are sooo rude though, like in the first episode; despite ample warning that Harrow station would be closed, people didnt listen and then were rude to the staff. Got my back up big time!! Plus the selfish "one-under" people who do it on purpose, caused nothing but disruption, and then people still blame LUL!! The cheek of it!!
Original post by jordanW241

I love the people-watching aspect of the tube. I just find the whole thing so interesting!

I watched it to! I know how you feel, I wish it had run for longer :frown:
Reply 52
i have to take the tube across london everyday, and i have mixed feelings about it :tongue:

i love that its so easy and quick to travel so far, i love that it is relatively cheap (if you have an oyster card), i love that it enabled me to go to the school i wanted, i love that it has some funny adverts and signs, i love that there are some hilarious people on the tube :biggrin:

i dislike how bond street smells atm :frown:, i dislike how sweaty and moist the carriages get in the summer (especially unpleasant with a blazer and a backpack), i dislike the rude people who wont move down the carriage or who wont pick their bags off the seat, i dislike how they dont run through the night, i dislike it when they have tube strikes.

i'll probably come back and add more looool :tongue:
Original post by tory88
I prefer it to buses, but I'm not a massive fan. Especially after seeing how much better the similar system in Munich is.

Munich S bahn is excellent, hope Crossrail will be as good.

The main thing I don't like about the tube is that the two very attractive women who often used to travel from Totteridge and Whetstone have moved or stopped travelling.
Reply 54
i hate it but gota love the drama that goes on sometimes and how agitated and miserable other people look while travel whilst im happy :biggrin:
I like it personally.
Hahaha so true. I always act like I am doing something on my phone even though I have no reception.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
I've commuted on it and I love it, I rarely have problems getting a seat even in peak times and I also love reading The Metro.
Original post by cat_in_the_hat
i love it, i have family in london and go every year so it kind of makes me feel nostalgic when i go on the tube :smile:

i know that feel :colondollar:
I go to London every year and used to live there. I don't really like trains as most are usually crowded and then it's really noisy when it's moving. I prefer the overground trains .
But then in London I'd rather get the tube then the buses as places are so far away and the bus takes so much longer to get to on the bus.

Quick Reply

Latest