Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not happy with diagnosis - opinions+help please (a level on thursday)!

Announcements Posted on

So I called NHS direct today with symptoms of, an iud, 3 week late period and abdominal pain.

They sent me to the walk in centre, he did a pregnancy test and had a feel of my tummy for pain.

He said it was a difficult diagnosis but said it was probably a pelvic infection and he's given me 2 sets of antibiotics.

I really don't think it's a pelvic infection though, because my period is also 3 weeks late (it's usually really regular).

He said to start the antibiotics and then if I am still on pain on monday to go and see my gp.

My first a level exam is on thursday, I NEED a definite diagnosis and treatment NOW. I can't deal with all this waiting for things whilst I'm still in pain.

What can I do?! The worst possible timing ever for this

P.s I am in lots of pain!

And the visit to the gp is for a possible referral for a scan and possible removal of my iud because it may be that which is the problem
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Late period could be related to stress or weight loss.

(Original post by OU Student)
    Late period could be related to stress or weight loss.
    Definitely haven't lost weight... could be stress but it's been 28 day regular for 8 years! Seems strange for them to be unrelated
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    P.s I am in lots of pain!

And the visit to the gp is for a possible referral for a scan and possible removal of my iud because it may be that which is the problem
    Do you mean intrauterine contraceptive device or intrauterine death?

(Original post by Helenia)
    Do you mean intrauterine contraceptive device or intrauterine death?
    Contraceptive device it's non-hormonal.

I am so confused about what to do I really don't think I have a pelvic infection and the pain is getting worse

I seriously think it's a cyst (I had one picked up on an ultrasound) and it could also be affecting my period??
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    Contraceptive device it's non-hormonal.

I am so confused about what to do I really don't think I have a pelvic infection and the pain is getting worse

I seriously think it's a cyst (I had one picked up on an ultrasound) and it could also be affecting my period??
    Cysts don't usually affect your period but can cause pain. If you've had a negative pregnancy test then the most serious thing (ectopic, which is an increased risk with an IUD) is ruled out. IUDs can cause pelvic infections, so that's certainly a possibility. The doctor won't have had easy access to ultrasound on a weekend, hence starting the antibiotics so that any infection can start being treated. If the pain is still bad on Monday then go to your GP and get re-examined. Sometimes the diagnosis is not clear on the first presentation and after a few days it has become more so.

In the meantime, if the pain gets unbearable or if you get any other symptoms (bleeding, dizziness etc), go to A&E. But don't go there just hoping to get a quicker scan - that won't work.

Cysts don't usually affect your period but can cause pain. If you've had a negative pregnancy test then the most serious thing (ectopic, which is an increased risk with an IUD) is ruled out. IUDs can cause pelvic infections, so that's certainly a possibility. The doctor won't have had easy access to ultrasound on a weekend, hence starting the antibiotics so that any infection can start being treated. If the pain is still bad on Monday then go to your GP and get re-examined. Sometimes the diagnosis is not clear on the first presentation and after a few days it has become more so.

In the meantime, if the pain gets unbearable or if you get any other symptoms (bleeding, dizziness etc), go to A&E. But don't go there just hoping to get a quicker scan - that won't work.
    Thank you. I've had the pain for about a week and a half (I initially thought it was my period coming). The pain is bearable, it's just annoying because it's such a critical time for me to be revising at the moment. And I know I can't really go to a+e, I just really want a proper diagnosis asap and get it treated because my first exam is thursday. I can't afford to have this pain for any longer
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I've had the pain for about a week and a half (I initially thought it was my period coming). The pain is bearable, it's just annoying because it's such a critical time for me to be revising at the moment. And I know I can't really go to a+e, I just really want a proper diagnosis asap and get it treated because my first exam is thursday. I can't afford to have this pain for any longer
    If the worst comes to the worst, you need to get medical exemption/special consideration for the exam - your school will be able to tell you what their procedure is.

If the worst comes to the worst, you need to get medical exemption/special consideration for the exam - your school will be able to tell you what their procedure is.
    What does that do??? I can't afford to **** up at all i won't get into uni!
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does that do??? I can't afford to **** up at all i won't get into uni!
    I don't know the exact procedure as I have never had to use it myself, but basically if you're ill and unable to take an exam/not able to prepare for it properly, then there are ways and means of getting special consideration so that either your predicted grade is used, or you're allowed to retake at another time without penalty, or if your university is involved, they may be more lenient if you miss an offer. These only work if you tell your school early though, and they may want evidence from a doctor, so find out from them ASAP what would be needed. It is much easier to tell them in advance that there's a problem than to struggle through the exam and tell them after.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.